Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:01 PM
Nomack
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
How do you carry your front rest?

Hi Folks,

I'm moving toward getting a little more serious about BR shooting. Purchased a Caldwell Rock BR front rest. Seems decent, I've read about various mods and upgrades and will do some.

My question is, how the heck do people carry these things to the range? Certainly not in a typical range bag. The beast is heavy, oddly shaped, and not something I want to "toss in the trunk" (don't even have a trunk, drive a Jeep). I did some searching here, found one guy using a Pelican case. Any other ideas?

FWIW, I now also have to carry a full Champion's Choice tripod/spotting scope setup, which is also heavy and awkward. Not to mention the guns....

Ideas?

n
Old 04-20-2017, 07:06 PM
Nick7274

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I have a big duffel bag kind of like the ones you use to carry hockey gear in. It would probably fit in something like that, just make sure to get one with wheels on one side so you don't have to carry it.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:13 PM

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I put it and bags for 2 people (my wife and I) in an empty banana box. Rock BR, rear bag x2, front bag for her, and a couple sand bags. Weights dang near 40 pounds. That plus a range bag with ammo and other miscellaneous items for 2 shooters and 2 or 3 riffles is a truck load.

Now she wants a BR also so the box will be even heavier. I need a nice sturdy wheeled cart.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:50 PM
JEE

TPC Rating: 
100% (64)
I purchased a Pelican case that was missing the foam for fairly cheap on an auction site and then got a inexpensive plastic cutting board from wally world and cut it to fit the bottom of the case. I counter-sunk holes in the cutting board for the rest legs and I adjust the rest height so I can just feel the lid touch the bag when closing. It works pretty good and there's room for other stuff.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:02 AM
PEASHOOTER67
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Send a message via Yahoo to PEASHOOTER67
I have a cobalt tool bag that my cordless tools "drill -impact and so on" came in.

Rests and bags in bag with ammo.
Guns in gun cases and I carry it all on a hand cart from vehicle to to bench.

"The biggest communication problem is we don't listen to understand, we listen to reply"
Old 04-21-2017, 09:50 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
In a cheap bag from Harbor Freight. Looks like a tan gym bag and holds the front rest, rear bag and a couple of pieces of plywood I use to adjust heights. It won't zip but carries well.
Old 04-21-2017, 10:19 AM
Pastprime
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (94)
I carry my front rest and rear bag in a Rubbermaid Action Packer. They both fit nicely and the handles make for fairly easy toting. They come in different sizes and I settled on 19"x14"12".

If it doesn't work for you, I'm sure your wife can use it to store something even if she has to go shopping for something to fill it with.......

Hank
Old 04-21-2017, 10:26 AM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
Since my range is in my backyard, I carry my rest in my hand, but I love the ideas I'm seeing here.

Old 04-21-2017, 10:56 AM
Nomack

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Thanks for the replies, lots of good ideas here. Once I figure out a solution for me, I'll follow up with some pics. Gotta decide on some bags.

Off to turkey youth weekend with the boy. Hopefully eating bird on Sunday.

n
Old 04-21-2017, 11:25 AM
Nomack

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
duplicate post sorry
Old 04-21-2017, 11:41 AM
David Valdina
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Barefoot Bay, Florida and Cape Cod, Massachusetts
TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Alternate idea, use a bi-pod.

An alternate idea is to use a bi-pod. I understand the dedicated IR 50/50 shooters will want an expensive rest with a more expensive top, and they do all of their adjustments with it. 2 ounce triggers and price of gold ammo. Been there and done that. But I tired of it. I have shot a lot of bench rest iron sight matches here on RFC and use a rest for the rifles that don't accept a bi-pod. But I prefer the bi-pod which I find is every bit as steady and eliminates changing cant during the session. I make my sight adjustments with my weak hand on the rear bag and rifle stock. Just a suggestion.

I have never figured out a good way to carry the front rest. Sometimes it becomes a second trip from the car. I have experimented with hanging it from the 2 wheel cart I use to carry the range box and rifle(s) Nothing has pleased me. Maybe I need a gun bearer ?
Old 04-21-2017, 11:54 AM
Hoot

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
I got lucky when I bought mine. It came with a "Rest Nest" included.

Hoot
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 119991.jpg (126.7 KB, 11 views)

Last edited by Hoot; 04-21-2017 at 03:20 PM.
Old 04-21-2017, 03:09 PM
jqunac

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Though you already have some great suggestions mine is handy so here's another, Plano Model # 1619. The modified BE rest, rear bag and a couple of bean bags fit rather easily. It is sturdy enough to sit on with latching comfortable handles on each end it could be less high but overall very satisfactory. On sale Menards it was 10 or 12 dollars.
Old 04-21-2017, 04:59 PM
hawkeye62
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomack View Post
Hi Folks,

I'm moving toward getting a little more serious about BR shooting. Purchased a Caldwell Rock BR front rest. Seems decent, I've read about various mods and upgrades and will do some.

My question is, how the heck do people carry these things to the range? Certainly not in a typical range bag. The beast is heavy, oddly shaped, and not something I want to "toss in the trunk" (don't even have a trunk, drive a Jeep). I did some searching here, found one guy using a Pelican case. Any other ideas?

FWIW, I now also have to carry a full Champion's Choice tripod/spotting scope setup, which is also heavy and awkward. Not to mention the guns....

Ideas?

n
This is what I use.

https://www.amazon.com/G-P-S-Rolling...=gps+range+bag

Works perfectly.

Good luck, Jim
Old 04-21-2017, 10:49 PM
supersharp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think I always took for granted carrying my front rest to the range.It just rides in the trunk of the car and when I get there I bring most of my gear in and carry it in separately .It's got to weigh about 45 pounds. I think that's why most of my rifles wear bipods
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20170421_234032.jpg (527.4 KB, 5 views)