Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-17-2017, 03:35 PM
Snigley
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ruger Grips

Guys, I inherited a Ruger Std. with the magazine follower pin on the right side. I'd like to eventually get a nicer set of wood grips since the plastic ones on it are chipped. My question is What series of grips will fit it. I heard that Mark I grips would fit, but I want to be sure before purchasing something. Also, where would be a good place to look for some wood grips that fit. Thanks for your assistance.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:03 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
It depends if your grip frame is A100 or A54. The A54 will have the bottom grip screw higher on the right grip , as viewed from behind. The A100 will have will have the bottom screw hole higher on the left grip panel . If you have an A100 grip frame I have a set of flat panel walnut checkered grips that will fit it. If it is an A54 grip frame ,replacement grips will be harder to find.
SGW makes custom grips and he can probably make the proper grip for either type of grip frame.
Old 05-17-2017, 06:44 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Note - The A100 frame will be stamped with "A-100". The A54 frame will not have any stamp.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:55 PM
arjay

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
eBay and Numrich are worth a try
Old 05-17-2017, 07:25 PM
Snigley

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Apparently I have the A-54 frame as the grip screw on the right side is higher than on the left. I guess that this makes it a more difficult search. I really appreciate the help as I had not noticed that the screws were different heights.

From this information I'm going to assume that Mark "X" is not what matters, but that the grips fit an A-54 frame.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:36 PM
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Look at mkigrips.com I have ordered a pair from them and was pleased.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:37 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
Sparks, I agree entirely , Kevin turner is an outstanding grip maker
Old 05-18-2017, 10:05 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snigley View Post
Apparently I have the A-54 frame as the grip screw on the right side is higher than on the left. I guess that this makes it a more difficult search. I really appreciate the help as I had not noticed that the screws were different heights.

From this information I'm going to assume that Mark "X" is not what matters, but that the grips fit an A-54 frame.
Good plan! I do have some black walnut panels roughed out currently. These panels have some really nice coloration and grain structure, with no two sets of panels being alike. At this point my plan is to make some for the A54 grip frame and some for the A100 grip frame, as time allows.
What I did in the past was put them up on my web-site as they were completed, but they don't last long, so I'm planning to wait until all 10 sets of panels are done and then post all of 'em.

A few examples of A54 panels sold:

Last edited by SGW Gunsmith; 05-18-2017 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-18-2017, 12:27 PM
edlmann
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
This illustrates a kind of a Aswaned-if-you-do-GrandCouleed-if-you-don't point: Good checkering is it's own form of art, but tends to obscure the natural beauty of the underlying wood. The grips on the right look like they have some subtle coloring, but it's much harder to see than on the more spectacular grips on the left. Great coloring and workmanship on both.
Old 05-18-2017, 01:37 PM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
SGW: Do you do any thumb rest grips like the original Ruger target grips?

Old 05-18-2017, 02:02 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by n64atlas View Post
SGW: Do you do any thumb rest grips like the original Ruger target grips?

No, good American Walnut is getting harder and harder to latch onto and, becoming more expensive. Providing a thumb-rest requires removal of quite a bit of wood which to me is a waist and makes those type of grips more expensive.

American Walnut is very open grained and does not take the finer checkering very well with the tops of diamonds popping off, due to the course grain. 20 Lines per inch is about the finest that American Walnut will take.
When I can get California English Walnut at reasonable prices, that stuff has much finer grain and tight pores so it will take finer checkering ( 22 to 24 LPI ) and then show off color and grain patter much better, but it too is getting more expensive.

Pictures don't always show how the grain actually is like when you see the finished pattern up close and personal, and some wood, like from a walnut limb, when cut with a checkering tool, will never allow a smooth cut finish and will most always be fuzzy. These resawn panel blanks have some very decent color and grain for the small platform that Ruger grips offer. The "BEST" side is not necessarily up, in the picture below.

Old 05-18-2017, 05:00 PM
Empe

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparks1954 View Post
Look at mkigrips.com I have ordered a pair from them and was pleased.
I have never heard of this guy before but those sure are some nice grips that show up on his website and a pretty reasonable prices as well.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:46 PM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
N64 --- outstanding pistol!! Mark I 514 with A54 factory thumb rest grips !! Drool !!!
Empe the Turner target grips are what Volquartsen sold for years as their full target grips.
SGW is good but so is Kevin.

Last edited by JStacy; 05-18-2017 at 10:48 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:25 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Here's a set of panels for an A100 grip frame I did for "Schnauzer", an RFC member. Looks like the grain and coloration show up pretty well on these panels.

Last edited by SGW Gunsmith; 05-20-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 05-19-2017, 05:27 PM
n64atlas

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
N64 --- outstanding pistol!! Mark I 514 with A54 factory thumb rest grips !! Drool !!!
Empe the Turner target grips are what Volquartsen sold for years as their full target grips.
SGW is good but so is Kevin.
I got lucky on the 514. It was at a local gunshow. I think the guy thought he was getting more than it was worth. It came with two mags and two sets of grip panels.

Here is the other side of the 514. I don't recall ever seeing flat factory panels when I bought my first target model in 73.