Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Brass will not eject

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  thebuilderman 
#1 ·
I have a nagging issue and I wonder if it is the ammo or something else is going on. Too many of my shot brass is lodged in the barrel and the extractor cannot pull it out. I actually have to use a cleaning rod pushed through the muzzle to force it out.

I have replaced the extractor, and I keep the barrel super clean. I am using inexpensive Aguila ammo. My mark III typical eats anything I throw at it.

I am going to pick up a few hundred rounds of something diferent to see if the problem stops. If it is the ammo, I guess I will run the Aguila through my revolver. Extremely frustrating.

Thanks

Pete

#2 ·
There are only two things that are likely to make empty brass tight in a chamber that wasn't tight before: peening from the firing pin hitting the breech and carbon buildup. If the FP is hitting the breech you can see it. Probably that's not your problem. To clean the dreaded carbon ring, soak the chamber with a patch wet with your favorite cleaning solvent for as long as you are willing to wait - up to a couple of hours. Then put a brush on a rod and scrub the inch of barrel forward of the breech. Rotate the brush as you push in and out. Then clean normally and see if it's looser. You might need to do it a few times. in stubborn cases, putting the brush on a drill and turning it slowly works.

Carbon buildup happens in spite of normal cleaning.

#3 ·
Good chance CardPuncher is onto something here.

I had a gunked-up Savage MK II chamber.

Got a bore mop and worked some JB Bore Paste into it, After marking the end of the chamber on the cleaning rod using blue tape, I chucked the short cleaning rod into a variable speed DeWalt cordless drill, and carefully polished up the chamber.

Now everything slicks right out. Worked very carefully and slowly. Don't want to alter the lede.

#5 ·
Good chance CardPuncher is onto something here.

I had a gunked-up Savage MK II chamber.

Got a bore mop and worked some JB Bore Paste into it, After marking the end of the chamber on the cleaning rod using blue tape, I chucked the short cleaning rod into a variable speed DeWalt cordless drill, and carefully polished up the chamber.

Now everything slicks right out. Worked very carefully and slowly. Don't want to alter the lede.
Thanks. That is an interesting technic that I might try sometime or if I experience similar problems as the OP.

#6 ·
Well it is super clean now. I really couldn't tell if it was gunked up. I dropped a bullet in there and it goes right in, no problem. Ejector grabs it and pulls it out; no resistance at all. Hopefully that was the issue. Thank you.

The only other thing I can think of is that the bolt is not cycling back completely with some of these rounds and the bullet trying to feed dents/deforms the fired brass and it get forced back in when we drop the magazine out to fix it. We shall see. They are not subsonic, actually high velocity, so it should not be doing that. Pete

#9 ·
Dirty chamber ??

A dirty chamber could be the problem and a good cleaning could fix it or there might be some gunk in the breach face pocket where the extractor fits into, make sure that is clean as well, a old dental pick works great. The other problem of the bolt not going all the way to the pin stop , could be a bent recoil rod , this can be hard to check out because it can't be disassembled, you would need to replace this recoil assembly or try turning the U shaped end 180 and putting back in place , put the bolt back into the pistol , after gun is back together, pull the bolt back so the hammer is set , then slowly pull the bolt back slowly, if the recoil pin is bent you may feel a rubbing on the top of the receiver, also do you have a red dot on this pistol , the third screw that holds the base on could be to long , while apart , take a flashlight and a dental pick and make sure the screw that close to the rear site is not sticking into the inside of the receiver. I use to have a Ruger Government target model that I would shoot till the bolt wouldn't close , I'd take it home disassemble it clean it completely, put back together and do the same thing , did that for about 18 years , always oiled the bolt before shooting . My son has it now , still shooting great . Hope this helps , good luck , I read what the other guys had to say , I just added mine . One bent part can cause a real problem .

#10 ·
Dirty barrel

One other thing try a different magazine , the shells may be pointing up to much causing the bolt to be dragging on the next round under spring pressure, a couple drops of break free in the magazine spring tube at the front of magazine will make the magazine a lot smoother. I'm done Good Luck

#13 · (Edited)
Give the guy a break. He said bullets drop in and out now and he expects his problem to have been fixed. It's nice to have feedback but in this case I think we got it. Anyway, he has 5 posts, 3 of them in this thread. He might not be as tuned in to RFC ettiquette as some of us. He also hasn't been logged in since the day after his last post in this thread. As the first person to have replied to him and to have given him the likely solution, I don't feel that he owes me anything.

#16 ·
I had the problem with mine too. I tried all the above fixes. Finally went to my gunsmith who is great. He told me he knew the problem and the solution. I was skeptical to say the least.
He took the loaded chamber indicater out and put a block in. Never had the problem again. It made no sense but it worked.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.