Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Marlin 795

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  JR47 
#1 ·
Recently bought a Marlin 795 with a synthetic stock, 1000 rnds Winchester ammo, 2 25 round promags, 2 7 round mags and 1 10 round mag. Took it out this morning for a little fun. Worked great and fun to shoot. Now to find a scope for it. Going to a local gunshow for that tomorrow.

#2 ·
Dave, you're gonna love that gun. I recently picked up one and couldn't be happier! I think it's the weight and the way it shoulders that makes it a great fit. I'll be adding a KAT trigger to mine asap. It just feels "so right" You might want to investigate TechSights before scoping it?

#3 ·
I love my 795 also. I didn't put a scope on it to keep the weight down. It's my walking type squirrel hunting rifle (as opposed to sitting under a cutting tree and waiting for the squirrels to come out). It seems light as a feather to carry and aim from the shoulder with no rest. When I was younger I didn't have problems with heavier guns but as I get older and my back problems get worse having a rifle I can shoot without a rest as easily as I can shoot my 795 is great. It's plenty accurate too. The only problem I have with it is I bought too many mags and I tend to load them all up and stick them in my pocket then go outside and shoot about 100 rounds in 3 minutes. It can really burn up the ammo.

#4 ·
I love my 795 also. I didn't put a scope on it to keep the weight down. It's my walking type squirrel hunting rifle (as opposed to sitting under a cutting tree and waiting for the squirrels to come out). It seems light as a feather to carry and aim from the shoulder with no rest. When I was younger I didn't have problems with heavier guns but as I get older and my back problems get worse having a rifle I can shoot without a rest as easily as I can shoot my 795 is great. It's plenty accurate too. The only problem I have with it is I bought too many mags and I tend to load them all up and stick them in my pocket then go outside and shoot about 100 rounds in 3 minutes. It can really burn up the ammo.
:D I have this problem when I take mine to the range with the 25rd promags.

#6 ·
I also love my 795, installed fiber-optic 'Fire Sights' because my old eyes and the stock iron sights didn't help much. At 50 yards I needed a bit more, an inexpensive 3x9 by32 scope and a Harris style bi-pod fixed the problem, very accurate. But burning through ammo is an issue, so a single shot bolt action rifle was a must for me.

#7 ·
I picked one up at a gun show just before Thanksgiving, thing looked barely used. Also picked up a cheap "sniper" brand scope at the show also only a 2x6 but very clear for the price I am pretty impressed, you can't find much on them and I've only seen them at gun shows and someone mentioned amazon, not a bad little scope for what we use it for. Took it out and my daughter shot it, didn't feed well with cheap ammo, switched to CCI still didn't feed right if you maxed the mag out with 10 rounds, it would do 7 flawlessly. Any way ended up giving it a good cleaning and oiling took it back out and didnt have any issues. Very accurate, and compared to the Mark II my son uses the trigger pull was quite a bit lighter, I like shooting this one.

#8 ·
795 ammo

I took mine out over the weekend to test it. Put 100 CCI mini mags through it. No problems. Going to Gander Mountain as they have a Simmons 22 mag scope 3x9x32 with rings on sale for $39.99 with a $20.00 rebate. My older eyes and the open sights do not get along.

#9 ·
I took mine out over the weekend to test it. Put 100 CCI mini mags through it. No problems. Going to Gander Mountain as they have a Simmons 22 mag scope 3x9x32 with rings on sale for $39.99 with a $20.00 rebate. My older eyes and the open sights do not get along.
I have that exact same scope on mine, surprisingly good quality, works very well for the price.

#15 ·
I bought each of my two step-daughters a 795 back in the 1990's. They both have fired thousands of rounds through them in the intervening decades. One, sadly was recently traded away for another rifle. The other soldiers on. Both had Weaver 4x rim-fire scopes on them.

Fine little guns.:bthumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.