My 77/22 has only been away for a little more than a week, but that doesnít prevent me from planning all the fun I will have with it.
When I get my action back from Randy, I will shoot groups with the same standard (and sub) velocity ammo that I show above for a comparison. That would be PMC Moderators, CCI SV and Wolf Match Target.
Plus, I also have four high velocity loads that I will group. They are PMC Sidewinders, CCI MiniMag, Federal 745, and Federal Automatch.
Since the barrel will now be aligned to the action, the droop will be eliminated (I hope) and the shim can be removed from my rear scope ring.
I have read elsewhere that Randy recommends up to 700 rounds, I think, be fired from the barrel before you can assume it has stabilized in terms of precision and accuracy. I hope I donít have to wait that long. I think I will use PMC Moderators (mostly) for this part of the process since that is what I have the most of. Or, maybe, one of the Federal loadings since they were the lowest cost.
I am not sure if the barrel channel will need sanding to achieve a free floating barrel. What do you guys think about shimming the action up a bit for free floating, or is sanding the only way to go? At some point, I may want to bed the action and install pillars. But at first, I will just use the CPC modified action and factory stock and see how it goes.
"I am not sure if the barrel channel will need sanding to achieve a free floating barrel. What do you guys think about shimming the action up a bit for free floating, or is sanding the only way to go? At some point, I may want to bed the action and install pillars. But at first, I will just use the CPC modified action and factory stock and see how it goes."
I believe over the years I over torqued the screws, causing the action to sink in the wood a little, and creep forward leaving a small but visible gap at the tang.
I used strips pf paper to jack up the action back where the wood is flush around the tang. Then fit aluminum pillars at the screw locations, and glued those in.
I bedded the action using the no-stress method, simply because I discovered how flexible the action was after doing other work on it and having it bind when re-installed. That method uses a stretch material wrap to hold the action down while the expoxy cures, instead of using the screws for pressure.
Anyway, it took just a little sanding in the barrel channel to float the barrel. After shooting the rifle, I needed to add pressure at the forearm tip to get the also very flexible barrel to group well. There I used tape, then came up with using a hardwood plug in a milled hole, that I could put shims under to adjust the barrel pressure at the tip of the forearm.
I have a rasp that is narrow enough for barrel channels, rounded on one side and flat on the other. I use it to remove Remington's pressure tabs from their wood stocks - it only takes a few passes with the round side of the rasp in place of many, many times more work with sandpaper. I then smooth the channel with sandpaper and seal the area with a wood finish.
I bought that rasp at either Lowe's or Home Depot.