Bench Rest Noobie met a new friend at the range today: Stnwave - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-20-2017, 01:16 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Skype™ to NetDoc
Bench Rest Noobie met a new friend at the range today: Stnwave

Quick bio: I've been a diver since 1969 and decided to start a new hobby this past Thanksgiving. Started with a 1911, added a AR10, then this past Feb built a 10/22 with an 80% receiver from Tactical Inc. and last week added a Mark IV Hunter. So far I've had a lot of fun.

Being new to shooting, it's not hard for me to admit that I know less than nothing. I listen to everyone, ask copious amounts of questions and watch and watch. Coming from a sport where what you don't know can (and will) kill you, it's refreshing to find a sport that is not so dangerous. I mean that sincerely. I've buried a lot of friends and acquaintances over the years that thought the rules didn't apply to them... or simply didn't know or understand the rules at all. I have taken two classes so far, but I've learned far, far more from the people at the Florida Keys Shooting Club. Oh, there are a couple with a God complex... I just avoid them and stick to the rest.

Last week I bought Rock BR bench rest. It looks great, and today I assembled it. I found out pretty quickly, it didn't have a back rest. That's OK, I have plenty of soft weights (for Scuba Diving) and built a nice mound. The assembly was pretty easy and quick, and I was up and running in a few minutes. Or was I? OK, I can see how this could be modified to make shooting easier. My groups tightened right up. Instead of an inch. I wasn't happy about the process. I need to think this through and so I started to pack the van.

As I packed, Stnwave arrived on the scene. Yay, Stan! The first thing I saw Stan unload was his modified Rock BR bench rest. Even better, Stan had almost the same (same???) stock that I was running. I really liked how he had his bench set up.

So, what do you have? How have you modified it? What suggestions do you have for me?

BTW, Stan is probably one of the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. Super friendly and incredibly helpful. He approaches this as an engineer would because he is one. I really enjoyed our discussion on the range today, Stnwave. Thanks!

Last edited by NetDoc; 03-20-2017 at 01:44 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 02:15 PM
cdiver2

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
NetDoc from Scubaboard?
Old 03-20-2017, 03:00 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdiver2 View Post
NetDoc from Scubaboard?
It's me! I take it that you're on SB. What's your username?

Old 03-20-2017, 05:51 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've been caught in a quandary between making the adjustment bolts or finding them pre-made. I went to two hardware stores and a marine supply store. I found nothing, nada and squat, in precisely that order. I couldn't really see how Stan had done it, and I certainly would not ask him to undo so I could look. I was sourcing out some stainless steel flathead screws when I came upon TECO 31322L. $15/pair delivered and I'll have them Thursday. If you look at the pics, Stan used starboard for the floor and the clamp. The best part about that is that it won't mar the finish. The draw back, as I see it, is that it's a slippery material with no cushion. I'm thinking along the lines of a neoprene or rubber liner of some sort. I think I have some rubber pad left over from my truck, so I'll see how much I have. There's lots of starboard here on the island... it's used a lot for boat mods and building.

In our discussion, Stan mentioned he installed some ball bearing thrust washers (though they could be needle bearing) to make it smoother and has that written down somewhere. Hopefully he'll respond and let us know what those are.

TECO 3122L
Old 03-23-2017, 07:07 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, I was hoping for a bit more input than this. Ah well. The adjustment screws should be in today so I'll just plod along.
Old Yesterday, 09:32 AM
Travelor
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Send a message via Yahoo to Travelor
I'm bit confused. Are the teco bolts to add adjustment height to your front rest or what?

You should consider a Protektor rear bag for your next addition.

I'll try to help as soon as I know what you are asking.
Old Yesterday, 09:35 PM
randymac

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
i'm confused also.
Old Yesterday, 10:42 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't think the pictures came through. I ran into this in an earlier thread. Let me repost them from photobucket.

My current set up:

Stnwave's set up:

See how Stan modified his bench rest? We have the same rest except for his modifications.