Hollow ponnt improvment - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-14-2017, 09:56 AM
noremf
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Best pistol defense rounds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Al the Infidel View Post
Check out the latest self defense pistol rounds and poly tipped varmint cf rifle rounds.
Best pistol defense rounds are these which have been used by special forces for almost a decade and I know that for a fact based on two reunions.

You will notice they are not hollow points, nor poly tipped etc. Good old fashioned semi wadcutters albeit not solids.

http://www.basspro.com/Federal-Premi...2031705003922/

I keep two mags loaded at all times for my model 1911 .45ACP which is kept readily at hand.

Mucho dinero but like they say "when you care enough to send the very best......"

Only problem I have had with em was I did not remember they were in the mags so it cost me a bunch to "kill" some sodipop cans.

George

Last edited by noremf; 05-14-2017 at 03:51 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:47 PM
dufferDave
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Would you happen to know--

Quote:
Slowly and carefully done with a Dremel. I never shot anything beyond 22 yds so no accuracy data to reveal.....
Did you get any data on how much bullet material was removed, and what was left of the original 36 grains?

Or did you possibly chrono the resulting cartridges to see what you got?
Old 05-19-2017, 08:29 PM
mongochicago

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Check out the latest self defense pistol rounds and poly tipped varmint cf rifle rounds.
Taken from a test on Federal ammo.

Hollowpoints expand by the expansive force of whatever is inside the opening pressing the sides outwards. The problem, for a long time, was that the hollowpoint could become clogged with material from intermediate obstacles, and the plugged hollowpoint would not expand. It took a lot of work to come up with just the right design, material and shape to consistently expand.

Read more: http://www.handgunsmag.com/ammo/revi...#ixzz4hZuLC16U

Old 05-19-2017, 09:08 PM
Al the Infidel
US Marines Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dufferDave View Post
Did you get any data on how much bullet material was removed, and what was left of the original 36 grains?

Or did you possibly chrono the resulting cartridges to see what you got?
Nope and nope. All the lead curlicues in my pic weren't from one bullet BTW.
I modified the bullets to shoot camp pests of which I can not divulge the identity. Suffice to say removing a few grains of lead probably speeded em up slightly.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:10 PM
DennB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When I was young, my brother and I messed around with altering .22 bullets in rimfire ammo. We made wadcutters, semi-wadcutters, drilled larger hollow points, and put steel shot in the hole of hollow points. I believe we used #8 and had to ream out the hollow point a bit with a mini hollow ground screwdriver.

We fired into bundled wet newspaper for penetration tests and recovery of bullets.

The hollow points with shot penetrated as much as the solid points but mushroomed nicely with the shot separated a centimeter away or so.

The semi-wadcutters were surprising accurate at 25 yards and did a good amount of damage.

The wadcutters made nice clean holes in paper targets and a good amount of damage in the newspaper bundle. I can't remember how far they penetrated. Accuracy was not the best because of the obvious flat face, but also that we did not weigh each to ensure accuracy. We actually cut them with a utility knife and then eye-balled them flat with sandpaper.

We always loaded the altered ammo directly into the chamber one at a time so no worry about functionality in that respect.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:57 PM
bmwclay
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up Hollow pointer

Years ago there was a device that did this it but never caught on. It was a die with a small crank and cutter on the end. I guess you just slipped the cartridge into the die and turned the crank to a set depth.
We looked at the ad, and the cost, then just went down to Joe's hardware and bought another 50 cent box of Remington HPs
Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
One of the pellet ammo makers for air guns makes em. I get better penetration with em. If you want better expansion try opening up the hp a bit with a nail.
Gamo makes these. They are 5.56 grains as compared to about 7.5 grains for typical lead pellets, which would create higher muzzle velocities. They are constructed of plastic with a tiny steel projectile molded into the nose. I'll take your word for the penetration, since I haven't tested that aspect, but they do more damage to a tin can and also are more accurate in my gun (as they are advertised to be.) Much more expensive than regular pellets but worth it.

Maybe CCI or Aguila or someone else could make some .22 polymer bullets with a semi-wadcutter steel insert molded into the nose. Would solve the CA lead problem.

I made my own hollow point tool from a short piece of barrel with a chambered end and a punch. Think I'm going to make another punch to make some of those semi-wadcutters.
Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM
DennB

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennB View Post
When I was young, my brother and I messed around with altering .22 bullets in rimfire ammo. We made wadcutters, semi-wadcutters, drilled larger hollow points, and put steel shot in the hole of hollow points. I believe we used #8 and had to ream out the hollow point a bit with a mini hollow ground screwdriver.

We fired into bundled wet newspaper for penetration tests and recovery of bullets.

The hollow points with shot penetrated as much as the solid points but mushroomed nicely with the shot separated a centimeter away or so.

The semi-wadcutters were surprising accurate at 25 yards and did a good amount of damage.

The wadcutters made nice clean holes in paper targets and a good amount of damage in the newspaper bundle. I can't remember how far they penetrated. Accuracy was not the best because of the obvious flat face, but also that we did not weigh each to ensure accuracy. We actually cut them with a utility knife and then eye-balled them flat with sandpaper.

We always loaded the altered ammo directly into the chamber one at a time so no worry about functionality in that respect.
I found the collection of recovered bullets from back then. Here is one of the "shot-in-hollow-point" bullets with the shot still intact. This is most likely remington.

Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM
DPSTX

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I believe that the best solution for improving impact performance is swaging in a (larger) hollow point. My rifle shoots fairly well with Fed automatch, which has no hollow point, but I wanted it to have better impact performance, so I made myself this arrangement to put a hollow point into a known accurate (in my gun), fairly inexpensive round. The round makes a pretty audible whack when it connects with a critter, even birds. There was no change in the weight or measurable change in the velocity, but the impact performance was improved significantly, and the accuracy improved as well. (The swaging tightens the fit of the bullet into the chamber. )

It took a bit of time to create the stuff, but I like to tinker, and it worked out well. There are other folks out there who produce devices to do the job, so you don't have to come up with your own like I did...

I wanted something that gave me sufficient match-type accuracy in a hollow point ammo to whack little critters out to 75-100yds, more often then not...
My rifle will shoot MOA with $20-a-box match ammo, but I didn't want to shoot this kinda stuff at critters, costs too much and no hollowpoint. This idea was a good compromise. Not quite the accuracy, but cheaper and a hollowpoint for the "whack".

DPSTX
Old Yesterday, 03:49 PM
toomanyguns

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
DPSTX, I like what you have done.

Here is my zero cost bullet reforming tool that I made from stuff that I had on hand. Probably not as good as George's. George has some really good info in his posts.

I made this tool some time ago, but haven't gotten around to testing the rounds. Looking forward to trying some. I am not necessarily looking for better accuracy, but rather more knock-down energy for dispatching certain critters at close range, 15-30 yards.

Someone else mentioned the poor expansion of Remington subsonic hollowpoints. This is my favorite ammo for one of my rifles (best accuracy), so I will use the "tool" to open up the hollowpoint some. Have had some crawl offs.

I have shot a couple of squirrels in the past with Remington subsonics that had a HUGE hole all the way through that you could actually see through. Can't figure out what happened unless the bullet hit a limb that caused it to expand before hitting the squirrel.

IMO accuracy trumps expansion, but I would like to have both.