M&P 22c Rear Sight Issues - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-20-2017, 10:20 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
M&P 22c Rear Sight Issues

Bought my M&P 22c less than a month ago and finally got it out to shoot yesterday for the first time.

The rear sight seems to have a spring action that pushes the sight up until it meets the screw that adjusts elevation.

I let a guy shoot it yesterday and he started messing with the sight and said that when he was shooting it, the screw was coming loose and was peering into his sight picture (unlikely but that's what he said).

Now the spring action isn't working, and the sight freely moves up and down.

What are my options? Is this a common problem?
Old 02-20-2017, 11:28 AM
kenoh2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also have concerns with the rear sight on my M&P 22c. There is very little tension on the sight when adjusted up to hit POA. I sorted through my collection of springs to find a stiffer one but no luck so far.
Old 02-28-2017, 02:05 PM
stringbender

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the full size version which I bought back before they came out with the compact and the sights were just plain junk. I thought they would have fixed that issue by now. I put a set of XS sights on mine with the small front dot. Great sights although the small dot is still too big for my tastes for target shooting but perfect for a race pistol. Also did the Nick Taylor magazine mod so it now holds 15+1.

Old 02-28-2017, 05:34 PM
rep1954

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stringbender View Post
I put a set of XS sights on mine with the small front dot. Great sights although the small dot is still too big for my tastes for target shooting but perfect for a race pistol.

What model sights did you use. I e-mailed XS Sights if they were going to come out with a set for the M&P 22 Compact and they returned with basically a very short no?
Old 03-04-2017, 08:16 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rep1954 View Post
What model sights did you use. I e-mailed XS Sights if they were going to come out with a set for the M&P 22 Compact and they returned with basically a very short no?
Williams Sights makes a click adjustable high visible model fire sight ( 71031 ).
I have had no issues with the factory dot sights other than my old eyes.

Last edited by Badlandsboy; 03-04-2017 at 08:28 AM.
Old 03-11-2017, 12:46 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One of the features that I bought my M&P22c was that it had large white 3 dot sights on it. Being in my 60's my eye's don't have the range of focus that they once had and I have a hard time making out the 2 sights and target. It seems like glasses only correct one of the issues either near or far. I just put on a set of these Williams Fire Sights 71031 on my pistol. OMG it has made pistol plinking fun again. For me and my tired old eyes , I haven't experienced this for years. They have a small green fiber optic dot in the front sight and two red in the rear adjustable sight . Between the small bright dots and contrasting colors they helped me immensely. No need for glasses other than for eye protection needed anymore. They are small precise & bright. I have seen nothing that compares to them. I still can't hardly believe how much they help improved my shooting picture.
Old 04-02-2017, 11:27 AM
flwing

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also had an issue with the MP22 Compact rear sight - the first time I shot it I didn't need to do any adjustment at 10-15 yards - right on target, so I left it alone. After moving back to 20-25 yards and running thru about 100 rounds it suddenly was off-target. A check of the rear sight showed the adjustment screw was gone (so was the little spring) and the sight was swinging freely on it's front pivot point. Not what I would have expected from a new gun.

"OK - time to call S & W and order another screw and spring".
But wait...it wasn't as easy as that - S & W was very nice and willing to have me send it back to them for repair, but wouldn't sell me the screw & spring so I could fix it myself (or give it to me under warranty).
Sorry, Smith & Wesson...that's the wrong answer. I'm not going to send it back and wait 6 weeks for you to do a 3-minute repair..

So, I used some shoe goop and affixed a small black plastic spacer under the sight (it took some trial-and-error, but I finally found the right thickness), then glued the sight down into place. Right on target at 15 yards!

The nice thing is that shoe goop remains slightly flexible and can be removed if needed. Would have been nicer if the repair was done with a screw and spring? Sure...but there is no reason S & W couldn't have sold or sent me the parts for free without requiring warranty service and the wasted time it would cause. BTW: I LOVE the MP22 Compact!

