Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Bought a Walther Target Rifle...that's all I know

6K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Teddydog 
#1 · (Edited)
Bought a Walther Target Rifle...RANGE SESSION ADDED

So I was walking down the street and something FORCED me into the gun shop. So I browsed around and saw this on the wall and something FORCED me to buy it.

Other than that I wanted it, I don't know much about it. It is a Walther single shot .22 target rifle with a target peep sight. Made in 1962 based on the markings if I'm reading them right. The butt has a lot of drop and what I've seen called a "fish belly" shape with a slight cheek rest. Bore looks great. The barrel is tapered and not what I would call heavy. I don't see a model number on it or the instruction sheet.

Only markings I have found above the stock are:
**"Walther" above the chamber
**Serial number on the left side below that (50,xxx) and <eagle proof>
**barrel marked Kal. .22 l.f.B. <eagle proof> 62 <antler>

That's it unless there is something else hiding under the rear sight base. The rifle is grooved on top and the rear sight is clamped onto the groove. The front globe site came with 3 additional inserts (shown with the accessories pouch).

The plastic butt plate does have a chunk missing--a rounded sliver at the heel about .5 inches on its flat edge. There are some misc dings and scratches in the stock and blue finish, but nothing major and no noted rust.

The trigger is adjustable from 5 oz to 3 lbs according to the sheet (a half-size sheet front and back). Currently is it set to VERY light.

Any additional information that can be provided would be AWESOME! Thanks!

More pics:

Rob

See less See more
#2 ·
That looks like a KKJ-T, a single shot rifle with a single set trigger, that is, as you say, adjustable. It is about 3 pounds when the plunger is pushed in. When the plunger is rotated and pops out, the trigger is down to ounces. The screw in the plunger is for fine adjustment. Congratulations on a fine rifle.

#3 ·
Yes that is a beauty and very importantly.......you were able to get all the sight parts with it. They aren't making those anymore. Back in the day there was very little competition for this rifle and even today it will hold its own. Is the bore good, the crown? A dropped stock is really good for getting your eyeball down low along the top of the barrel. An American style stock on many high powered rifles is straighter and places your cheek higher because....there is usually a big scope sitting up high. Very high if it is an AR due to the straight stock......which I don't like and I have a very nice AR. Give her a cleaning and then give us a report. Since all the stuff is there....someone took very good care of it. 1917

#5 ·
Thanks for that tentative ID, Penage Guy! Now that I have something to search for I think I agree completely.

What I have been able to find is that the KKJ series of rifles are "hunting rifles". The KKJ stands for "Small Bore Hunting" in German (more or less) and the "-T" denotes "target model". So a target hunting rifle? The -T rifles have a semi-target stock--beefier out to the tip and flatter on the bottom. Also single shot with no magazine and fitted from the factory with a nice diopter target sight.

The bore looks great and the crown has no issues that I see. I hope the throat is in good shape and not cleaned to death.

Really looking forward to shooting it!

Rob

#9 ·
Got out to the range with it yesterday. Took an assortment of target and match ammo to get a bit of an idea what it can do.

I used the attached diopter sight. Combined with my eyes, this really limited me to 25 yards. I used a front rest only. Had some issues with large bore cannon going off next to me and failing light, but I'm not too displeased with the results. I think it shows promise with more practice and probably a scope.

I'll start first with my last group: TAC-22 into 0.44 inches

And here is the target I was walking groups around to see what they might do. In cases where there is a tight group and then an outlier, it is most likely ME at fault, not the ammo or the rifle.

Wolf MT: 0.98"
TAC-22: 0.86", 0.51"
Eley Target (yellow box): 1.12", 0.54", 0.83", 0.45"
Federal Ultramatch: 0.85"

I also shot some CCI SV and Geco RIFLE. The CCI was the least impressive and the Geco was pretty good--about on par with the better groups from TAC-22 and the Eley.

I also got a trigger scale and the trigger breaks at 3 1/4 lbs. I have not tried to test it on the light setting, which is surely just a couple of ounces.

Rob

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.