Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 03-19-2017, 08:39 AM
Shrps74
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Lyman 17A Front Sight on a Henry Frontier?

I'm new here...have a 24" Frontier and would like to put a Lyman 17A on the front...I shoot Cowboy lever gun Silh....normally use a Marlin 39...but like the Frontier as well...Has anyone put the lyman on the oct. bbl....and how hard is it to get the original sight out of the barrel? Thanks. PS: I've followed this site for quite a while...but just joined today... Regards, Shrps74
Old 03-19-2017, 10:15 AM
TrblShtr
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Welcome to RFC!

Using a brass punch, drift the factory front sight out from left to right (as you look down the barrel). The new sight drifts in from right to left but you may need to fit the sight's base to the dovetail on the barrel. I do this with a small triangle file that has had one side ground smooth so it doesn't remove material from where you don't want it removed. Skinner Sights sells a file like this but you can easily make one yourself. Might even be able to put some blue tape on one side of the file. Don't "adjust" the dovetail cut on the barrel, only work on the sight base and go slow.

I chose the lowest Lyman globe, the 17AHB at .4", to go with my Marbles tang sight. If you use a receiver mounted sight like a Williams you may need a taller globe. I think the best thing I did was ordering a Varmint Express stock from Henry. I get a perfect sight picture every time with the comfortable, consistent cheek weld this stock provides.

Old 03-19-2017, 12:43 PM
Shrps74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks TrblShtr..I've done this before with Sharps 1874 rifles and a High Wall or two, but didn't know how "difficult" moving the factory sight might be...also, yes, I have a Williams Target receiver sight on it now...so I'm guessing that I may need a slightly higher Lyman Front... thanks again! Shrps74

Old 03-19-2017, 05:45 PM
TomJ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Shrps74 - I too own a 24" barrel Henry and use it for CLA silhouette. I am a novice at even minor gunsmithing projects and found the removal of the rear and front sights very easy. I have a a Williams receiver sight on the rear and a Lyman 17AMI Target Front Sight (.494" high). I've found the rifle to be reliable and very accurate, i.e., if I miss the animal, it's me not the rifle. Good Luck, Tom
Old 03-23-2017, 04:13 PM
Shrps74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
TomJ,,,got the AMI (.494) yesterday...put it on the Frontier today...went to the range..(I also have a set of Lee Shaver's inserts). Feels good! I didn't mention it before..I shoot Master class in both the Pistol Cart. and RimFire...BUT, being now 67, I haven't shot many Master Class scores lately..(can I get an AMEN out there?) anyhow..I believe this front sight will help significantly...I got the factor bead front out relatively easily.. had to file the base of the 17a down somewhat to get it set correctly..all seems to be good... later folks. Shrps74