Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-06-2017, 09:38 PM
glhoffman
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Marlin 2000 w/micro grove barrel

I have the opportunity to acquire a Marlin 2000 that is not in the best shape. I am thinking that this riffle might make a good project gun for silhouette shooting. Does anyone have any experience with this gun? The stock is in poor shape, and I do not know how it shoots. Should I spend any time and money to try and make it into a silhouette gun?

If you are not familiar with the Marlin 2000 you can see it at: http://www.marlinforum.com/The-Marli...et-Rifles.html
Old 04-06-2017, 09:59 PM
Doodaddy

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
I'd put it on a scale and literally weigh your options. Those are heavy guns and will likely only qualify for Standard class. If that's fine and it's a rifle you're interested in, then go for it, but personally I think your money could be spent better elsewhere.

What sort of price is placed on that rifle?
Old 04-06-2017, 10:12 PM
glhoffman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I am thinking that the stock will need to be replaced or at least modified. As for the cost, I believe that the way this will work is I will get the gun and make a donation to the group that owns it. The gun has not been used for many years and is basically being scrapped out of their inventory. This is why I am asking about the viability of this gun as a project. The up-front cost will be minimal. The reals cost will be time and added work that I do.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:48 AM
whistleman123
Emergency Medical Technician

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I took a Marlin Biathalon with a modified stock to the National Championships many years ago and won my class! It was a kick beating all those $2000 rifles with my $200 rifle.
My complete set up was the Marlin Biathalon, topped with a 4 power Leopold (yes, I said four power), and Russian Sniper ammo.
Wish I would have never sold that gun!
Old 04-07-2017, 06:40 AM
glhoffman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
whistleman123 do you have any pictures of your Marlin? I am interested in your custom stock. I have also been doing some reading about this gun and it looks like it has a very good trigger. On your riffle did you do any work on the trigger?
Old 04-07-2017, 06:53 AM
crooked

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is the easiest question ever. Absolutely! You don't see one of those every day. And it looks fun. But also I have an affinity for target style riffles. I wonder scoop it up in a second.
Old 04-07-2017, 03:33 PM
jnyork
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (16)
I would grab it. The stock can be fixed with a couple of rattlecans. If the bore is still bright and shiney, and the trigger works as designed, you should be good to go.
Old 04-16-2017, 01:52 PM
glhoffman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I picked up the rifle yesterday. The barrel looks fine and everything seems to be in good working order, but the stock is UGLY! It looks like it is a black compost with some type of blue paint or coating on it. The blue is pealing away in places. Does anyone know if this was just some type of paint?

Also, I think I want to install the magazine kit. Any ideas on were I can find one?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg WIN_20170416_11_41_04_Pro.jpg (342.7 KB, 7 views)
Old 04-18-2017, 12:47 AM
glhoffman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
The stock is off and the blue paint has been removed. Now I need to get some fiberglass filler. There are a few imperfections that I want to fill before I start to paint.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bare Stock 1.jpg (515.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Bare Stock 2.jpg (522.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 04-24-2017, 08:55 PM
frankmako
US Army Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
with the weight of 8.5 pounds you don't have much to work with for standard class (10.2) and hunter rifle (9). by time you mount a scope you might not make weight. is the barrel a full bull barrel? in hunter rifle the barrel must have a taper. the stock will not work for hunter class, not sure on standard class. you can single load in both classes now.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:42 AM
PakProtector
US Marines Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Best thing is to read the rules. I took my 1811 to a rather informal match, made 10 of 40 shots, learned a lot, and began contemplating a bullpup build around a similar action...and then read the rules...LOL/LMAO.

Since the goal is some competition that will motivate me to work out at offhand, I am going to 'compete' against the rimfires( CZ and Annie for the most part) with my pellet gun. I have *NO* issue knocking over the 1/5 scale Ram... assuming I connect with him.
cheers,
Douglas
Old 05-10-2017, 11:45 PM
glhoffman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Updated the stock

I have cleaned, patched, filled and painted the stock and it looks good and should be relatively durable. It has 15 coats of clear lacquer. I have purchased the scope rings and some other parts. I also found someone that will build me a biathlon kit for a reasonable price. However, I am going to put an old Redfield 3x9 scope on it and take it to the range before I spend any more time or money on this gun. So far I have only put one round through it in the back yard just to make sure that it fires. Now I want to see how well it does at the range before I buy a scope.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Marlin 2000.jpg (570.1 KB, 5 views)
Old 05-11-2017, 07:09 AM
grg
US Army Disabled American Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
You did a great job on your rifle, Marlins shoot very well especially for the money invested.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:58 PM
Wonderman
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
micro-grooves

This rifle has the micro-groove barrel and my experience required to shoot CLEAN. I had to keep the barrel clean for it to shoot well.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:39 AM
glhoffman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
When you say shoot "CLEAN" what are you talking about? Did you need to use special ammunition or did you just need to spend extra time cleaning the riffle?

I actually found a different issue that needs to be taken care of. I took the riffle to the range the other day and it misfired about every 5th shot. I tried three different types of ammunition with the same results. I brought it home and took the bolt apart as much as I could and cleaned and lubricated it well. Hopefully that will resolve the issue otherwise I am going to need to take it to the gunsmith.