Browning Service Experience? - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-19-2017, 10:03 PM
denke900

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

It is my understanding that the major manufacturers (Browning located in Arnold MO) use Midwest Gunworks in Pevely MO, for some of their work. They are typically 6-8 weeks out. I have had stocks refinished there as a walk in customer and it did take a Long time, but their work was top notch.

Sent from my SM-T550 using Tapatalk
Old 04-20-2017, 08:27 AM
mgar

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I had a 3 year old Contour that developed a problem with the barrel - seemed it had not been heat treated properly and the chamber face was peening over where the slide hit it. I called Browning, they said send it in. took about 6 weeks but I got it back with a new barrel and slide, $0.00. I swear it shoots better as well. during the process, I checked online several times and it took a couple weeks just to go to 'assigned to gunsmith', then there were no updates until a day before it arrived via UPS. took a little longer than expected but no charge for a 3 year old gun is OK in my books. I also had several emails that were professional and helpful during the process.
Old 04-20-2017, 08:39 AM
LeonardS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Ive had no emails and my gun was 1 day old when I contacted them.

Old 04-20-2017, 10:55 AM
Geronimo877

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you have a picture of the "stain" ? A lot of the maple stocks have various dark streaks and specks in them, common in maple. It seems odd a bit of stain would be on the stock when none is used in the manufacture.

I'm not saying it wasn't, just seems unlikely.
Old 04-20-2017, 10:59 AM
Dean2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
We have become a society that expects everything immediately. It is a function of our electronic age. It used to take a letter a week to get across the country, a couple of days for a response and a week to get back. Mow we want the answer the same day.

A couple of months to get a really good repair/refinish on a gun stock is still very good service. IF it was a simple spray and dash it would be fast but you probably wouldn't like the outcome.

Browning has great service in terms of the quality of the work they do. Rarely have I heard of anyone having to send a gun back twice to get it fixed right. IF it takes a little longer I am okay with that. We also tend to forget that Browning sells hundreds of thousands of guns and they will fix you 100 year old shotgun for far less then the local gunsmith. For that reason they usually have a long line up of pieces to work on. I prefer to wait and have the gun fixed by true craftsman than to have them hire 20 "apprentices" to blast through the work.

Patience "Grasshopper".

Last edited by Dean2; 04-20-2017 at 11:05 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:07 PM
LeonardS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
We have become a society that expects everything immediately. It is a function of our electronic age. It used to take a letter a week to get across the country, a couple of days for a response and a week to get back. Mow we want the answer the same day.

A couple of months to get a really good repair/refinish on a gun stock is still very good service. IF it was a simple spray and dash it would be fast but you probably wouldn't like the outcome.

Browning has great service in terms of the quality of the work they do. Rarely have I heard of anyone having to send a gun back twice to get it fixed right. IF it takes a little longer I am okay with that. We also tend to forget that Browning sells hundreds of thousands of guns and they will fix you 100 year old shotgun for far less then the local gunsmith. For that reason they usually have a long line up of pieces to work on. I prefer to wait and have the gun fixed by true craftsman than to have them hire 20 "apprentices" to blast through the work.

Patience "Grasshopper".
They told me 6-8 weeks prior to sending it in. We are now beyond 8 weeks, so I don't think its unreasonable to ask for an explanation. They set an expectation and some type of explanation is a reasonable request.
Old 04-20-2017, 12:12 PM
LeonardS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geronimo877 View Post
Do you have a picture of the "stain" ? A lot of the maple stocks have various dark streaks and specks in them, common in maple. It seems odd a bit of stain would be on the stock when none is used in the manufacture.

I'm not saying it wasn't, just seems unlikely.
I can forward a photo to you if you'll post it. I haven't figured out the photo posting.
Old 04-20-2017, 01:09 PM
Dean2

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonardS View Post
They told me 6-8 weeks prior to sending it in. We are now beyond 8 weeks, so I don't think its unreasonable to ask for an explanation. They set an expectation and some type of explanation is a reasonable request.

They already gave you a very clear explanation of why it is taking longer than originally estimated. Originally they planned to swap stocks but they have no Maple ones on hand and a long wait to get one so now they are having to refinish it. From the sounds of it you seem to think that both options should take the same amount of time, which really isn't realistic.

As far as regular updates, they have thousands of guns in progress at any one time. It would take a bunch of manpower to send out regular updates, that in all reality won't get the gun back in the customers hands any faster. I do not think it is reasonable for you to expect pro-active Browning to you regular updates on your project but nothing stops you from checking with them once a month on where it is at.

Let us know how happy, or not, you are with the fix when you get the gun back. To me that is the measure of good or bad service.
Old 04-20-2017, 06:23 PM
torythebird

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My experience....

I bought a Browning BPS 12 gauge shotgun with the Invector Plus choke system. I patterned that gun with numerous loads and noticed it shot 4 inches to the left. I inserted a fiber optic Hawkeye Bore scope (not a cheap model) and saw the choke threads were slightly crooked when someone was "sleeping on the job" during the manufacturing process. I sent the gun with the barrel as Browning instructed to them via UPS. After a week, I actually got a phone call due to my request from a customer service rep who told the shot within their specs. I figured they would just replace the barrel and run their safety inspection on the rest of the gun and be done with it. Nope, they thought it was "ok" for a shotgun to shoot 4 inches to the left from POA. After I got it back, I cut the barrel down and re-machined a concentric choke hole in it since I had gunsmiths in the family. After I screwed in a turkey choke (.660), it shot dead-on using #6 shot Winchesters in tested distances of 25, 35, and 40 yards. I had clamped-on rifle sights on the rib to be sure I was shooting very accurate. Overall, like all big manufacturers, they screw up sometimes. Are they perfect? Nope..... Would I buy again from them? I know now to take some tools with me to the gun shop for inspection so I don't screwed again.....Nuff said...
Old 04-20-2017, 10:23 PM
JeffWarner
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by FortValleyMan View Post
Jeff...Mine is a brand new one but I guess it would be the same as on the older models.... they replaced the Adjustment ring, plungers, and springs.
The day it came back, I ran 50 through it and it was flawless. Before they fixed it, I would tighten the ring, put it back together, only to have it shoot loose again after 20 or so rounds. I don't know that your rifle is out of warranty. You might call Browning and tell them about your problem, I bet they give you a label to send it back, and fix it. It is worth a try. One thing for sure, if you sent it to them, it will be done right and you won't be bothered anymore. Good luck!
Sounds like I am on the right track ... I ordered a spare for the springs and plungers. Figured changing them out was the first step. The rifle is from 1971, so I will try few things first, so I can't see them covering the cost of sending it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camster View Post
If all of the little bits and pieces of the adjustment ring are intact and functional,they should never need more than a one click turn for quite a while.
Easy enough to lose the parts when the gun is disassembled,so I'd bet that something is missing,sticking, or misaligned.
I believe that there is a post here to describe an easy method of installing these parts.Otherwise,it requires three hands and a few expletives expressed.
Good safety tip. Thanks.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:34 AM
LeonardS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My online estimated completion date is now June 23rd, 2017. I was going to purchase another BL-22 before the 10% rebate ends on April 30th. I've decided to wait and see how this turns out before purchasing another Browning.
Old 04-24-2017, 07:20 PM
Jaxshooter
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Browning Service has always taken forever.