Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

whats your favorite shotgun now?

28K views 152 replies 113 participants last post by  aqbill 
#1 ·
SKB O/U 12ga improved and modified. The present, last, wife got the wedding present for me in Atsugi, Japan in 1983 when she was a USN Corpsman.

See less See more
#34 ·
Probably my never-fired, once cleaned Rem. 11-87 12ga.; won it in a raffle. Mostly in to benchrest now. I did get to shoot my uncle's 12ga. Dbl-bbl in the 60's( probably made 20's-40's?). In high school we used to try both barrels at same time&see who would still be standing!!! Had to watch out for frt. trigger hitting your 2nd trigger finger!!

#36 ·
Beretta onyx o/u in 20 gage.
Browning sxs in 20 gage.

Although I do love my Benelli Montefeltro Silver in 12 gage.

Wouldn't mind a Franchi Fenice in 20 gage but my gun buying days are over. I have too many as it is. Been jonesing for an Omega Planet Ocean so I'm saving for that. Instead of having it locked in the safe most of the time , I can wear it all the time.

#42 ·
I started with a plain Jane 870 that is still a favorite for use in foul weather and for hunting. But I shoot trap and sporting clays now, mostly because my son through 4H got hooked on it. He shoots a Lanber O/U and I've really enjoyed my CZ 712T. I shoot only 400-500 rounds of ammo a year through it, and though it's not a Beretta or Browing, it has been reliable and more than accurate enough to shatter the birds. :)

#44 ·
Shotguns are the most "personal" of all guns, IME. Either I connect with them, or I don't. Several have come and gone but I have two that I've had for many years, they fit me like they were made for me, and I've worked up custom loads for a variety of applications to maximize effectiveness in various shooting scenarios.

Remington 3200 26" w/ Modified and IC chokes
Savage Fox Model B 20 gauge, 26" w/ Modified and IC chokes (not a high-end gun but one of most satisfying I've ever owned)

A few years ago I picked up a Browning Auto 5, cut the barrel back to 18.25", replaced the lengthy factory recoil pad with a shorter one, had the chamber polished, forcing cone lengthened, and Sporting Clays screw-in chokes installed. Shortening the barrel transformed the gun handling wise, and the Auto 5 quality is evident every time you handle it. It has become a favorite lately because it's versatile and just fun to shoot.

#45 ·
Mine is my passed down by my Grandfather 1926 Winchester model 12, 24" barrel with polychoke modified after he returned from the Pacific in WW2, 12 gauge nickle steel barrel without a doubt. It makes my beloved early 870 Wingmaster feel cheap! From birds to deer to home defense, all areas are covered with 8 pounds of steel. Gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling

#46 ·
Mine is my passed down by my Grandfather 1926 Winchester model 12, 24" barrel with polychoke modified after he returned from the Pacific in WW2, 12 gauge nickle steel barrel without a doubt. It makes my beloved early 870 Wingmaster feel cheap! From birds to deer to home defense, all areas are covered with 8 pounds of steel. Gives you that warm and fuzzy feeling :bthumb:

#51 ·
Al
we deployed from K-3 Korea to Atsugi in 1955. Had to build much of our area. Was on the East Side. Remember my engraved M94? That was bought on the Navy Side px then got it engraved near Zama.
Wow, from 1955 to 1983 and all the changes. Wooow. Have done a google earth and could hardly recognize it.
Yamato, Sagami otsuka, Yokohama, Zama .... big smiles
Rocky

#53 ·
I knocked off a few of the planted rainbows at Zama in my free time. Caught Shimagatzu fishing 800' down in the ocean for something to do while on the economy while the wife did her thing as a crow corpsman at Atsugi. Did 28 day on Maui for our honeymoon and scratched a marlin off the bucket list.:) Made some GI and JN friends there too. :thumb: Quite a 9 mo visit.:harry:

#52 ·
Right now my favorite shotgun is my only 12 ga.
A Rock Island Armory M5 pump with nickel finish.

This is my very first shotgun.
I have come to realize I enjoy shooting a 12 ga. pump.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUxqkeNTKhs

I plan on adding another 12 ga. For the price it's hard to say No.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.