Quality - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-11-2017, 05:47 AM
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

In the early days of plastic, it was pretty brittle stuff and couldn't take the stresses like it can today, or they would have used it more back then.

Now-a-days the properties of polymers and fiber-reinforced plastics, plus the cost factor, have allowed them to replace metal in many applications.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:15 AM
DRS
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadrat View Post
That is NOT what I said. IF Ruger did NOT cut costs and continued on as they did in the 1960's the 10/22 would cost you about a hundred or so more dollars that it cost now............AND people would NOT buy them!!

Just like all other manufacturers; they must build to a "price point" that folks will pay. Look at all the postings of people asking for the CHEAPEST, GOOD QUALITY, rifles available.
IF Ruger produced their 10/22, with less plastic or no plastic parts, they would have to charge more. HOWEVER, I'd gladly pay more for a quality rifle than a "cheaply made" one with too many plastic parts.

Might be that many Folks here are looking for the cheapest produced rifle; but for me, I only buy the BEST well constructed rifle, and will pay more for such.
Old 01-11-2017, 08:10 AM
RCP Phx

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by t4daddy View Post
The reason the Brimestone "prefers" poly is because its easier for them to tune, "because they are more uniform".
Fixed it for you!
Old 01-11-2017, 10:12 AM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Any company that offers trigger work or trigger kits will say that they can't guarantee their product unless it's the plastic trigger housing. The reason being is because the the tolerances are different on the metal housings. Because the plastic ones are all produced to the same specs and tolerances, this allows them to set up their equipment to produce consistent triggers from one to the next. There are plenty of smith's out there who can do an excellent job on a metal trigger housing, but it requires more time. It would not be very cost efficient for a company like Brimstone to have equipment for every single 10/22 that's out there.
Old 01-11-2017, 11:02 AM
ez_lle71
Fire Fighter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRS View Post
IF Ruger produced their 10/22, with less plastic or no plastic parts, they would have to charge more. HOWEVER, I'd gladly pay more for a quality rifle than a "cheaply made" one with too many plastic parts.

Might be that many Folks here are looking for the cheapest produced rifle; but for me, I only buy the BEST well constructed rifle, and will pay more for such.
Simple solution, if you don't want any plastic parts on your 10/22, just buy all aftermarket parts including the receiver. That way you cut Ruger completely out of the situation.
ez
Old 01-11-2017, 11:49 AM
douglas34474
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member Appleseed Member Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick7274 View Post
Any company that offers trigger work or trigger kits will say that they can't guarantee their product unless it's the plastic trigger housing. The reason being is because the the tolerances are different on the metal housings. Because the plastic ones are all produced to the same specs and tolerances, this allows them to set up their equipment to produce consistent triggers from one to the next. There are plenty of smith's out there who can do an excellent job on a metal trigger housing, but it requires more time. It would not be very cost efficient for a company like Brimstone to have equipment for every single 10/22 that's out there.
Bull! A decent Smith can tune either a plastic or metal trigger group equally well.

Can you tell us what the tolerances are between the plastic or metal trigger groups?
Old 01-11-2017, 11:53 AM
DRS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ez_lle71 View Post
Simple solution, if you don't want any plastic parts on your 10/22, just buy all aftermarket parts including the receiver. That way you cut Ruger completely out of the situation.
ez
I don't own a Ruger 10/22 and never will. Already have a Marlin Model 60 that is a piece of junk, with all the plastic and pot metal parts.
Old 01-11-2017, 12:03 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's exactly what I just said. If you read the whole post. I'm not saying that one is better than the other, just that metal trigger groups vary in tolerance (because they are metal ). That makes them inconsistent from one to the next. This is why companies won't give a guarantee on metal housings. Because all their parts are produced to the same tolerances. I have both metal and plastic, when I need a trigger job done on a metal one I bring it to a local smith. On my plastic ones I can get the same results with a parts kit. And just because they don't guarantee the metal housings doesn't mean they won't do them. I've read several reviews from people who sent their metal trigger groups to Brimstone, or installed trigger kits that have come out great....
Old 01-11-2017, 01:59 PM
t4daddy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCP Phx View Post
Fixed it for you!
Thanks, but it didn't need fixed.
Old 01-11-2017, 10:12 PM
azjeff
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Rifleman

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Look at the pic in the 4th post in the "there goes my finish" thread. Gray painted receiver and silver painted stainless barrel? In a different thread somewhere there are pics of what's under that gray paint on the receiver and it ain't pretty. The OP asked if they aren't built as well these days...fit and finish has as much to do with how they're built "now vs then" as high precision plastic parts replacing cast aluminum. Silver painted stainess barrel, really?

I'm experiencing the variations in castings right now, working on the hammer notch on the 96, it's still a touch too heavy, but in the 98 trigger group it's just about perfect. Doesn't bother me a bit as I greatly enjoy doing this fitting.