Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2017, 08:54 AM
cmhbuckmark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Couldn't get my 10/22 takedown zeroed, sold it

I had a new 10/22 takedown and after trying 4 different scopes and red dots, I could not get this thing to hold zero.

I'm sure it's a fine, accurate rifle, but either the connection of the 2-piece barrel, or the screw-on Weaver rail were shaky and minutes after zeroing, it would be off again. (Yes, I tried Loctite and I adjusted the connection ring correctly.

I sold it and bought a Ruger American bolt action and have had no issues.
Old 02-20-2017, 08:59 AM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmhbuckmark View Post
I had a new 10/22 takedown and after trying 4 different scopes and red dots, I could not get this thing to hold zero.

I'm sure it's a fine, accurate rifle, but either the connection of the 2-piece barrel, or the screw-on Weaver rail were shaky and minutes after zeroing, it would be off again. (Yes, I tried Loctite and I adjusted the connection ring correctly.

shoulda' tried one of the barrel mounted scope bases that are available before dumping it
Old 02-20-2017, 09:05 AM
LukeSkywarner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How many barrel mounted scope bases are there? The only one I know of that isn't attached to an expensive barrel is the one from Magpul that fits their Backpacker Takedown stock.

Old 02-20-2017, 09:42 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LukeSkywarner View Post
How many barrel mounted scope bases are there? The only one I know of that isn't attached to an expensive barrel is the one from Magpul that fits their Backpacker Takedown stock.
just a quick google search found this\
http://www.amegamounts.com/product_p...down_10-22.php

and you could always have a gunsmith drill and tap the barrel for the Volquartsen cantilever mount
https://www.volquartsen.com/products...or-ruger-10-22
Old 02-20-2017, 11:00 AM
SMLBound

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Did you try adjusting the torque of takedown screw?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-22-2017, 04:42 PM
cmhbuckmark

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, I torqued the hex bolt according to spec. Not wiling to pay for gunsmithing. Millions of happy owners of this model, so I just assume a lemon.

Turns out that I prefer the American bolt action, so no big deal.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:29 PM
SMLBound

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Yes, I torqued the hex bolt according to spec. Not wiling to pay for gunsmithing. Millions of happy owners of this model, so I just assume a lemon.

Turns out that I prefer the American bolt action, so no big deal.

Can't go wrong with that! Nice gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-25-2017, 06:46 PM
Harpoon1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Yes, I torqued the hex bolt according to spec. Not wiling to pay for gunsmithing. Millions of happy owners of this model, so I just assume a lemon................
Well, I'm going through the same thing as well. I've had mine a little more than a month and have put several thousand (atleast) rounds through it.

I swapped out the stock for Hogue Overmolded before even shooting it and put a Primary Arms 6X ACSS scope on it. I thought maybe the scope was the problem, so I swappped that out with another I had laying around but the moving zero still persisted.

And I mean, not from day to day but, from magazine to magazine, back to back, of the same ammo.

Turns out my problem, or at least most of it, was that I was bumbling along shooting the gun like a regular one piece stock with a floated barrel. And, of course it's not! And it is hyper sensitive to any pressure forward of the take down joint. Even resting any portion of the forened on a sand bag will change the point of impact, sometimes drastically. No surprise really when you think about it, and its really no different than resting the barrel of a regular rifle on the bag. Of course, who does that?

So, once I figured that out and changed how I held or rested the gun, things improved. Its still doesn't have what I would call a rock solid zero but, its much better nonetheless.

The upside is, the gun thrives on cheap ammo and is really pretty accurate and groups well for what it is, just cant use a bipod with it!
Old 02-25-2017, 07:43 PM
SMLBound

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm curious because I've heard this occasionally yet mine is a tack driver and wonder if it's just luck of the draw. Mines scoped and with the same scope you have and I shoot it with bipods. Have you torqued the takedown screw back to 30 ftlbs after the Hogue stock was put on, or tried other torque settings? My accuracy can change with even small tweaks to that torque setting some guns like 30 and some like 25. And have you followed Ruger's recommendations for setting the TD adjustment knob?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Old 02-25-2017, 09:08 PM
Harpoon1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yep, followed Rugers recommendations on the TD knob. However, I have experimented some with trying to get it tighter. Nothing definitve there yet.

I fooled with the torgue settings little but not enough to be sure of anything. I plan to experiment some more with it though.

Again, mine really does group pretty well, at least I think it does, the zero just moves around a couple of inches. Or it did. Most of the time I can get 7-8 out of 10 shot groups touching at 50 yds, with SV Aguila. And HV aguila shoots about as well. Fed Automatch is not much worse either. Ive tried about everything on the low end along with some Wolf target, SK standard, Eley target (I thinkt was target). None of which grouped as well. Go figure. But Im not complaining either.

When you use a bipod are you in the prone or off a bench? Are you laying the full weight of your head on the stock or barely touching it?
Old 02-26-2017, 02:46 AM
SMLBound

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That really doesn't sound too bad in my book.

I shoot bench entirely. The b-pods are a really cheap set I got from Dicks that function but are functional only (barely). only a fair amount of stability til I can get new better ones. I guess you'd say I do have my cheek firmly on the stock, helps me getting the same sight picture each time.

Hope you get it dialed in. I purchased one of those torquing screwdrivers for the setting of the TD screw and it really helped. Good luck.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 03-05-2017, 06:21 PM
nipprdog

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

Why didn't you contact Ruger for a help, or a replacement, before dumping it on someone else?
Old 03-20-2017, 06:40 PM
nipprdog

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by nipprdog View Post
Why didn't you contact Ruger for a help, or a replacement, before dumping it on someone else?
Old 03-20-2017, 08:23 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpoon1 View Post
Yep, followed Rugers recommendations on the TD knob. However, I have experimented some with trying to get it tighter. Nothing definitve there yet.

I fooled with the torgue settings little but not enough to be sure of anything. I plan to experiment some more with it though.

Again, mine really does group pretty well, at least I think it does, the zero just moves around a couple of inches. Or it did. Most of the time I can get 7-8 out of 10 shot groups touching at 50 yds, with SV Aguila. And HV aguila shoots about as well. Fed Automatch is not much worse either. Ive tried about everything on the low end along with some Wolf target, SK standard, Eley target (I thinkt was target). None of which grouped as well. Go figure. But Im not complaining either.

When you use a bipod are you in the prone or off a bench? Are you laying the full weight of your head on the stock or barely touching it?

I have 3 TD's that are all great shooters and very consistent. I shoot all of them of a bipod. It sounds to me like your obviously getting movement in your barrel. I had the same problem at first. Follow the instructions for the TD knob until the last step, then with the rifle together, tighten that knob as much as you can using finger pressure. I've done this with all of mine and never had to touch them again.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:46 AM
steamburn

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:

It is very common to see people selling an item, car, gun or appliance because it has a problem.
Do this sellers disclose the problem to the buyer or stick'em with it?
If the problem is not revealed, it is a gross case of lack of morals.
Put yourself in the shoes of the buyer....how would you feel if somebody sold you this beautiful Remington 1100 at what appeared to be a fair price, that fails randomly by not feeding the cartdriges? It happen to me, and I still resent it.