New to me LLV (Geo) shoots! - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-20-2017, 11:40 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
New to me LLV (Geo) shoots!

I recently bought a VQ LLV stainless upper from RFC member Geo. In another thread I indicated that I had a 22/45 grip frame with VQ sear and trigger (and I think a TK hammer bushing. . . not sure now), some Majestic Arms wooden grip panels and a Kane-Wolff mod to the slide release that I was scratching my head what to do with. It had started out as an LLV project with a different receiver, which had since become an all VQ pistol. Sooo . . . hadn't really intended to turn the 22/45 grip frame into another LLV, but Geo made me an offer I couldn't refuse. Everything arrived from him in the condition he said it would (and well-packed, too . . thx Geo) and the time finally came to put all the pieces of the puzzle together. The only Ruger parts are the grip frame, the bolt, and internals other than the sear, hammer bushing, and trigger. Franken-Ruger indeed.

Oddly, when I first assembled it, the trigger wouldn't function. I have done the assemply-disassembly tango often enough now that I was pretty sure I hadn't boogered it. So what to do? Well it sounded like the trigger in my grip frame wasn't re-setting. Played with the VQ adjustment screws that control sear-engagement and overtravel. Bingo. Here's what she looks like now;

Man, I have to say that is the ugliest collection of parts in my safe. Really. I like the receiver Geo sold me, but when you put it with a "white" Ultradot and mount it on a black plastic grip frame with brown wooden grip panels, it just looks like a kid whose mother dresses him funny. One nice thing about the Ultradot though: you can sight though it to the pistol's iron sights so if you ever lose battery power at the range, your day is not over. The stainless LLV barrel is chrome plated and heavy; it is noticeably heavier than the LLV receiver out of machined aluminum. Still, it gives a feeling of solidity in the hand and balances well. I am interested primarily in accuracy and improving my shooting, not speed of steel acquisition, so the weight doesn't bother me at all.

Here is the sight in target at 7 yards off an MTM rest with Federal Automatch:

Looks like the barrel does what VQ advertises it will: shoot straight! The LLV barrel comes with a built-in rail and the red dot on this makes it almost easy to group those shots together. So I moved back to 15 yards and gave it another go:

Basically, doubling the distance produced the same size groups. I think I will go back to 50 yards next time using a larger bull and see what the pistol can do. Cycling was flawless with Automatch, and honestly I am happy with these groups from a bulk plinking ammunition. BTW, the first set of round target bulls above were from some stamps I bought off Amazon, which I stamped on some 100 lb 5x7 card stock. If you are thinking of going that DIY route, do yourself a favor and get the 100-yard target stamp that Brownells sells instead (second target card). The quality of the Brownells/Sinclair stamp (sold here: http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...159-65135.aspx ) is head and shoulders above what Amazon sells. Easier to square to the edge of the paper too. (so much for my arts-and-crafts skills).

So bottom line for this ugly duckling: it shoots really well and functions flawlessly. Maybe I can win some beers off a guy who thinks that ugly pistols can't shoot. As a budget target pistol, this one will perform very well. I may get some pricier ammunition down the barrel and see whether that makes any difference.

Last edited by flangster; 04-20-2017 at 11:45 AM.
Old 04-20-2017, 11:50 PM
JStacy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
Run some CCI SV through it and see how it shoots at 50.
You are right that is an ugly gun you need to sell it to me so I can put it in the ugly gun section of my collection.
Old 04-21-2017, 07:15 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
Run some CCI SV through it and see how it shoots at 50.
You are right that is an ugly gun you need to sell it to me so I can put it in the ugly gun section of my collection.
Ha! I gotta say, the impressive thing about this when you think about it is that you could cobble together a pistol out of parts from four or five different places and have it function as well as it does. This is the real genius of the design, I think.

Barrel, trigger, sear = VQ
Grip frame/hammer/other internals/bolt/magazine = Ruger
Hammer Bushing/slide release = TK
Grip Panels = Majestic Arms
Sight = Ultradot

It just boggles the mind when you think about it. I was looking at some early Colt revolvers in a museum recently, (and some even earlier flintlocks) and every piece of those devices were custom fitted.

Old 04-21-2017, 07:27 AM
JStacy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
usually the whole is greater than the sum of it's parts! Synergy !
Old 04-21-2017, 01:32 PM
bugleboy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Gorgeous. LLV is on my short list.
Old 04-22-2017, 07:11 PM
mparker
US Air Force Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I did a similar project about 4 years ago. Mine has Ruger Mark III frame and bolt. Everything else is Volquartsen.

I rarely shoot at less than 25 yards with this gun. This is an NRA 25 yard slow fire target. I used Eley Tenex. Your LLV can almost certainly do as well.