VQ Sear? - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:23 PM
Spunk_Puppy
US Air Force NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
VQ Sear?

So I have a Mark IV and it's really nice, but the trigger... eh... could be better!! But I do not want to drop over $130 for the entire accurizing kit made by Volquartsen for what is to me just a simple plinking gun.

So I heard you can call them and just buy their upgraded sear for like $28, supposed to really help, more than any other part.

Any truth to this? I will probably go that route. I do not need God's greatest trigger, but if I can get the stock one a little better that would be ideal, with dropping that much cash on it.

Thoughts?
Old 05-18-2017, 06:03 PM
Arrowhead
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
You can get the kit from Rimfire Sports for a little less than 95 bucks and free shipping. After my Mk II sear fiasco that's the way I went and it didn't take long for it to show up either. It made a pretty good gun into a really nice one and the trigger pull was spot on at 2 1/2 pounds as advertised. I thought that might be a little light but it's not.
Old 05-18-2017, 08:05 PM
stewswanson

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The sear alone will give yu a great trigger

Just the sear is all you really need. If your handy, tap he trigger for pre and post travel screws also.
Stew

Old 05-19-2017, 07:39 AM
Indigo22

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'll second the RSC recommendation. They provide free shipping and great prices. Also the sear alone will make a vast difference.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:25 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunk_Puppy View Post
So I have a Mark IV and it's really nice, but the trigger... eh... could be better!! But I do not want to drop over $130 for the entire accurizing kit made by Volquartsen for what is to me just a simple plinking gun.

So I heard you can call them and just buy their upgraded sear for like $28, supposed to really help, more than any other part.

Any truth to this? I will probably go that route. I do not need God's greatest trigger, but if I can get the stock one a little better that would be ideal, with dropping that much cash on it.

Thoughts?
If you are going a piece at a time - The first step is to remove the magazine disconnect. You did that right? I dont know from experience, I did the whole kit at one shot. What I do know is the Mark I and II have decent enough triggers and the Mk III and IV stink. And some how, I dont know how, the IV seems the worse of the two. The difference is the magazine disconnect and how much rubbing and bumping you get from those added parts. This is a combination of experience and reading. I dont know all the mix and match combination upgrades. I suspect you would be happy to get back to Mk II trigger pulls in your IV pistol.

You dont need to drill and tap the trigger on a plinker.

An after thought here, perhaps VQ should offer a kit for the informal shooter and hunter with out the trigger parts - with disconnect bushing, a full weight hammer and sear w/spring. They are a very small operation, it would not take much asking to get a package like that.

Last edited by fourbore; 05-19-2017 at 09:32 AM. Reason: VQ without hammer
Old 05-19-2017, 09:02 PM
rws53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
If you are going a piece at a time - The first step is to remove the magazine disconnect. You did that right? I dont know from experience, I did the whole kit at one shot. What I do know is the Mark I and II have decent enough triggers and the Mk III and IV stink. And some how, I dont know how, the IV seems the worse of the two. The difference is the magazine disconnect and how much rubbing and bumping you get from those added parts. This is a combination of experience and reading. I dont know all the mix and match combination upgrades. I suspect you would be happy to get back to Mk II trigger pulls in your IV pistol.

You dont need to drill and tap the trigger on a plinker.

An after thought here, perhaps VQ should offer a kit for the informal shooter and hunter with out the trigger parts - with disconnect bushing, a full weight hammer and sear w/spring. They are a very small operation, it would not take much asking to get a package like that.
The MKIV magazine disconnector has zero effect on trigger quality. It simply pivots on the hammer bushing to block the sear when magazine is out and pivots out of the way when magazine is inserted.

Last edited by rws53; 05-19-2017 at 09:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 04:31 AM
fourbore

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rws53 View Post
The MKIV magazine disconnector has zero effect on trigger quality. It simply pivots on the hammer bushing to block the sear when magazine is out and pivots out of the way when magazine is inserted.
Sorry, but - this is wrong! Very wrong. The Mag-disco has ruined the trigger.
Old 05-20-2017, 09:26 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Hmmm, trigger quality? Now just what the heck does that mean? I can just imagine a new owner of a Ruger Mark IV pistol, first purchase of a .22 rimfire pistol ever, coming here to RFC and reading that he just bought a pistol with a poor trigger.

The trigger itself is not the best fit I've seen, several times now, as it pivots over the trigger pivot pin. Some actually wobble and slide from side to side, but that all can be fixed, but NOT by sending it back to Ruger. The width of the Ruger Mark IV trigger is quite a bit thinner than the previous Ruger Mark triggers, to accommodate the way the cut-out for it in the trigger guard was done.

The Volquartsen sear has ALWAYS been thee best method used to improved "trigger pull weight" and feel, on Ruger Mark trigger systems, and now it still is with the Mark IV.

