NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triggerbender View Post
whichfinger, you must think the Heritage pistols are ok to have 4 of them
Well, they are all different.

Quote:
Did you have to file or bend any of yours to shoot poa?
I did, but its been so long I can't remember exactly what. A lot depends on what ammo you're shooting. They'll take anything on the shelf, from .22 shorts to .22 LR subsonic, to .22 LR hyper-velocity. (And then there's the magnum cylinder.) It may shoot to POA with only one brand/velocity. You can't be altering the sights every time you switch ammo, and certainly not on the ones without adjustable sights. It may shoot to POA with LR, but not with magnums.So one learns to stick with one particular ammo or learns to use Kentucky windage on stuff that doesn't shoot to POA. Like I said, it's a minute-of-can plinker.

Quote:
Have you ever tried to get a group off a bench with any of them?
I'm also a plinker. While I have shot using a support, I'm not a bench-rest shooter. I am more accurate using a rest, but age has more to do with that than anything.

Quote:
Any ammo you can tell they like better?
This is a subject that seems to provoke a lot of controversy. There is a school of thought that maintains one can have two identical guns but the same ammo used in both will produce different results (accuracy). I've seen it more than once and I'm in that camp.

Then there are those who say that's baloney. Well, who am I supposed to believe, them or my lying eyes? All I'll say is, in general the more expensive the ammo, the better it will shoot in any given gun. And the best way to find the most accurate ammo for your gun is to try several brands. But again, I'm not trying to shoot a prairie rat's eyeball at 25 yards (I have rifles I can do that with on a really good day), I just want to bounce that can 10 or 15 yards out.

Quote:
Old eyes, so sights are an issue for me and I usually end up doing a mod or 2 to get a sight picture I can deal with.
Got the same issue, and it has more to do with accuracy than the gun or ammo. Got cataract surgery coming up next month.

Quote:
Worse come to worse I would have no issue drilling and tapping a $120 dollar gun for a dot if it could hold a somewhat decent group.

Thanks
I wonder if a semi-auto like a Ruger or S&W might be a better choice for mounting a red-dot. Yeah, a lot more money, but they're made for it.

I like Heritage revolvers. They're clearly not built to the same standard as Ruger SAs, but they give great value for money. Having said that, a word of caution: Heritage used to offer their .22 revolvers in steel as well as zamak, and if you're thinking of drilling the top strap to mount a sight, seek out one in steel. The zamak frame is certainly strong enough for normal use with any .22LR or magnum ammo, but drilling introduces stress points for which the zamak frame wasn't designed.

Last edited by whichfinger; 02-25-2017 at 03:44 PM.
Old 02-27-2017, 02:25 PM
LukeSkywarner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Picked one up a few days ago and just finished trying it out at the range. I was quite impressed. Even with the 4.75" barrel I hit the bullseye far more than I expected at 10 yards. No firing issues either. It's quite fun to load and unload, which was kind of surprising.

I tried a variety of ammo with it. It actually did quite well with CCi Quiet, and sounded like a cap gun. it did seem like the accuracy went down a bit once it got dirty, but that could just be me.
Old 02-27-2017, 05:06 PM
lumpocoal
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Rough, Rough Rider

I had been looking at these for a while now so I decided to get one of the 4.75" 22LR models last week. At the first range trip, I was sort of disappointed watching it spit fliers 8 times out of ten. I tried several different kinds of ammo but it was hard to keep the hits on a 8-1/2" X 11" target at 5yds. It was all over the place. I'm no Eagle Eye, but I can generally do better than that, especially with such a nice single action trigger.
Once I got home I looked at the muzzle through a magnifying glass and discovered that the muzzle had not been finished very well. Must have been the last one assembled on a Friday afternoon.
Several years ago I had gotten one of those brass lapping tools from Brownell's so I put it to work.
I took the gun back to the range today and was very happy that the fix worked great! It's still no tack driver, but at least now it will work fine for a plinker.
I don't see any need to mess with the sights. With CCI SV it seems to hit right at POA while Mini-Mags shoot a little bit low, maybe an inch low at ten yards.
The action has been fine. No issues so far, probably 250 rounds through it. Altogether I think it will be fine for a range toy.

