For CPC: A few questions about my 77/22 - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:36 PM
CPC
RFC Sponsor
National Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

RFC Sponsor
Middletown CT, Earth, 1st door on the right
TPC Rating: 
96% (20)

I rework used barrels, they are already broken in...
New barrels get 5 shots, cleaned, 10 shots, cleaned, 50 shots, cleaned...
Old 03-19-2017, 10:05 AM
4eyes

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you work on the threaded barrels?
Old 03-19-2017, 12:32 PM
Bigfeet

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I would assume he does, the hornets are threaded.

Old 03-19-2017, 06:32 PM
CPC
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
96% (20)
Yes, I work on all the newer Ruger 77/threaded together rifles...
Old 03-25-2017, 09:58 PM
OldWolf

Near the Southern Part of Heaven, North Carolina
TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
My 77/22 has only been away for a little more than a week, but that doesnít prevent me from planning all the fun I will have with it.

When I get my action back from Randy, I will shoot groups with the same standard (and sub) velocity ammo that I show above for a comparison. That would be PMC Moderators, CCI SV and Wolf Match Target.

Plus, I also have four high velocity loads that I will group. They are PMC Sidewinders, CCI MiniMag, Federal 745, and Federal Automatch.

Since the barrel will now be aligned to the action, the droop will be eliminated (I hope) and the shim can be removed from my rear scope ring.
I have read elsewhere that Randy recommends up to 700 rounds, I think, be fired from the barrel before you can assume it has stabilized in terms of precision and accuracy. I hope I donít have to wait that long. I think I will use PMC Moderators (mostly) for this part of the process since that is what I have the most of. Or, maybe, one of the Federal loadings since they were the lowest cost.

I am not sure if the barrel channel will need sanding to achieve a free floating barrel. What do you guys think about shimming the action up a bit for free floating, or is sanding the only way to go? At some point, I may want to bed the action and install pillars. But at first, I will just use the CPC modified action and factory stock and see how it goes.

Old 03-26-2017, 01:08 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
"I am not sure if the barrel channel will need sanding to achieve a free floating barrel. What do you guys think about shimming the action up a bit for free floating, or is sanding the only way to go? At some point, I may want to bed the action and install pillars. But at first, I will just use the CPC modified action and factory stock and see how it goes."

I believe over the years I over torqued the screws, causing the action to sink in the wood a little, and creep forward leaving a small but visible gap at the tang.
I used strips pf paper to jack up the action back where the wood is flush around the tang. Then fit aluminum pillars at the screw locations, and glued those in.
I bedded the action using the no-stress method, simply because I discovered how flexible the action was after doing other work on it and having it bind when re-installed. That method uses a stretch material wrap to hold the action down while the expoxy cures, instead of using the screws for pressure.
Anyway, it took just a little sanding in the barrel channel to float the barrel. After shooting the rifle, I needed to add pressure at the forearm tip to get the also very flexible barrel to group well. There I used tape, then came up with using a hardwood plug in a milled hole, that I could put shims under to adjust the barrel pressure at the tip of the forearm.
Old 03-26-2017, 08:33 AM
AveragEd
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have a rasp that is narrow enough for barrel channels, rounded on one side and flat on the other. I use it to remove Remington's pressure tabs from their wood stocks - it only takes a few passes with the round side of the rasp in place of many, many times more work with sandpaper. I then smooth the channel with sandpaper and seal the area with a wood finish.

I bought that rasp at either Lowe's or Home Depot.

Ed
Old 03-30-2017, 11:40 PM
CPC
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
96% (20)
Oh, as I started the 2 part bolt tightening on Old Wolfs bolt I thought about his question about lapping the lugs - as I recut his lugs as a automatic procedure!!!!!!
Yes, Ruger 77/'s have a strange two piece bolt turning in center... I separate pieces and recut the forward internal forward lugs square to the main body... You can not see anything once reassembled... This is to straighten bolt assembly and give a better squarer surface area where the bolt rotates.... (Old Wolfs lugs were a little off like most)....
These are not the lugs that you see... Every time I have seen a rifle that someone attempted bolt lapping - seen lugs - it was a mess - butcher mess...
Old 03-31-2017, 05:33 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
I am having trouble visualizing this process...but I haven't had my coffee just yet...I am such a visual learner.
Do you have any pictures that show what you are describing?

Last edited by OldWolf; 03-31-2017 at 08:46 AM.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:09 AM
CPC
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
96% (20)
No pics... The lugs on the front piece is a continuation of the rear lugs and they keep the front piece from turning... Re-cut surface is the thrust bearing surface....
Old 04-04-2017, 08:43 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Trigger

Randy, what release weight are you typically able to achieve with the 77/22 trigger?

Are we looking at 1.5-2.0 pound range? Mine is mostly a range gun and that would be a nice weight range for me. With the Volquartsen sear and spring that was installed on it I measured a trigger pull of about 1.5 pounds, although it did have some creep to it.

Thanks...

Last edited by OldWolf; 04-06-2017 at 04:13 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:27 AM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
Nevermind, I read your website.

Quote:
RUGER 77/22 TRIGGER JOB: Rimfire or Hornet. Approximately 2.5 pound trigger pull with overtravel stop. (Ruger un-modified trigger parts only). With any Combo add $39.

Last edited by OldWolf; 04-06-2017 at 04:04 PM.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:01 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hey OldWolf,
I would bet you could lower the pull to where you want it with a change of trigger springs.
2 1/2 lbs is often called a minimum light trigger pull, I know a local smith that wont go lighter because of liability.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:15 PM
OldWolf

TPC Rating: 
100% (21)
I'll measure the trigger pull when I get the rifle back.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Old 04-07-2017, 02:27 PM
CPC
RFC Sponsor

RFC Sponsor
TPC Rating: 
96% (20)
Yes, the trigger pull I do is appox 2.5 lbs... I don't think you would be happy if I moved your 1.5 lb pull up to 2.5 so I left it alone, no trigger job... It did need a trigger overtravel stop so I put that in to shorten the trigger pull... Rifle was sent today, expect Monday, thanks....