Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:27 PM
rawhide

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Aftermarket sights for Lux or Trainer?

Tempted to buy one of the long barrel Lux or Trainer model rimfire rifles which I think would be great shooters for iron sights. So I got to wondering is there is an aftermarket rear sight that will mount on the receiver for longer sight radius? Something like Tech or Skinner, etc.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:38 PM
Turn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Williams peep sight will work for the rear.
Im still looking for a globe style front sight. Front sight options seem to be very limited.
Old 04-19-2017, 10:58 PM
Squeezer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Turn View Post
Williams peep sight will work for the rear.
Im still looking for a globe style front sight. Front sight options seem to be very limited.
I have had good results with J&P (RFC sponsor) aperture blades for the rear tangent sight on my 455 Training Rifle in .22LR with the very excellent 6MOA front post provided by the factory.

I have also mounted the Williams receiver sight offered by CZ-USA, and again have no problems using the factory front post. I shoot 6MOA round targets at various distances, and that target sits on the front post like a grapefruit on a fencepost.

What is the advantage, by the way, of a globe front sight? My only firearm with such a thing is 12GA.

Old 04-19-2017, 11:04 PM
Squeezer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Get the tangent rear sight

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhide View Post
Tempted to buy one of the long barrel Lux or Trainer model rimfire rifles which I think would be great shooters for iron sights.
The best (IMHO) rear sight offered by CZ is the tangent rear sight that is easily adjustable from 25~200 yards (or meters) on the Training Rifle (24.8" barrel) and on the UltraLux (28+ inch barrel).

The rear sight on the Full Stock and the Lux is a simple notched blade.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:04 PM
timberbeast
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Williams peep sight (buy the low one) works very well with the factory front post. The adapter for a CZ to BRNO front globe is nearly impossible to find.
Old 04-20-2017, 05:43 AM
RS39

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezer View Post
The best (IMHO) rear sight offered by CZ is the tangent rear sight that is easily adjustable from 25~200 yards (or meters) on the Training Rifle (24.8" barrel) and on the UltraLux (28+ inch barrel).

The rear sight on the Full Stock and the Lux is a simple notched blade.
https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/#!/CZ-...egory=20995123

and add the ghost ring aperture in place of the notch for a great combo go accurate and fast adjusting on the go
Old 04-20-2017, 10:15 PM
rawhide

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks. I think the Williams would be great.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:46 PM
toivo

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
This is the one you want:

http://shop.cz-usa.com/ProductDetail...W-Target-Knobs

Unfortunately "out of stock" at the moment. Sign up for the notification, and jump on it when they come in. They tend to go fast.
Old 04-21-2017, 01:56 AM
Turn

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by RS39 View Post
https://www.jnpgunsprings.com/#!/CZ-...egory=20995123

and add the ghost ring aperture in place of the notch for a great combo go accurate and fast adjusting on the go
I do like this option. I'm going to try these.
Thanks
Old 04-21-2017, 07:08 AM
Crestwalker
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Midway has them in stock, in the FP-GR or FP-AG, high/low line, with/without target knobs. Am currently using a low-line with my AmeriLlux and a high-line with my AmeriScout.

Last edited by Crestwalker; 04-21-2017 at 07:12 AM.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:38 AM
Crestwalker
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Squeezer.
"What is the advantage, by the way, of a globe front sight?"

Allows you to fiddle around with the blade/post thickness, aperture diameter/type (type= with/without bars), and filter selection until you find what you feel most comfortable with for a given shooting condition.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:35 PM
Squeezer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crestwalker View Post
Squeezer.
"What is the advantage, by the way, of a globe front sight?"

Allows you to fiddle around with the blade/post thickness, aperture diameter/type (type= with/without bars), and filter selection until you find what you feel most comfortable with for a given shooting condition.
Thanks for the response and the info. I like to learn something every time I visit RFC.

