Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2017, 07:53 PM
BlindFaith429

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
To Bed, Or Not To Bed

So I am building a 10/22, and just ordered a scope base / rail.

I have read quite a few things regarding bedding the rail, but I'm wondering if it's nessecary or not.

I've also heard of people just "bedding" with blue loc-tite, and pretty much "gluing" the rail to the receiver.

I did put a straight edge on my receiver, and I do not have the dreaded "Ruger bump" on the top of the receiver at the front. However, it does look like it is not 100% perfectly flat. Almost looked like the top bows up in the center, so there is a slight light gap at the front and back. Almost like it was polished weird (not sure if the older receivers are polished or not, mines from 1988 or 1989).

I'm not looking to do 300 yard shooting, so I don't need it 100% perfect. However, I don't want to just throw it together half-@$$. I have not mounted it yet, so I can easily bed it.

Any thoughts? Opinions?
Old 05-19-2017, 08:40 PM
rawhp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just mount it using the right torque setting, and unless it rocks, I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:20 AM
stevebla
US Coast Guard Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I use blue Loctite on mine applied with bolt out. Had a rail work loose a few times no trouble since.

Old 05-20-2017, 08:31 AM
RCP Phx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have never heard of anyone "bedding" a rail(at least from those that knew better)!
Old 05-20-2017, 08:43 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
The only thing I've heard people using loctite for on the rails is on the screws that go into the receiver. The rails are made to fit the contour of the reciever. What did you do to flatten the top of yours?
Old 05-20-2017, 08:47 AM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I didn't mean to type that last sentence. ( can't edit) I meant to ask if you checked to see if the top of the rail was flat.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:35 AM
rawhp
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
I have never heard of anyone "bedding" a rail(at least from those that knew better)!
I bedded my Volquartsen rail to add about 17 MOA, but that wasn't done to deal with the receiver hump thing:

http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...961&highlight=
Old 05-20-2017, 07:59 PM
BlindFaith429

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhp View Post
I bedded my Volquartsen rail to add about 17 MOA, but that wasn't done to deal with the receiver hump thing:

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Coating the bottom with JB Weld (or something similar) and making sure you have 100% contact with the receiver, rather than relying on the rail to be machined to fit the top of the receiver.
Old 05-20-2017, 08:55 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlindFaith429 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhp View Post

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Coating the bottom with JB Weld (or something similar) and making sure you have 100% contact with the receiver, rather than relying on the rail to be machined to fit the top of the receiver.
Not exactly, he bedded his to add 17 moa to the rail, not so it would sit flat. I would just buy a new rail if it won't sit flat. I've put dozens of them on ( mostly $8 UTG) and never had to bed one to sit flat. I would think bedding it would make it harder to ensure that it is sitting correctly.