Why does Rem Golden's get a bad rap - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-20-2017, 06:02 PM
longislandloco
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I've never had an issue with GB's or anything else Remington, that's 700's, 1100's 1187's and 870's. Some folk's just like to get up on their soap-box and............spout! In other words just be windbags! After reading thousands of post's here and on other sites you can spot the windbags!

Last edited by longislandloco; 03-20-2017 at 06:05 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:24 PM
edspdog

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
golden b's

Shot them for years, never a fail to fire. Missed shot, not ammo, shooter error.
Nasty, that is another story.
Old 03-20-2017, 06:47 PM
bluzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by pump .22s View Post
a little piling on perhaps? - so many people have reported bad results with this ammo, that a lot of folks that read the reports take it to heart and go ahead and talk about how bad it is.....though they may never have actually tried it. You know how it is......bad news travels well.......
This covers so much of what passes for "fact" regarding many products discussed on the internet.

Old 03-20-2017, 09:36 PM
Raghorn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have actually had fair accuracy from Remington golden .22s, not great but fair.
My problem is dirty.
Golden bullets, and Thunderbolts are the dirtiest ammo I know of, they quickly make a mess out of you gun.
If Remington is the only thing available, I will shoot them for plinking, knowing full well the cleaning job after only a few hundred rounds. Complete action scrub out and 8 to 10 patches, full gun wipedown.
CCI or even Federal will go a brick or more and only need a quick wipe off and one patch down the barrel.
Old 03-20-2017, 09:44 PM
Ledslnger

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
The last 7 bulk packs I shot of Remmy ammo sucked badly. Very easily over 25% FTF in various firearms. CZs, Ruger, Mossy, Browning, Savage Annie, old Remmy, etc. etc. It was not the firearms, had no issues with any other ammo. Contacted Remmy multiple times to complain, yes checked my Spam folder. They didn't care enough to respond AT ALL. Lost all respect and all my business. I gave them lot numbers and location purchased and they didn't give a darn. So, yes I have shot them and not going off what other people say. I haven't shot any for 2 years except some 30 year old stuff my Dad had. That stuff worked well. Don't plan to waste my $$$ and try Remmy again to see if the MAYBE improved. I will go with stuff that worked all the time through the ammo drought and reward them keeping up with Quality Control.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:01 PM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a couple of guns that actually shoot GB OK for bulk ammo, Thunderbolts I won't even buy. No matter how cheap if you spend more time kicking out duds and picking them up they are something better left in the store. The thing about both of these I don't understand is why they are staying so expensive. I've mentioned this before, I see CCI SV and Aguila SV which both shoot fairly well in all my guns at around $35-37 a brick. A 525 pack of GB will be over $40 yet and Thunderbolts not far behind, can't quite wrap my head around that.
Old 03-20-2017, 10:06 PM
Mike3838
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
About a year ago I bought six 100 count boxes of Remington Golden Bullets that I happened to run across at my local WalMart. Not sure why, but sure it won't happen again. Only one of the 600 failed to fire. So really, that's not bad at all. But they are dirty. Very dirty. Did I mention they are very dirty? As far as I'm concerned, Remington's Thunder Bolts have ruined me for anything Remington. I don't even buy their centerfire ammo any longer because of the Thunder Bolts.
Old 03-21-2017, 05:36 AM
Mr GAP
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Why does poop stink?
I was going to explain your question, in great detail, but I`ll write this instead.

I have never had any trouble with Remington Golden bullets.

So mine don`t stink.

Last edited by Mr GAP; 03-21-2017 at 09:48 PM.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:28 AM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It's always performed very well for me and much better than anything Federal or Winchester makes at the same price point. It's not quite up to the accuracy I can get from CCI SV or Remington subsonic but beats out Dynapoints.

It doesn't matter whether I like it or not. I haven't seen any Remington 22 ammo for sale in this area for years.
Old 03-21-2017, 08:51 AM
Go4guts

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I stopped using all Remington .22 ammo years ago. We shoot a lot of gophers out here and it is not uncommon to shoot more than 500 rounds a day. Accordingly, we placed a premium on buying cheap bulk ammo like the Remington golden bullets. I did not experience any meaningful level of ftf's. And, I never found the golden bullets to be more accurate than any other ammo we used.

You will read that many people talk about how dirty they shoot. I have always assumed that the "dirty" they were talking about was the gunking up of their guns from lube and powder residue. That was my experience, too. But just as important, after a day of handling the golden bullets my hands looked like I had been working on a dirty diesel engine all day long. Everything I touched got the greasy gunk on it. Have not had that experience with any other bulk ammo.

Overall the golden bullets had nothing on the American Eagle HP's or the Federal bulk pack HP's. I have no Remington .22 ammo and I doubt I ever will.
Old 03-21-2017, 02:37 PM
Florida Guy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
A few years ago, gb had problems with bad primers causing ftf.
They obviously did some upgrading, as boxes I've bought since then shoot fine.
As a matter of fact, I just ordered a case of 6,300 gb.
I have that much confidence in them, and they are priced right.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:24 PM
brautestad

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
i have used Remington golden for over 40 years, not bulk but the ordinary. and they mostly shoot 12-20 mm 5 shot group at 50 meters with my weihrauch and my hb anschutz very seldom misfiering. the lot i have tried in my marlin 60 did not shot so good but this gun shot quite well with rws semi auto and sk pistol special. i had a Remington 541 s and a heckler and koch 270 both of them also shot good groups with the Remington golden bullet.
Old 03-22-2017, 07:56 AM
prairieviper
US Marines Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm not a Remington hater and have always liked the Golden Bullet. The Golden Bullet is accurate in most of my .22's, as is Thunderbolts. The only thing about them is being dirtier than a lot of other ammo. I have some 500 round bulk packs of Thunderbolts that I got for Christmas and so far, it's been good ammo, except for the extremely dirty thing. Neither the Golden Bullet nor Thunderbolts deposit lead on the top strap and around the forcing cone of my 617 as does some ammo.
Old 03-22-2017, 08:11 AM
gator378

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayor View Post
Their is so much Remington Golden 525 packs and Golden 1400 round tubs in my area hard to resist and prices are good too ...........

They work well in my 22/45, its was windy yesterday so jury still out on the rifle.

What am I missing? Why do Golden's have such a bad rap?

I have yet to find a post that someone had good range report with Golden's
I been using them from the mid fifties and never had a problem. I use the 36 grain HP. Killed a lot of rats. They hit the target for me.
Old 03-22-2017, 10:19 AM
Ferox34

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
As I have posted before....

...my Nylon 66s love the goldens, and they shoot OK in other guns too. An occasional FTF, but it is cheap bulk ammo.

Ferox34