Last edited by flwing; 04-02-2017 at 11:36 AM.
Old 04-02-2017, 03:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Funny to see I'm not alone with this problem.
First of all,I experienced the same problem with the screw being loose as all of you have.
And while adjusting the elevation,it too is almost maxed out....
While trying to eliminate the "loose screw" issue,*out popped* the little spring.
Found my tho....
I tried the ol' clear nail polish trick on the threads,..but to no avail....even blue LocTite which worked,...but CLP gun cleaner attacked that......!
I also put a dot of white nail polish to "index" the head of the screw so as to tell if it's moving or not while under use. It will move sometimes but just a titch.

Under the screw,I'll call the "turn table",...it looks as tho there is some sort of "resistance bump silvery in color".This should ride against the underside of the adjustment screw to prevent any movement. Right now it looks and feels flush to the turntable. Problem is I don't have anything small enough to tap under to make it more "pronounced" higher, and to add resistance to the bottom or backside of the elevation sight screw.........
Futhermore.....I installed a TaylorTacticle red fiber optic *front*sight to help my eyes.
This lil' popper is dead nuts up to about 8yrds then the groupings expand....prolly the shooter..."Me"...

Last edited by VGEHTS; 04-03-2017 at 09:31 PM.
Old 04-04-2017, 08:21 AM
flwing

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Same here - I can keep a group within about 3 inches out to 10 yards, but the short sight picture makes aiming a lot more difficult when I move back further.
Old 04-20-2017, 03:26 PM
kenoh2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I could't find a heavier spring in my stash that would fit. I ended up using a small rubber o-ring with an ID just big enough to circle the spring and screw. Nice and snug now. The o-ring may need to be replaced at some point if it takes a set but it was easy and free.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:50 PM
rep1954

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoh2 View Post
I could't find a heavier spring in my stash that would fit. I ended up using a small rubber o-ring with an ID just big enough to circle the spring and screw. Nice and snug now. The o-ring may need to be replaced at some point if it takes a set but it was easy and free.
OMG, I can't believe it another S&W that has sprung a leak and needs a o'ring to fix it. As far as I'm concerned o'rings only belong on air guns.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:14 PM
kenoh2

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I don't see this as an issue with the sight but the gun shooting so low that the sight needs to be near max elevation to hit POA with a six o'clock hold. If a person is OK with the front sight covering the target, there should be no problem.

All of my recently purchased fixed-sight centerfire handguns (Sig, CZ, S&W, Canik) shoot the same way... stupid low. I'm not new to this game and have had several others shoot them with the same result. Maybe I'm behind the times and this is the new standard for factory sights. If it is, I don't like it.
Old 04-20-2017, 09:11 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenoh2 View Post
I don't see this as an issue with the sight but the gun shooting so low that the sight needs to be near max elevation to hit POA with a six o'clock hold. If a person is OK with the front sight covering the target, there should be no problem.

All of my recently purchased fixed-sight centerfire handguns (Sig, CZ, S&W, Canik) shoot the same way... stupid low. I'm not new to this game and have had several others shoot them with the same result. Maybe I'm behind the times and this is the new standard for factory sights. If it is, I don't like it.
Old 04-22-2017, 08:25 PM
lscocoa

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just sent mine in to S&W because of it's inaccuracies. 3" at 7 yds and couldn't keep all the Rds on a 11-7" sheet of paper . I tried 8 different brands of ammo from a rest and had 2 bullseye shooters do the same . The sight were fine and the gun ran great but that can't be the way a adjustable sighted smith should shoot and they agreed. So does anyone get decent groups with this gun ?
Old 04-23-2017, 09:48 AM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lscocoa View Post
I just sent mine in to S&W because of it's inaccuracies. 3" at 7 yds and couldn't keep all the Rds on a 11-7" sheet of paper . I tried 8 different brands of ammo from a rest and had 2 bullseye shooters do the same . The sight were fine and the gun ran great but that can't be the way a adjustable sighted smith should shoot and they agreed. So does anyone get decent groups with this gun ?
Yes,mine is a Dandy little Shooter!
Just not working properly right now.
Currently getting looked at by S&W for other problems.

Of course the little holes are the .22 Compact and the big ones from a 9mm.

Last edited by VGEHTS; 04-23-2017 at 10:02 AM.