Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-05-2016, 05:00 PM
Old-Duckman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VietnamVet View Post
I have one final comment

I don't think there are any guns that are a "be all end all" firearms.

Everyone must find the one or ones that fit their personal need, function and taste.
I agree 100%...everything in life is a compromise.

I used to subscribe to "Rifle" magazine and they had a saying on the inside cover (or somewhere prominent) that said "Only accurate rifles are interesting."

I wholeheartedly agree with that statement...Unfortunately I have some that aren't very "interesting". But, that is another story.

With respect to getting off topic of the original post. I used to belong to a local board and knew the moderator personally. His approach to "evolving threads" (if you want to give them a name) is that posts/threads are like conversations in face to face life...they often stray off topic and that helps keep the conversation fresh and interesting...Another thought I completely agree with !
Old 06-05-2016, 07:40 PM
Danwin22
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I have one final comment

I don't think there are any guns that are a "be all end all" firearms.

Everyone must find the one or ones that fit their personal need, function and taste.
Yup "Brand Loyalty" will always be with us be it a car, such as Ford or Chevy or guns by maker or even type and some by favorite caliber.

We are lucky to have so many choices of great new models or fine older guns.
Old 06-06-2016, 09:21 AM
Squirrelhunter
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
I'm with you Squirrelhunter , here is the wood on my Golden Boy H004M .22 Magnum

I rather like the wood on my Henry. In fact personally, it is the best looking wood I have ever had on any rifle. So if it was (possibly) and I repeat possibly cut, routed and finished by some other company it doesn't matter to me. It came from the USA originally and that is all that matters to me.

I also agree in my opinion, that for the money spent, Henry lever action rifles are as good as any other brand lever action rifles out there and in some cases better. That's my two cents at least
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danwin22 View Post
My three lever .22's on my horse jump stand outside picture takin' rack.

Winchester 9422
Uberti Silverboy
Henry Golden Boy
Rossi 62 copy of Winchester model 62

I still have room on my rack for a Marlin Mountie and Browning BL22.

EDIT: I noticed the Uberti Silverboy has less stock drop than the Winchester 9422. Should work out fine with a scope.
Really nice looking guns there guys I wish the Henrys I'd owned had wood as nice as that Golden Boy of your's VV

I don't think the wood-stocks-origin banter has detracted from this thread, only perhaps added to it some; everyone has remained complimentary of DanWin's guns, and we've got some nice extra photos to go along with it

Whatever the whole truth is regarding Henry's walnut stocks, it would be nice to get the full skinny, even though I'm in agreement it isn't a big deal overall, and doesn't detract from Henry's good qualities in any way. I do think that Martiniaction posted here in an effort to stir up people, make controversy, etc.

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~

Old 06-11-2016, 09:51 PM
squatchout

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'll believe the comment on the Henry stocks when someone can show some sort of documentation.

As for the zinc receivers. Has anyone who complains about them actually owned a Henry 22 or taken one apart? I do and have. They are way strong for the application and finely made. My Golden Boy has 10's of thousands of rounds through it and just gets better all the time. No apparent wear of any sort inside on the casting. The chamber and bolt are steel as are any other parts that need to be.

I've recently had the good fortune to shoot 2 different very expensive and high tech shotguns from world renowned makers. Both had alloy receivers. These were 12 gauge magnums. I think the alloy Henry uses will hold up fine in a 22 for a very long time. Has anyone here had a failure?

I do have 2 older steel classic American 22's that had broken steel parts in them. Done before I got them so I don't know how it happened. Nothing lasts forever if abused. Take care of stuff and it might amaze you.

Henry now makes silver 22's as well. Both plain and engraved. Both are pretty!

OP you have very nice rifles! Congrats.

Last edited by squatchout; 06-11-2016 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-12-2016, 07:59 PM
Old-Duckman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by squatchout View Post
I'll believe the comment on the Henry stocks when someone can show some sort of documentation.

As for the zinc receivers. Has anyone who complains about them actually owned a Henry 22 or taken one apart? I do and have. They are way strong for the application and finely made. My Golden Boy has 10's of thousands of rounds through it and just gets better all the time. No apparent wear of any sort inside on the casting. The chamber and bolt are steel as are any other parts that need to be.

I've recently had the good fortune to shoot 2 different very expensive and high tech shotguns from world renowned makers. Both had alloy receivers. These were 12 gauge magnums. I think the alloy Henry uses will hold up fine in a 22 for a very long time. Has anyone here had a failure?
I agree that the Zamac alloy will most likely be serviceable multi-generationally . However, the expensive shotguns you mentioned most likely have aluminum receivers and those probably billet aluminum . In other words a solid blank of aluminum CNC milled to make the receiver. To compare a billet aluminum receiver to a cast Zamac one is comparing apples to oranges.