The magazine disconnect parts in both the Ruger Mark III and the Mark IV don't have a dang thing to do with trigger quality, and effect the actual trigger pull only a minuscule amount, if at all.

What doesn't do either the Mark III, or Mark IV triggers a lick of good though, is the "fin" on the back face of both versions of the triggers used in these two versions. Due to the presence of the magazine disco parts the engineers at Ruger feel that that fin will engage the notch on the upper, top left of the magazine and help seat the magazine up and into place more positively, but there again, nobody will get a hernia because the "trigger pull" is a bit heavier.

If you stick with the factory trigger and install a Volquartsen sear, give some thought grinding off that fin on the back face of the trigger. Or better yet, get a well fitting "steel" trigger as a replacement. Working on that solution right now.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:27 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rws53 View Post
+1

Totally correct. The mag disconnect has nothing to do with trigger pull weight OR trigger design. The "fin" on the trigger is there to compensate for the design of the mag release. It lifts the mag to it's stops to improve feeding. That is all.
Old 05-20-2017, 12:27 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
+1

Totally correct. The mag disconnect has nothing to do with trigger pull weight OR trigger design. The "fin" on the trigger is there to compensate for the design of the mag release. It lifts the mag to it's stops to improve feeding. That is all.
Well, actually the fin helps the magazine latch grab onto and helps position, the magazine much more positively, and that action does indeed add to the "pull weight". The trigger fin has nothing to do with magazine release. A "GOOD" trigger pull gauge will prove that. Trigger pull is ALWAYS better when the magazine disco parts have been shed. It's been proven time and time again with the Ruger Mark III pistols here at Sarona Gun Works LLC and much extensive experience with these pistols.

Last edited by SGW Gunsmith; 05-20-2017 at 12:35 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 01:33 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
Well, actually the fin helps the magazine latch grab onto and helps position, the magazine much more positively, and that action does indeed add to the "pull weight". The trigger fin has nothing to do with magazine release. A "GOOD" trigger pull gauge will prove that. Trigger pull is ALWAYS better when the magazine disco parts have been shed. It's been proven time and time again with the Ruger Mark III pistols here at Sarona Gun Works LLC and much extensive experience with these pistols.
The latch does NOT "grab onto the magazine". The design of the latch is such that the magazine moves up and past the latch during insertion. The magazine then drops back down onto the latch and off of it's stops. This keeps the magazine from falling to the ground, but leaves it more poorly positioned for proper feeding.

Thus "feedramp jams", and the ridiculous fix of "tip the first round up".

The Ruger design engineers knew the new mag release design was going to cause feeding issues. And rather than extend the feedramp or redesign the mag well, they chose to add a fin to the trigger and a notch to the magazine so the trigger could lift the mag back to the correct position.

Take a MKIII with the Ruger trigger that has feedramp jams. Instead of "tipping the first round up", hold the trigger back while slingshotting the first round. No feedramp jams while feeding any of the 10 rounds. Wow - it works as designed!!!

I will agree, however, that this fin does add to the trigger pull weight. But that's obviously not anything Ruger is concerned about. (The MKIV "mag ejector" makes it even worse yet.)

A good fix is to add something else to position the mag correctly (or extend the feedramp) so the trigger fin can be removed. Then the trigger pull can be great (even with the mag disconnect still installed), AND it can feed reliably.

The mag disconnect has nothing to do with trigger pull.
Old 05-20-2017, 06:33 PM
rws53

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourbore View Post
Sorry, but - this is wrong! Very wrong. The Mag-disco has ruined the trigger.
So tell us what the magazine disconnector in the MKIV "rubs and bumps" (as you put it) on ruining trigger pull.

Last edited by rws53; 05-20-2017 at 06:42 PM.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:26 PM
Spunk_Puppy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks, gang.

So just changing the sear will help the trigger pull a fair bit? Again, I don't have much money to spend and have other priorities so would greatly prefer to spend $28 over $95+ for what is essentially a backyard plinker for me.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:45 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spunk_Puppy View Post
Thanks, gang.

So just changing the sear will help the trigger pull a fair bit? Again, I don't have much money to spend and have other priorities so would greatly prefer to spend $28 over $95+ for what is essentially a backyard plinker for me.
Yes, changing the sear will help a lot. You can also try removing the magazine ejector from the bottom of the frame. Easy to put back if you want, but the trigger won't have to fight against it. The mag drops easily anyway with just gravity. The mag used to get caught up on the MKIII disconnector in some guns, but that one had a bit different design.
Old 05-21-2017, 12:50 AM
Spunk_Puppy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
Yes, changing the sear will help a lot. You can also try removing the magazine ejector from the bottom of the frame. Easy to put back if you want, but the trigger won't have to fight against it. The mag drops easily anyway with just gravity. The mag used to get caught up on the MKIII disconnector in some guns, but that one had a bit different design.
Sounds good. I'll give VQ a call on Monday to buy the sear.