Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:46 AM
ekaphoto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Volquartson extended safety

I was wondering what if any mods I would have to make to fit a Mk II extended safety onto my MkI. It is an A100 frame 5.5 bull aka Mk I NOT standard if that makes a difference.

Any other options for extended safety? I have Hogue grips and the safety is hard to reach for me.
Old 04-04-2017, 01:06 PM
JStacy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
If you do replace the Mark I safety with a MK II safety you will loose the hold open feature the Mark I safety has. I do not know of any extensions available for the Mark I safety.
Old 04-04-2017, 03:05 PM
ekaphoto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Is it a drop in part or does the MKII need to be modified to fit? I don't use the bolt hold open option.

Old 04-04-2017, 03:37 PM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It'll be a drop-in part. Be sure to keep the MKI safety in a safe place. When you decide to sell, the buyer will probably want the hold-open safety installed.
Old 04-05-2017, 12:11 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaphoto View Post
I was wondering what if any mods I would have to make to fit a Mk II extended safety onto my MkI. It is an A100 frame 5.5 bull aka Mk I NOT standard if that makes a difference.

Any other options for extended safety? I have Hogue grips and the safety is hard to reach for me.
You've been misled by the post above. It is definitely NOT a drop in "workable" solution. The safeties are completely different.

The bolt is different on the Mark I than the Mark II, therefore the safeties are different, but there is another approach to what you want to do. If you have the equipment, you can make an extension for the safety thumb button you already have.

Last edited by Sophia; 04-05-2017 at 05:26 PM. Reason: off topic baiting removed
Old 04-06-2017, 01:34 AM
ekaphoto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
You've been misled by the post above. It is definitely NOT a drop in "workable" solution. The safeties are completely different.

The bolt is different on the Mark I than the Mark II, therefore the safeties are different, but there is another approach to what you want to do. If you have the equipment, you can make an extension for the safety thumb button you already have.
That sounds like a plan. Using what? I am guessing you have done this before.
Old 04-06-2017, 05:07 AM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ekaphoto View Post
That sounds like a plan. Using what? I am guessing you have done this before.
Yes. Can make an extension to any length you want.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:37 AM
Test_Engineer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Test_Engineer View Post
It'll be a drop-in part. Be sure to keep the MKI safety in a safe place. When you decide to sell, the buyer will probably want the hold-open safety installed.
Before you start modifying a very hard to find MKI safety, I suggest you contact the knowledgeable folks at Volquartsen. They will tell you, their extended safety will drop-in, provided you are willing to lose the hold-open feature.

Preserving the ability to sell your pistol as unmodified should be worth the ~$30 replacement part.

However, if you do want to keep the hold open feature, a mod will be required - with either one of the safeties.
Old 04-06-2017, 04:18 PM
Steve in IN

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'm not wasting my time PMing you guys why your posts were deleted because you already know.

Part of the rules we all agreed to :

Quote:
10) Feel free to disagree in forum discussions as long as the disagreement stays on topic and does not turn into an exchange of personal attacks and insults or the use of rude & insulting language. In the event of heated arguments, that specific post or the entire thread may be deleted depending upon the content therein. While this board is open to everyone, to keep it fair, peaceful and educational, we must impose restrictions on what you can and cannot post. If you feel a need to continue an off-topic debate with another member do so away from RimfireCentral so as not to ruin the experience of other guests.
You 2 need to just avoid each other. No matter what! Just do not ever comment on the other's posts because you obviously cannot remain civil!
Old 04-06-2017, 05:53 PM
SGW Gunsmith

TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
To correct an erroneous post, the Mark I Safeties are absolutely NOT impossible to find. Here's four of 'em that still exist, and I'm sure there are many, many more out there.

The above safeties are quite different because of the top hook for the Mark I bolt, than the Volquartsen extended safety that's made and designated quite clearly for the Ruger Mark II & III. It appears that's not very well understood by some around here. Volquartsen does NOT make an extended safety for the Ruger Mark I.
Apparently getting things across in these forums to help, rather than confuse members, is no longer a worthwhile endeavor?

And, a small tapped hole in the thumb button on the original Mark I safety to add an extension will NOT denigrate the value of the pistol.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:07 PM
snowman1

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve in IN View Post
I'm not wasting my time PMing you guys why your posts were deleted because you already know.

Part of the rules we all agreed to :

You 2 need to just avoid each other. No matter what! Just do not ever comment on the other's posts because you obviously cannot remain civil!
You couldn't hit that nail any better with an 8 lb sledge.
Old 04-09-2017, 11:30 AM
ekaphoto

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SGW Gunsmith View Post
And, a small tapped hole in the thumb button on the original Mark I safety to add an extension will NOT denigrate the value of the pistol.
What is the cost of a MkI safety in case I mess mine up? I am not worried about it being original, it was not original when I bought it, someone installed a Clark trigger on it.

Any advice on hole size and threads to attach an extension to existing safety?