But I am still scratching my head on how to use a globe front sight. Please describe the optimum sight picture with an aperture, a bead, and a round, high-contrast target.
Old 04-21-2017, 12:54 PM
toivo

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeezer View Post
Thanks for the response and the info. I like to learn something every time I visit RFC.

But I am still scratching my head on how to use a globe front sight. Please describe the optimum sight picture with an aperture, a bead, and a round, high-contrast target.
I'm not an expert, but I'll take a shot at it. (Get it?)

First of all, a globe front allows you to change out what your front sight is: a post, another aperture, etc. The sight picture varies depending on what you choose.

If your front is a post, you want to something like a "lollipop" picture, where the front post is the stick and the bullseye (dark part of the target) is the lollipop. The trick is to sight in so that there's a sliver of white between the lollipop and the stick, because otherwise you'll end up with black-on-black (post-on-bullseye), which makes it hard to judge your vertical alignment.

If your front sight is an aperture, you want to choose one that is just slightly larger than the black part of the target. The goal is to have the bullseye centered in the front aperture and the front aperture centered in the rear aperture: two rings around a solid circle, if that makes sense.

Those are the two I'm familiar with. I'm not familiar with a bead-type front with a rear aperture, but I would assume that you center the bead on the bullseye. Obviously it would be easier if the bead were a contrasting color. Maybe somebody else can speak to that.

Last edited by toivo; 04-21-2017 at 12:56 PM. Reason: reword
Old 04-21-2017, 02:07 PM
Squeezer
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by toivo View Post
I'm not an expert, but I'll take a shot at it. (Get it?)

First of all, a globe front allows you to change out what your front sight is: a post, another aperture, etc. The sight picture varies depending on what you choose.

If your front is a post, you want to something like a "lollipop" picture, where the front post is the stick and the bullseye (dark part of the target) is the lollipop. The trick is to sight in so that there's a sliver of white between the lollipop and the stick, because otherwise you'll end up with black-on-black (post-on-bullseye), which makes it hard to judge your vertical alignment.

If your front sight is an aperture, you want to choose one that is just slightly larger than the black part of the target. The goal is to have the bullseye centered in the front aperture and the front aperture centered in the rear aperture: two rings around a solid circle, if that makes sense.

Those are the two I'm familiar with. I'm not familiar with a bead-type front with a rear aperture, but I would assume that you center the bead on the bullseye. Obviously it would be easier if the bead were a contrasting color. Maybe somebody else can speak to that.
Thanks for moving me forward. My mistake was that I did not understand the term globe front. I assumed it was some type of bead, as on my 12GA.

So what is a 'globe front' that allows the use of a post, an aperture, or I suppose a bead? Is one available for my CZ455 Training Rifle, and if so, does it replace the front post?

For the record, I currently use J&P ghost rings with my 6MOA factory front post for 6MOA round targets at various distances to create what I call a 'grapefruit on the fencepost' sight picture, and I leave the minimum possible white space at the tangent point between post and target. I particularly like to change shooting distances (25-50-75-100 yards) during an ammo-testing session, and the flexibility of the CZ455 Training Rifle rear tangent sight makes that possible and downright enjoyable.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:19 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hi,
I am the very happy owner of a CZ 455 UltraMatch and would like to know something about the Williams sight. I contacted Williams and they said that the fp-cz sight for the CZ 452/455 required drilling and tapping to attach. Is that the case with the one from CZ-USA? It looks like it just clamps on the rail.
One other question regarding front sights. My rifle does not have a sliding post sight but rather a pivoting blade that is positioned by adjusting two small screws on the front. Has there ever been an adapter for this kind of front sight to mount a globe? I currently have a Tech-Sights rear sight which came with a thinner front post designed for a ramp. With a bit of tweaking I got it working with the pivoting blade but I had to set it at max height to do so. The problem is the blade is too wide for the kind of target shooting I do so a thinner blade or globe would be a nice way to improve it.

Thanks,
Peter.