Why no love for Taurus wheel guns? - Page 5 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 11-12-2016, 09:07 PM
Sidnal003
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

I love my Taurus guns... Here's my Taurus Tracker Model 990 9-shot 4" DA cal. .22lr holding its own with big brothers Ruger GP100 .357 and S&W Model 29 classic .44 mag

I was shooting steel and the Taurus was as accurate as the other two!

I used plain old Thunderbolt and it performed flawlessly

I use speedbeez quick loaders for it too... Can shoot 9 shots fast and reload fast as well

Last edited by Sidnal003; 11-12-2016 at 09:13 PM.
Old 11-12-2016, 10:32 PM
drinva
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have two of the older polished stainless Taurus wheel guns, one 357 mag and one 44 mag. Just finished cleaning the 44 mag an hour ago. My son and I shot 75 rounds through it. I can bust a soup can at 50 yards....LOTS of fun!!!

Old 05-18-2017, 10:37 PM
StuartJ12
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My Taurus 82, .38 special with 4 inch barrel, black matte because I couldn't find a stainless one:

Old 05-21-2017, 09:45 AM
topowell
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

North Missouri (hot in summer, cold in winter)
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice looking gun, StuartJ12. Would be a good match with my blued 4" 94.
Old 05-30-2017, 12:35 AM
minuteshaver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The main issue with Taurus is that its not a glamorous brand name.

No iconic movie like Dirty Harry to prop up sales and create a cult status. No famous men like Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, Cooper, and others to create the legend.

Right now, the Taurus company is in a death spiral. They have gutted their semi auto line of their best, most loved semi autos in order to create room for getting into semi automatic rifles. They got rid of almost competition grade semi autos, to enter into an over crowded AR clone market.

They screwed the finish up horribly for guns. Not only have they done away with actual blueing in favor of a spray on black paint, they have started using a spray on "matte stainless" finish on .357 trackers, a finish identical to what Heritage Uses.
I saw a current production tracker two days ago, and it was identical to the heritage rough riders in "matte stainless" spray on finish. It was already scratching on the tracker, and showing plain shiny steel under it.
Old 05-31-2017, 07:56 AM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Unhappy too bad to hear

Quote:
Originally Posted by minuteshaver View Post
The main issue with Taurus is that its not a glamorous brand name.

No iconic movie like Dirty Harry to prop up sales and create a cult status. No famous men like Elmer Keith, Skeeter Skelton, Cooper, and others to create the legend.

Right now, the Taurus company is in a death spiral. They have gutted their semi auto line of their best, most loved semi autos in order to create room for getting into semi automatic rifles. They got rid of almost competition grade semi autos, to enter into an over crowded AR clone market.

They screwed the finish up horribly for guns. Not only have they done away with actual blueing in favor of a spray on black paint, they have started using a spray on "matte stainless" finish on .357 trackers, a finish identical to what Heritage Uses.
I saw a current production tracker two days ago, and it was identical to the heritage rough riders in "matte stainless" spray on finish. It was already scratching on the tracker, and showing plain shiny steel under it.
I thought maybe they were on an UP swing!! I only own 2 Taurus made guns, a 1993 mdl 94 SS4 which I will put up against any other revolver for quality and function and a current 738 TCP mini .380 DA semi auto. it is my every day carry, and very reliable and well built. a smooth 4lb DA TP. it doesn't sound like the company is going in the right direction, too bad, they COULD be a real contender.
Old 05-31-2017, 11:25 PM
minuteshaver

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
they massacred their semi auto handgun lines. Got rid of the GOOD stuff, that was based on browning high power and beretta 92. All the semi autos they have left that are worth dealing with are the 809, the beretta 92fs, and the 1911.

The revolvers have become a hindsight item. They mutilated the finish to much for my taste. Since no retailer has changed to photos showing the current finish on revolvers, I cant recommend buying one unless its in person at a gun store.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:31 AM
StuartJ12

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'm happy with my black matte 82 which I got online. None of my local stores carry Taurus revolvers and most don't carry the semi autos unless they're "pre-owned". I've never seen a Taurus 1911 except online. I don't think the local stores will carry the Taurus rifles when they come out.

I saw 1 Burza Thunder at one store. Two carry two Heritage Rough Rider models (Heritage makes a lot more) . Otherwise local stores are not budget gun friendly. They don't even carry Maverick 88 shotguns or Marlin rifles.
Old 06-01-2017, 06:56 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Wally World is your friend

....at least for the Mossberg Maverick. Most stores have them in stock regularly.

Ferox34
Old 06-01-2017, 07:05 AM
StuartJ12

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Haven't seem them at Walmarts here.
Old 06-01-2017, 09:53 AM
drinva

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by minuteshaver View Post
they massacred their semi auto handgun lines. Got rid of the GOOD stuff, that was based on browning high power and beretta 92. All the semi autos they have left that are worth dealing with are the 809, the beretta 92fs, and the 1911.

The revolvers have become a hindsight item. They mutilated the finish to much for my taste. Since no retailer has changed to photos showing the current finish on revolvers, I cant recommend buying one unless its in person at a gun store.
I agree. I own one of the original PT92's built in the Beretta Factory and it's a heck of a great gun. The old polished revolvers were also GREAT guns-I own two of these, this was back when Smith and Wesson was involved in Taurus.

DR
Old 06-02-2017, 04:31 AM
j.r. guerra in s. texas

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Not many issues with my Taurus 941 UL .22 Magnum snubbie. The only I've noticed is that when fired quickly DA (which I hardly do anyway), action seems to gum up. Maybe heat ? In any case, slow fired single action, no issues with the function.

Old 06-06-2017, 03:30 PM
usmc1983
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whistleman123 View Post
I'm surprised by the lack of posts about Taurus revolvers. I just put the first 500 rounds through a 970 Tracker. At 250 rounds I fire lapped the bore and did a Flitz trigger job. I've got a weigland sight base with an Aimpoint red dot. So far I like it a lot and have absolutely no complaints.
Is there a thread I'm missing some how, or are they just not well liked
Personally, I think the biggest problem with Taurus right now, must be their customer service. I have owned a number of Taurus guns in the past, and all of them have done well, but the scary part begins if you have to send one in to get repaired. Sometimes, they do quick service, but most of the time it takes them forever to get your gun back to you, and that worries people.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:45 PM
jon p

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thumbs up i like the looks of that

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartJ12 View Post
My Taurus 82, .38 special with 4 inch barrel, black matte because I couldn't find a stainless one:
matt finish is sharp, pistol reminds me of my 1942 S&W Victory .38special.
Old 06-06-2017, 09:59 PM
A square 10

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
ive got one i love - ill never part with it , SAA 45 colt