Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-11-2017, 11:58 AM
Press Check

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Backpacker - Return To Zero

If the barrel is not seated in the exact same position in the receiver, I was wondering why a barrel mounted RDS would return to zero any better than if mounted on the receiver. In my mind, it doesn't seem like there'd be any difference.

Has anyone done any RTZ testing with an RDS or magnified optic mounted in both locations?

Thanks!
Old 06-11-2017, 01:43 PM
Nick7274
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
You may have answered your own question. If the barrel is not precisely aligned with the receiver every single time it is installed then a reciever mounted optic would not be properly aligned with the barrel. If the optic is mounted to the barrel then it is always in proper alignment with the barrel regardless of the barrel to reciever alignment.
Old 06-11-2017, 08:56 PM
ncbowhnter

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
I haven't done testing on both but I have played around with the backpacker optic mount. Taking the rifle apart and putting it back together just to check zero. I did it at least 7 times in a row and then fired 1 shot each time at 25 yards. Ended up with a really really small group. So in my opinion it passed.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:06 PM
bluzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
With the OEM stock, if you properly adjust the mechanism that attaches the barrel and receiver per the manual, then I find no reason that an optic mounted to the receiver shouldn't exhibit good return-to-zero characteristics. This is true for my TD now but only AFTER I followed the instructions in the manual. In fact, I'm able the remove my Bug Buster scope (using its QD rings) from the receiver when it's not connected to the barrel, reassemble receiver and barrel, reinstall the scope and still not have to rezero. Just sayin'

Last edited by bluzman; 06-16-2017 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-18-2017, 08:06 PM
M0833937

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Not sure if some guys are just shooting steel plates and they don't notice it or not. Bench resting mine at 40 yards there is definitely a change but it is small. Usually around half an inch. It can go up down left or right but it always changes. That is after letting the bolt go home at least 4 to 5 times before clambering a round. I think I'll stick with a barrel mounted optic since I small game hunt with mine and that's too much of a variation for me. But if your just plinking at steel plates or whatever I see no problem.
Old 06-20-2017, 04:34 PM
bluzman

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by M0833937 View Post
Bench resting mine at 40 yards there is definitely a change but it is small. Usually around half an inch. It can go up down left or right but it always changes. That is after letting the bolt go home at least 4 to 5 times before clambering a round.
I recall seeing someone's comment about variations in POI when bench resting on the fore end and their recommendation to bench rest aft of the receiver/barrel junction.