Old 02-27-2017, 05:31 PM
LukeSkywarner

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I did a bunch of reading about these before buying one, and I figured (as with most budget items like this) that there's a risk I could get a lemon. That's true for almost any mass-produced gun, but at this price point it's certainly much more likely. I took a gamble, and I ended up with a decent gun, certainly better than I expected at this price. Not that I expect it to be handed down to my kids or anything, but I'd be surprised if I don't get my money's worth out of it. And now I know I like shooting an SSA enough to get a nicer one next time around. But I wouldn't have been surprised if the thing had broken on my first trip to the range!
Old 03-01-2017, 11:39 AM
xtriggerman
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
IMO, a steady diet of magnum loads will end up giving you a loose barrel on these as they did on mine. The LR shot exceptionally well group wise and I agree, for the money its a great deal. The SAA I had before this was a JP sauer 22 mag and that one cracked the zamak frame in half just forward the rear sight notch while I was shooting it. I wont buy a zamak framed magnum but only for shooting magnum shot loads.
Old 03-07-2017, 04:34 PM
Triggerbender

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well I got one, looked at 3 before I found an acceptable one.

Shot it today, [email protected] with ammo it liked I shot some 2.5/3in. 6 shot groups.

Ammo it didn't like would actually tumble and open up, it liked HV ammo best.

The sights are small and mine the frame notch was real small so I touched it up with a small round file so I could see the front sight blade. A little black paint and GTG.

Shot to poa I am happy with it so far
Old 04-19-2017, 03:15 AM
Todd Coen

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
heritage

I have two. My second one would not line up the cylinder as soon as I took it out of the box. I sent it back and they replaced it.
TC
Old 04-22-2017, 04:34 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
98% (109)
Just picked my 4.5" at Gander last night for $101 they had a 15% discount & a free year in the NRA. I have a 6" too. The go well with the Super Blackhawks & Henry's. I read that they can't be sold in NC or MN because of "melting laws" I guess old laws to keep pot metal handguns out?
Old 04-22-2017, 04:18 PM
jcundiff
US Air Force Disabled American Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not true flylo, they can and are sold in North Carolina. Mine have all been sold in nc, Henry's too.
Old 04-22-2017, 06:35 PM
gmd1950
US Air Force Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
That's funny, local Pawn shop just finished selling about a 100 of them for $119 each. Check where I'm from.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:36 AM
Njanear
National Guard NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by flylo View Post
Just picked my 4.5" at Gander last night for $101 they had a 15% discount & a free year in the NRA. I have a 6" too. The go well with the Super Blackhawks & Henry's. I read that they can't be sold in NC or MN because of "melting laws" I guess old laws to keep pot metal handguns out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcundiff View Post
Not true flylo, they can and are sold in North Carolina. Mine have all been sold in nc, Henry's too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmd1950 View Post
That's funny, local Pawn shop just finished selling about a 100 of them for $119 each. Check where I'm from.
If I am not mistaken, I think he meant South Carolina. At one point, they didn't like the alloy-frame guns that melted at low temperature (like Ravens, Davis, Bryco, etc.). That might have changed though...

I got in on the Gander Mountain deal last week to get my first one ($109.13 out the door) and then woke up this morning to see that they have $20 off of $100 - and they had marked the 4.5 back down to $119.99, so I just ordered it. It was at my 'local' store* so with tax included, it cost me a whopping $106.99.

I haven't had a chance to shoot my other one yet but will say that those sights are . I really like the feel of it and the trigger pull seems to be decent. Hoping for 2 fun shooters... Really debating a .22WMR cylinder now.

* ETA for clarification: my 'local' GM is now an hour away, so I will have to pick it up later this week. Sadly, they are closing the one here in town so the deals don't apply to them.

Last edited by Njanear; 04-23-2017 at 09:10 AM. Reason: The SC rule might have changed...
Old 04-23-2017, 07:37 PM
Roadrat
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
89% (5)
They have their very own forum if you care to take a look:

http://www.gunslingerforum.com/
Old 04-24-2017, 09:13 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
98% (109)
Sorry if I was wrong, I must of got the state wrong, read it on Ganders websire & was suprised by it & never heard of it before.
It does go well with my Super Blackhawk. Last nught I bid & bought 2 matching old west style holsters for $50/shipped one for the 22 & the 44 mag.

Last edited by flylo; 04-24-2017 at 09:16 PM.