Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-19-2017, 09:47 AM
Jaywalker
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MkII Trigger

I just picked up a slightly-used 1988 blue steel MkII Target (bull barrel). Call it 99%+; I find no blue wear or even much evidence of shooting.

The trigger is surprisingly good - 3-1/4 pounds with just a hint of creep and no overtravel.

I haven't had a MkII in over 20 years - is this typical out of the box or does it appear it's had work done?
Old 03-19-2017, 12:09 PM
irishbob

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Maybe? Take some pictures, including the sear and hammer, if you can.
Old 03-19-2017, 01:32 PM
Jaywalker
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Haven't learned how to disassemble/reassemble yet.

I think I'd better shoot it first before I risk having to take to a gunsmith as a bag full of parts.

Thanks anyway.

Old 03-19-2017, 02:25 PM
Empe
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
It's quite possible that it came that way from the factory . Some of them can be surprisingly good out of the box . The MK II target models came with an adjustment screw for over travel only so it's also possible that it has been adjusted by a previous owner as well.
My daughter has a MK III that has a pretty good trigger pull that sounds similar to what you describe . It's a fairly crisp release but has some over travel . I decided to leave it as is.
Since you say yours appears to not have had much use you may find the trigger pull will improve with several hundred rounds through the gun.
Old 03-19-2017, 04:12 PM
Jaywalker
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Empe View Post
Since you say yours appears to not have had much use you may find the trigger pull will improve with several hundred rounds through the gun.
That shouldn't take long - it looks like a neat pistol to shoot. Thanks.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:59 PM
DinoC
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mk II disassembly difficulty

Jaywalker, for what it is worth, some of us think the disassembly issues with the Mk II are completely over blown. The instructions are all over the internet and YouTube.

Don't be afraid to pull that bolt and clean up when the lube and wax builds up from using standard velocity ammo. The best target ammo tends to be lead with lube and it will make enough mess after one or two bricks that you will need to get the gunk out of the bolt face, even if you don't need to clean the bbl.
Old 03-20-2017, 11:40 AM
Jaywalker
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Haven't shot it yet so I don't know if feeding/ejection will be sluggish or brisk, that is, whether it needs to be pulled or not.

I do occasionally have trouble reassembling firearms so I don't want to jump into it if it isn't necessary immediately.

I do want to find out if there were any changes made to it so I expect I'll pull it sooner rather than later.
Old 03-20-2017, 03:40 PM
Wonderman
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
trigger

Little creep and NO over-travel are sure results from trigger work on a MKII. Does your trigger have an over-travel screw/stop??
Old 03-20-2017, 04:37 PM
wooster

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
MK II is a great gun

Congratulations on your recent purchase. If your ruger is anything like mine, it'll shoot anything with no jams and rarely really need cleaning. So have fun and shoot a bunch. That being said (oh no, I'm talking like a pol !) taking the gun apart and reassembling is easy, once you get the hang of it. So, in any spare moments, look for disassembly/reassembly videos (try for MK II videos vs the slightly more involved MK III) on you tube so as to be ready whenever the time comes.
Wooster who knows a shooter or two who are hesitant to disassemble their ruger semi-auto pistols.
Old 03-20-2017, 07:00 PM
Jaywalker
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderman View Post
Little creep and NO over-travel are sure results from trigger work on a MKII. Does your trigger have an over-travel screw/stop??
No overtravel screw on the trigger itself, no. There may be a tiny bit of overtravel, but I can't be sure - if it's there, it's small. The creep is maybe two "stops" when pressing slowly, but very short - I first thought it was one quantum of creep, but it's two.

I'll be shooting it tomorrow.
Old 03-21-2017, 01:13 PM
Jaywalker
US Air Force

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I fired it today.

I believe it had been un-fired prior to today. That little double-quanta of creep is now missing after 100 or so rounds, leaving the trigger better than before. I suspect it wouldn't have been there in the first place if it had been fired before. And it was just too clean!

It's dirty now. It shot well, best with some standard velocity CCI lead round nose. I'll likely stay with something like that.

The only minor discrepancy was the rear sight pivot pin walking out. I'll likely pull it and bend it slightly and replace it.