17HM2 & 5mm Mag On the Shelf - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-23-2017, 08:04 PM
Turboshaft
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
17HM2 & 5mm Mag On the Shelf

Big news from the The Island of Misfit Rimfires today as a source for both 17HM2 and 5mm Magnum ammo has been found. Today we visited Collector Rifle & Ammo in Hopewell Junction, NY. for the first time. The place is just crammed with ammo, guns, and accessories. We just stood in one spot and tried to take it all in for a while. We found CCI and Hornady 17HM2 in bricks and boxes. They also had boxes of Remington 17HM2. We found Centurion 5mm Mag and also Remington green box. None of it was cheap. We paid $12 a box for the Hornady Mach 2 and $45 per box for the Centurion 5mm Mag. Like I said, it wasn't cheap but it was there in good quantity. I took several boxes home with me. The owner, Scott, helped me out with finding several magazines for my vintage rimfire rifles, including a mag for one of my Rem 591s. If you should drop by, tell them you saw this on RFC.
Old 05-02-2017, 09:41 PM
Turboshaft

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Stopped in at Fur Fin & Feather Sports Shop in Livingston Manor, NY. It was a first time visit. They have boxes and boxes of vintage ammo. We were delighted to find both 17HM2, new Hornady production, and Centurion 5mm Mag ammo on the shelf at reasonable prices. The owner says that he puts a little bit out on the shelf so as not to get cleaned out all at once. I've stopped in twice and picked up a few boxes each time.
Old 05-03-2017, 04:45 AM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Always good to find a source of ammo.

Old 05-03-2017, 05:07 PM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Perhaps the promised release of Mach 2 ammo is for real. I found 9 boxes at Cabela's in KC,KS earlier this afternoon for $8.99 per box. I bought all of it. Now I'm ready for my next prairie dog hunt.
Old 05-03-2017, 06:11 PM
SWUtah

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
4th digit

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbates66 View Post
Perhaps the promised release of Mach 2 ammo is for real. I found 9 boxes at Cabela's in KC,KS earlier this afternoon for $8.99 per box. I bought all of it. Now I'm ready for my next prairie dog hunt.
Pretty sure there has not yet been a production run in 2017. Look at the 4th digit of the 6-digit code printed on the side of the boxes. If it's an 'X', that is 2016 production. Only if that digit is a 'Y' is it 2017 production.

Glad you got some and $8.99 is a reasonable price from a big-box store.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:28 PM
Turboshaft

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbates66 View Post
I've pleaded with my local Cabelas to order some 17HM2 and 218 Bee. I cant get anyone to give a darn about it. I keep filling out those stupid retail surveys and telling them what I want and it falls on deaf ears.
Old 05-04-2017, 09:14 AM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have asked this Cabela's if they could order some and the guy said they never order Mach 2 ammo. So I was shocked when I found it on the shelf.
Old 05-04-2017, 11:14 AM
SWUtah

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Not yet

Nobody's going to have any to purchase until the CCI Idaho factory produces some more for Hornady. AFAIK none has been produced in 2017, and any that someone manages to find/buy is left over from last year's production.

I think many gun counter employees at Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, Bass Pro Shop, etc. don't even know what it is, and the individual stores don't have leeway to order stuff on their own anyway. Just keep your eyes and ears peeled for when it does show up. Latest word from Hornady customer service is "May/June". Believe it when you see it.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:16 PM
JCIII

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just save your lunch money and be ready to jump on it when it comes up for sale. RFC members have been instrumental in letting everyone here know when/where it hits. Keep an eye peeled here and be ready to drop the coin when you find it. I bought 3 bricks of Hornady in a couple of weeks time near the end of the year last year all due to selfless members here putting out the word.
Old 05-07-2017, 06:55 PM
usmc1983
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Holy cow. A couple of years ago I sold my 17HM2, and the couple hundred rounds I still had, because I couldn't find the ammo anymore. I have not seen 17HM2 on the shelves, for at least 3 years....around my area anyways!
Old 05-11-2017, 11:31 AM
Edward78

TPC Rating: 
94% (16)
Send a message via AIM to Edward78 Send a message via Yahoo to Edward78
I still have a little over 1500 rnds of Eley but the day will come when I need more
Old 06-06-2017, 09:08 PM
Turboshaft

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
It was a good day on the Island of Misfit Rimfires. We found a dusty old brick of Hornady 17HM2 in the back behind the other ammo at MasterArms in Sloatsburg, NY.
The sticker price of $9.49 had been marked down to $7.95 so naturally we bought the whole brick. The fellas behind the counter were friendly and pleasant to deal with.
Later on we found a couple of more boxes of 17HM2 at A&J Arms in Bardonia, NY. At $15/box of 50 we left them there for some more deserving soul to pick up.
Old 06-07-2017, 09:02 PM
Turboshaft

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
OK, Here are some more 17HM2 sightings for those of you with deep pockets. Good Guys Guns in Nanuet, NY has about five boxes of Hornady on the shelf for only $18 per box. The guy told me he would make me a deal for five boxes of $15/box cash. They're still there. Davis Sports in Goshen, NY is practically giving away about a dozen boxes of Mach2 ammo for $18/box. Tri State Fire Arms Exchange in Vernon, NJ has a few boxes of Hornady for $10/box. When I get there he won't sell it to me because I don't have a NJ Firearms ID card. The state law requires an ID card for the purchase of handgun ammo. 17Mach2 is generally considered to be a rifle ammo, but I guess there is the oddball Taurus revolver or Contender that might be chambered in it as well. The three boxes are still there for an appropriately licensed individual.