Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Sneak peek...next airbrushed stock

7K views 50 replies 24 participants last post by  Langford 
#1 ·
I had one painted last year, and loved how it turned out. I got the itch for another project recently, so I contacted the painter again (Andre Breaux from Excess Paint) and gave him a few ideas. I wanted something with a P51 Mustang theme...this is a teaser shot he just sent me, can't wait to see it finished now!

It's a PWS Raptor stock for anybody wondering...

See less See more
#9 ·
If he hadn't mentioned the P-51 in his post, I would have guessed the P-40 due to the pipes and the Flying Tigers shark teeth. That is one sweet looking stock. I contacted Andre on doing one for me. I want a Robert E. Lee scene on mine. See what he comes up with.

#21 ·
Hello, I'm new to the forum, stock looks fantastic.

I've been looking for a Raptor stock for my 1022 does anyone know of one for sale.
They've been out of production for some time now,
If you run a search for "PWS Raptor 10-22 stock", For sale here and there. A similar stock that is still available is the Barracuda (Designed by RFC's own "Turmite" a.k.a. Mike Turner) which you can find at race rifle.com:

https://1022racerifle.com/ruger/10-22/10-22-stocks/any-barrel-stocks/

Or you can find a similar ambidextrous design at Stocky's, called a "Terminator"...

It's not as good an ergonomic fit as the original Raptor, IMHO.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/catalogsearch/result/?cat=0&q=10-22

Hope this helps-

DrGunner

#28 ·
Thanks for the replies, I've seen the stocks you've mentioned, they all look good but I've tried the Raptor and that just fits. You never know, one may come up.
I would have to agree with you 100%, I personally would not choose any of those even that I recommended over a right handed Raptor; although the Tacsol Vantage is an excellent choice- Very comfortable to shoot offhand and has decent bench manners for its shape, and the inletting and finish are pretty much guaranteed to be excellent as they are done by Altamont.

You might want to talk to George a.k.a. azuy. He has a stock duplicator, I have long considered purchasing a nice AAA Claro walnut blank and having George carve me a Raptor from it. I have two raptor stocks, one with an action mounted in it and pillar bedded with a kid rear tang, and another NIB, waiting for my son to grow into. I will offer here and now to send the NIB one to George for him to dupe a stock for you, then he can create a pattern stock for him to keep for future reference- if he does not already have one on hand which would not surprise me. You could buy a blank from Boyds of your color choice, send it to George and have him rough cut and inlet it for you, then you do the finishing, or pay him to finish it.

What do you think?

Or - if this is too much work/cost, wait and see what comes down the pike - I bet you'll find one eventually. Whether it is the color that you want is much less likely to occur at this point in time as they have been out of production for several years.

Regards,

DrGunner

#33 ·
That's not a bad idea... I did contact them 2 years ago when my son decided he wanted an Applejack (Red & Black) Raptor stock when he outgrows his current PMACA chassis- to inquire as to If/When they might be producing more Raptor stocks. The response was that they were "out of production" and there was no "current plan" to produce more. I subsequently bought one in "Autumn Blaze" which is close enough, and my son likes it.
There have been rumors that the Raptor design was going to be sold to Altamont, but I think that rumor was just wishful thinking. If PWS does not plan to ever use the design again, I wonder what happens to the rights to it? IIRC, The Barracuda was designed by RFC member Turmite, and I think the Raptor was also his design, but I'm not certain. I'll reach out to him & ask.
I certainly don't want to hijack anyone's design, but I have bought 6 Raptor stocks, 4 at full price from PWS so I would hope they would not take exception to my plan to have a Walnut one made.

You're more than welcome to contact PWS and inquire about a group buy, I'd be interested in a walnut one as described above.

DrGunner

#30 ·
" might want to talk to George a.k.a. azuy. He has a stock duplicator, I have long considered purchasing a nice AAA Claro walnut blank and having George carve me a Raptor from it."

Doc, you wouldn't happen to have the dimensions of what a blank would need to be for a duplicated Raptor would you?

I have had that idea for years, but would like to know what dimensions need to be of a blank. I have blanks on hand, but what I have is cut for bench width & I'd hate to waste one on a narrow stock like the Raptor.

#31 ·
Hey Buddy-
I was just turning in for the evening... I have 2 very heavy workload days tomorrow and Friday. My stock stash is squirreled away in a high & dry spot in my garage & it'll take some doing to dig out...either that or I can remove the action from the one in my safe. I will do so and take a bunch of measurements when I can get to it, and post back here with them when I have the time, which will likely be Saturday.

DrG

#32 ·
Bruce... I still have one.. Conners .. the one in the waterfall photo.. it was first Gen and Serial numbered...tell me how/where/what measurements you seek and I can gettr done.. PM me... :bthumb:

#34 ·
Dr. G, personally, I am not tha interested in a Raptor stock but if there is a clamor for it I would enlist myself in a group buy.

I have seen a walnut Altamont Barracuda (right hand but they also have southpaw versions in laminate) with a FBC- (not bull) being sold for $135 + $10 shipping.

The store is not a sponsor of RFC, btw.

Found it by mistake about 2 months ago and there seems to be no movement of their Altamont Barracuda stock inventory, lol!

I will reveal it when the time comes, as I am eyeing 2 stocks myself when funds permit, lol again!

My tuition fee and other bills must be prioritized, you know :D

If you are interested in that walnut Altamont you may PM me and I will give you a the link---just promise you won't buy the other stocks with your unlimited funds, sir :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.