Kidd vs. Volquartsen - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 05-19-2017, 01:48 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (57)

Any such testing to determine which brand of barrels shoot better is nonsense unless you test a sample of significant size to develop a confidence interval, a range of values we are fairly sure our true value lies in. For example, we are 90% sure XYZ is better than ABC 75% of the time.

Testing one barrel against another to determine the more accurate brand presumes all Kidd barrels shoot the same and all VQ barrels shoot the same, which we know is not true.

There are Kidd barrels that shoot better than VQ barrels and there are VQ barrels that shoot better than Kidd barrels...Tom

Last edited by Thomasconnor; 05-19-2017 at 06:03 PM.
Old 05-19-2017, 04:19 PM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Press Check View Post
Unless the testing is done in a barrel fixture to eliminate user-error, in my opinion, the results would be inconclusive, or completely subjective.
...and you would need a large number of each makers barrels to weed out any better/worse than average barrels being tested..after all everybody makes a bad one every now and then
Old 05-20-2017, 10:15 AM
Four52 shooter

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
I have a barrel from each - a VQ Muzzle Weighted Barrel and a KIDD Charger barrel. The VQ is an amazingly accurate barrel even firing "low end" Fed target 711B. I like the VQ barreled 10/22 so much my Shilen barreled 10/22 has sat unused for years! Just based on my experience with this VQ I would not hesitate to buy another.

The KIDD barreled Charger is significant upgrade from the stock unit. It was a real chore to install but there is no way any slop , play or looseness will ever be present. At 50 yards I was expecting a little better accuracy but in all fairness I am have not tried any real match ammo thus far - just std. vel. I may take it with me next range visit.

Old 05-23-2017, 05:47 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (57)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
...and you would need a large number of each makers barrels to weed out any better/worse than average barrels being tested..after all everybody makes a bad one every now and then
Actually, the purpose of a large number (significant sample size) accounts for better/worse barrels, and does not "weed out" anything. This is because ALL barrels are better or worse than average.

The sample size determines how confident one is with the results, the hypothetical 90% in the example above...Tom