Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-17-2017, 08:23 AM
Deejay
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
MAS 45 magazines : Mauser-made or MAS-made ?

A question I would like to ask the more knowledgeable forum members : MAS 45 trainers were either made and assembled at the Oberndorf am Neckar Mauser factory or assembled at the Manufacture d'Armes de Saint-Étienne (MAS) after June 1946, but what about MAS 45 magazines ? Were they (1) made and assembled at Oberndorf, (2) assembled at Saint-Étienne from Mauser parts or (3) did the MAS make its own MAS 45 magazines from purely French parts ?

From what I have read, large-lettered Mod. 45 floorplates would indicate MAS-assembled magazines, whereas small-lettered ones would be indicative of Mauser-assembled ones, which still doesn't tell us whether those magazines were assembled from French parts or German ones for the latter of the two.

Last edited by Deejay; 04-17-2017 at 10:11 AM.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:58 AM
n64atlas
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
There are actually more than just two versions. The mags are the same as one of the Ms Mauser's. I don't have access to my mags for a couple of weeks, so I can't post pics
Old 04-17-2017, 12:48 PM
Deejay
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, indeed : the two mags above are different both from the point of view of their lettering and from the point of view of how they were made. It would be interesting to know just how many different models were produced.

Old 04-17-2017, 01:34 PM
gewehrfreund
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
I don't think it makes any difference since they all interchange.
And all were made on German machinery (AFAIK), whether in Oberndorf or in France.
I'd guess, like the early Mauser produced rifles, the early magazines were marked "Mauser", then it was changed to MAS 45 when everything was moved to France.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:06 PM
Deejay
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well, from what I have gathered the "Mauser banner" mags were the ones that went with the original German Mauser Mod. 45 rifles, the small-lettered "Mod.45" were produced at the Mauser factory and the big-lettered ones at the Saint-Etienne MAS factory.

Of course, they all interchange but I was curious to know whether the MAS mags were made from German parts.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:09 PM
gewehrfreund

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
Well, from what I have gathered the "Mauser banner" mags were the ones that went with the original German Mauser Mod. 45 rifles, the small-lettered "Mod.45" were produced at the Mauser factory and the big-lettered ones at the Saint-Etienne MAS factory.

Of course, they all interchange but I was curious to know whether the MAS mags were made from German parts.
Jon Speed, who wrote the book on the Mauser rimfires, might know, but I doubt there's any way to really tell.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:16 PM
Deejay
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yes, the Manufacture d'Armes de Saint-Etienne is outside the scope of his study, I'm afraid.
Old 04-17-2017, 03:45 PM
gewehrfreund

TPC Rating: 
100% (33)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deejay View Post
Yes, the Manufacture d'Armes de Saint-Etienne is outside the scope of his study, I'm afraid.
No it isn't. He has a whole chapter on the Mod. 45 in his book.
Old 04-17-2017, 04:38 PM
Deejay
US Navy

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
At any rate, the data he gives in that chapter is mostly "Mauser-centred" : he overlooks the fact that Mauser produced and MAS produced Mod. 45s were not one and the same version of the rifle : French Mod. 45s were shorter than German ones, for example.