There is a reason why the expensive shotguns are expensive and a reason why the zinc Henrys are affordable . Brass and steel framed Henrys command a pretty steep price as well...and rightly so
Old 06-12-2016, 09:03 PM
VietnamVet
US Army Veteran

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unless I find myself in a firefight or another war I'm thinking I probably won't put enough rounds through my Zamac alloy receiver in my Golden boy to wear it out. (:-).

Then again I don't fire my Henry's but a few times a year and usually no more than 200 rounds of .22 WMR at any one time. Way less with the larger caliber Big Boy .44 mag. Though that has a solid brass alloy receiver and the rest is steel.

So far my Golden boy has performed flawlessly and I expect it will continue to. I'd take a fair guess that Henry's engineers have figured out that the zamac alloy receiver is strong enough for normal use of this firearm and if it did fail they would for sure replace the rifle or repair it, no questions asked.

Just my two cents
Old 06-12-2016, 09:20 PM
Squirrelhunter

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
So far my Golden boy has performed flawlessly and I expect it will continue to. I'd take a fair guess that Henry's engineers have figured out that the zamac alloy receiver is strong enough for normal use of this firearm and if it did fail they would for sure replace the rifle or repair it, no questions asked.

Just my two cents

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Duckman View Post
There is a reason why the expensive shotguns are expensive
Yeah, a very high profit margin more often than not; most overpriced gun I ever laid eyes on was a (admittedly nice) Browning Cynergy Sporting...$3k + I know some guns, double shotguns especially, can be costly to make, but there is almost always a large chunk of markup in the deal as well. I agree that the added cost of Henry's steel guns is well worth it for some chamberings & the folks that want that feature...

Kind Regards,

~ SH ~
Old 06-13-2016, 08:16 AM
Old-Duckman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the zinc vs brass, steel....whatever is along the lines of kick start motorcycles vs elec. start, horse vs horseless carriage, walnut stocks vs polymer etc.

I recall similar concerns regarding Ruger's use of investment cast steel components. Or, the Glock "plastic" guns. People accept things that work, plain and simple. Though it may take awhile.

I have my fair share of plastic handguns and I would be willing to bet that nearly all firearms manufacturers use investment cast steel parts.

So it is not so much a matter of functionality or applicability or longevity as it is perception . Henry (and others) are proving that Zamac components are serviceable and reliable. There are just some among us (me being one) who are just not ready to get on that band wagon...at least not yet.
Old 06-13-2016, 09:29 AM
Rick-F
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old-Duckman View Post
Hmmm, not that it makes a difference to me, it doesn't but...The photo on your post looks more like an office than a manufacturing facility. So, I clicked the link in your post. Minelli lists 4 "plants" worldwide, the US location is not shown as a "plant" but is listed as "Minelli USA LLC" the location is "suite D". I doubt that any wood chips fly in the suite.
http://www.minelliusa.com/where.aspx

Just sayin'.
It does not look all that much like an office park from the rear . . .

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1981...7i13312!8i6656
Old 06-17-2017, 07:02 AM
Meroh

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick-F View Post
It does not look all that much like an office park from the rear . . .

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1981...7i13312!8i6656
Looks like a warehouse/distribution center; and they make way more stuff than just gun-stocks.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:46 AM
snagglepuss

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I find the zinc alloy to be a non issue.
I have a Henry with likely 5000 rounds through it, and a GSG1911 (also zinc alloy) with close to 20000 rounds...nary a problem with either.
It's this way with everything we use.
I'd love to replace my Trailblazer with a Mercedes G-Wagon 'cause it's made with heavier grade materials...not going to cross the Sahara in the near future so I don't need to spend the money. Would love a top of the line MacBook Pro, but for the hour or so I spend online a day (about all I use a computer for) my Dell is just fine.
Old 06-19-2017, 10:37 AM
Scoutman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
nothing wrong with Henry wood.

Old 06-19-2017, 03:22 PM
DPris

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Henry's stocks are done in the US.
And after running 28,000 hot & heavy rounds through my GB where only one STEEL spring broke, the alloy construction is not an issue.

The internal Browning receiver is aluminum.
Denis
Old Yesterday, 01:22 PM
DPris

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was hoping for a source on that Italian stock involvement, I'd like to hear where the rumor came from.
Denis
Old Yesterday, 04:51 PM
LeonardS

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I picked up an Uberti silverboy, 22 mag at Sportsmans Warehouse for $399. Thats the same money as the Henry goldenboy, so I thought it was a fair price.