Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-21-2017, 06:07 PM
NeptuneMachines
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelor View Post
I am the lucky owner of the Maple stock shown above. Just received it with instructions on removing the factory stock and installing it in the new stock - nice touch.

The fit is absolutely perfect, the finish is perfect, the feel is great, and can't wait to shoot with it.

A work of art!!!!!
Sincere thanks for the kind words! I'm thrilled that you like it
Nice to know it went to a good home.

I've received 2 PMs asking about fit of the grip for various hand sizes. I thought a few pictures might help demonstrate how it fits better than words.

My wife wears women's small gloves. Her hands are tiny. She's shot my green prototype quite a bit last summer when I was finalizing the design and she thinks the grip is fine. It fills her hand, but it isn't overly large nor is it awkward at all according to her. The pad of her index finger lands right on the trigger.

I wear men's medium gloves, I'd say my hands are average size. I'm able to get a good firm grip, and comfortably wrap my fingers around. It feels secure. The pad of my index finger lands on the trigger if I bend my finger at an angle, same as my remington 700. The trigger is not so close that I have to shoot it with the center of my finger like my AR or AK.

I'll be the first one to admit that no one size ever fits all, but my green prototype has been handled or shot by 7 or 8 people ranging in hand size from small to bear-claws. Completely unsolicited, most commented that they like the grip on their own. None mentioned it being too large or showed any dislike. Some noticed the palm swell and commented that it fit their hand well. Admittedly I havent had any leftys handle it, but its symmetric and should be OK for them too
Old 01-21-2017, 09:44 PM
FXTINTX

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
First of all, great job on these stock designs!!

Secondly, have you considered other designs more in the Biathlon design like the 7-3 or 7-4 or Larsen used to sell?

Since you have the computer files for all of the inletting, changing the stock under and behind the grip would be the main focus to make more models.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:47 PM
NeptuneMachines
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FXTINTX View Post
First of all, great job on these stock designs!!

Secondly, have you considered other designs more in the Biathlon design like the 7-3 or 7-4 or Larsen used to sell?

Since you have the computer files for all of the inletting, changing the stock under and behind the grip would be the main focus to make more models.
thanks for the kind words!

In all honesty, I think it would be bit beyond my comfort zone to try to make a Biathlon stock. Sort of like a non-swimmer designing a dive-computer, or trying to improve on a snorkel design.
There's no technical limitation, I think I could probably draw up the stock, but I'd have no benchmarks to determine if the stock is "good" or not, meaning if it is a benefit or a hindrance to actual biathletes. I've never seen or held a real biathlon rifle, and dont know how to objectively evaluate a purpose made biathlon stock to determine which features are critical, so any attempt I made at making one would likely not be well received.

I'd probably need an hour to talk to a biathlon shooter and figure out what he wants, and learn what in his opinion constitutes good features in a stock. From there a fair bit of back and forth with drawings and CAD models would be the next step before I'd feed the machine some poplar for a test cut.

Undoubtedly it would be an interesting challenge, but I admit, I know my limitations and I'd be going in to it blind

Old 04-21-2017, 11:57 AM
NeptuneMachines
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
One more just for fun!
Walnut specimen sitting next to my aug.

Old 04-21-2017, 12:09 PM
PGT

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
wow. Would love one in walnut
Old 04-21-2017, 04:18 PM
Silas

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, that is one nice looking hunk of walnut!!
Old 04-21-2017, 05:05 PM
NeptuneMachines
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT View Post
wow. Would love one in walnut
I can cut one for you - pm me if interested. I'll probably be buying more lumber and aluminum the week after next.
Old 04-21-2017, 05:08 PM
NeptuneMachines
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silas View Post
Wow, that is one nice looking hunk of walnut!!
Its uncommon that I find one that pretty in the wood store, I had to put this pic up.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:18 PM
PGT

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NeptuneMachines View Post
I can cut one for you - pm me if interested. I'll probably be buying more lumber and aluminum the week after next.
Will do....would love a green stained one as well for my other BB. Can be less than perfect b/c that will be my shooter
Old 04-22-2017, 12:58 AM
NeptuneMachines
GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PGT View Post
Will do....would love a green stained one as well for my other BB. Can be less than perfect b/c that will be my shooter
I'm not really satisfied with my personal prototype in green when compared to a real hardwood. If its what you really want PM me and we can figure out what works best.

I had a wild idea though, I was going to cut another one out of zebra wood, bleach it pale until the lighter portions look significantly lighter and then hit it with green stain applied very sparingly in numerous coats.

It would derive the benefits of being a true hardwood along with the organic patterning of zebrawood + the uniqueness of green. Admittedly, just a pipe-dream at this point.