Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Marlin 60 feeding/jamming issue

6K views 14 replies 5 participants last post by  Popeye1959 
#1 ·
Took my Marlin Model 60 to the range this morning. About every 2nd or 3rd round would jam partially in the chamber. Need a screwdriver to pop the bent ones out. some that didn't look bent could be lifted with the screwdriver and slid into the chamber where they would fire and eject without issue. Generally the round following that would also cycle fine. Used both Geco Semi-Auto and Remington Target ammo. Hoping it just needs a cleaning.

See less See more
#5 ·
I looked and couldn't see anything obviously broken, missing or damaged. I did see a bunch of crud that could be causing the bullet to not feed properly. I held the action and bolt in my hand and put a round on the lifter. When I slid the bolt forward to grab the round, it didn't really seem to lock under the extractors. Maybe that's because the round wasn't being leverage in by entering the chamber.

#14 ·
The action has never been apart as far as I know. I looked and the feed throat piece is a one piece version. I was thinking the lifter wasn't pushing the rounds up as much as it should, manually working the bolt over the action, the rounds seem to slip in place half-heartedly. As a just in case, I have a new feed throat and lifter spring being delivered today. I'll look to see if the spring is in the wrong position when I get home. If it is and I can take care of that, then I have spare parts.

#15 ·
Once I found the time to disassemble the action - a mildly daunting task as I've never even seen one disassembled before, I took it down to just enough to get the feed throat and lifter and lifter spring out. Comparing the new and old springs side by side showed the spring was probably the issue. There was at least 20degrees difference between the two. Replaced the spring and feed throat (doubt I needed to do that but since I bought the part, why not) and cleaned the chamber. After a little tweeking of the spring after watching a nickel tip YouTube video, I tested the rifle. I loaded the magazine with 10 rounds 3 times and shot both slow fire and rapid fire. No jams or hiccups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.