Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:51 PM
Brittman
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join! Appleseed Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Differences between M82 and K22...?

Gentlemen,

Not to start an argument, but what are the main differences between the older Oregon M82 and the latter K22 out of NY? Is one model better than the other?

Is one more accurate - better finished - better functioning - better trigger - etc.?Any thoughts or opinions are appreciated. I know this Forum has the experts, so
I thought this would be a good learning experience for me.

Thank you all!
Brittman
Old 06-19-2017, 06:34 AM
VertFish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
if you took a survey of Kimber owners who have or have had them all, I think you would find a majority that would say:
1. As between the KoO/KoA A, B and C actions, the best was the B as it eliminated the cocking stud, provided a faster lock time and was prettier.
2. The K-22 action was an adaptation that was largely based on the venerable pre-war Mauser 34 action that featured claw extraction and a centered firing pin via an eccentric bolt to the bore.
3. Since the A and B stocks were not pillared and the barrels were not floated as you find in the C's and K-22, it would be difficult to speculate which bolt provided the greatest accuracy.
4. While many laud the accuracy of the KoA C guns, it has been said that the actions were "softer" and do tend to wear and get sloppy quicker.
5. I have not heard many complaints about the K-22 action and the KoNY rifles tend to shoot very well.
Old 06-19-2017, 08:40 AM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Good summation. I would add that most prefer the aesthetics of all aspects of the Kimber rifles predating the K-22, and I would agree with that.

On the other hand, with just a few exceptions, almost everything about the K-22 action is superior to the previous actions. In general, it is a better engineered and more thoroughly debugged design. Though adequate, the older Kimber actions appeared to be the result of trial and error, with little or no engineering analysis. They also seemed more inconsistent from rifle to rifle, so quality control of the day was rather lacking. I have never personally seen any softness in the critical parts, but quite a few people have commented on it. The rocker safety on most of the pre-K-22 rifles never appealed to me, much preferring the firing pin retracting M-70 style safety of the K-22. Triggers on all were pretty good, but I like the more robust, all-steel design of the K-22 (again, aesthetically, the K-22 finger piece shape is uninspiring). Heat treating of the K-22 seemed absolutely appropriate and consistent, at least with the examples I owned and have examined. I don't really like the screwed-in bolt handles of the K-22 and the Cs, and the K-22 had/has magazine issues that would sometimes allow the shaving of lead from the bullets as the rounds feed into the chamber. There have been several threads here outlining some K-22 lemons, and I don't doubt those, as any manufacturer can let some bad rifles through, but I think most of those complaints involved the barrel quality.

Just my own subjective opinions, but I hope they help.

TBR

Old 06-19-2017, 11:08 AM
Brittman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
VertFish & TEDDY BEAR RAT,

Thank you for your comments - I really appreciate you both taking the time to respond.

I learned a lot already. It's nice to read of your experiences with the Kimbers. Please send any other comments!

Brittman
Old 06-19-2017, 11:44 AM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittman View Post
VertFish & TEDDY BEAR RAT,

Thank you for your comments - I really appreciate you both taking the time to respond.

I learned a lot already. It's nice to read of your experiences with the Kimbers. Please send any other comments!

Brittman
TBR is a highly-respected gunsmith and RFC is lucky to have him posting his experiences. You can learn a great deal about Kimbers by opening up the Kimber Kollege sticky at the top of the Kimber forum page.
Old 06-19-2017, 03:20 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
There are many more variations of the Kimber of Oregon 82's to choose from if you are a serious collector.
Old 06-20-2017, 10:44 AM
Brittman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

HUSHKABOOM,

Are there more variations in the KoO line than the later Kimber NY line? From what I have seen here, there were some beautiful rifles made by both..? WOW...!!

The Kimber Kollege sticky is great! I cannot believe all of the knowledge the members have on this Forum . Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!

Brittman
Old 06-20-2017, 10:48 AM
VertFish

TPC Rating: 
100% (41)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittman View Post
HUSHKABOOM,

Are there more variations in the KoO line than the later Kimber NY line? From what I have seen here, there were some beautiful rifles made by both..? WOW...!!

The Kimber Kollege sticky is great! I cannot believe all of the knowledge the members have on this Forum . Thank you all for sharing your knowledge!

Brittman
There are at least 3 or 4 times the KoA models than the KoNY models.
Old 06-20-2017, 01:02 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
What Vertfish says! That Rascal knows Kimbers and many of the top experts and collectors. The Oregon guns show up much more often on the auction sights so if you study the Kimber Kollege sticky and study whats for sale or has sold on the auction sights you can get a good idea of what was made.
Also check this out.
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...d.php?t=242990
Old 06-20-2017, 01:42 PM
TEDDY BEAR RAT
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
Brittman,
Perhaps a better way to view the Kimbers is not which is a better design, but rather whether you are looking for a beautiful but functional collector piece or a nice looking shooter/field rifle. While there seems to be a bit of collector interest in some of the NY guns, that is nowhere near the collector interest in the Oregon rifles, and this explains the high prices for the latter. They are beautiful works of art, and the designers sought input from master rifle builders and applied every classic styling touch of the day, something that was sorely lacking elsewhere in the firearms industry; aesthetics ruled the day, not necessarily functionality. Short of a full-blown custom rifle, there really was nothing like those Oregon Kimbers, although Cooper and Dakota, to lesser degree, have taken up the cause. The Yonkers rifles took more of an engineering approach to create a superior bolt action .22, with an eye toward aesthetics. Now, I know many have put thousands of rounds through their Oregon rifles, so the design is not necessarily flawed, but it did have some important limitations, despite Kimber's oft-stated goal of emulating the 52 Winchester Sporting rifle.

TBR