Cooper 57M Jackson Squirrel - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-16-2017, 05:05 PM
Kansan68
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Cooper 57M Jackson Squirrel

Well, the title says it all. I am considering a Cooper Jackson Squirrel in 22WMR. A coworker has a Cooper in 22LR and he loves it. He informed me there are a lot of accuracy issues with them in 22WMR. A quick search here found a few threads with dissatisfied owners. Is this pretty indicative of this rifle in 22WMR?

I would appreciate any and all input. This is a new rifle and I'm a pretty good customer at the LGS.

Thanks,

Kansan
Old 06-16-2017, 06:29 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (81)
I have a cooper jackson squirrel in 22wmr and it is a great looking and very accurate rifle. A friend of mine was looking to buy one. We both went to the range and shot mine at 100 yards. We both shot 1 group of 3 shots, my group was 2 touching and the third shot left a small space from the 2. His group was a nice 3 shot clover leaf. Nothing but a huge smile. On our trip to south dakota to shoot prairie dogs we stopped at FIRST STOP GUN SHOP and he purchased one. He then purchased many more rimfire and centerfire.
Old 06-16-2017, 06:31 PM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I've not heard anything unfavorable about the Cooper JSR, but have had numerous reports of inconsistent accuracy of the 22WMR round. Many of those problems have been eradicated with improved ammo. That said, I have had acquaintances who have spent lots of money on a "dream" rifle; a Cooper with all the case coloring, expensive wood, etc. and report being disappointed. My observation about that is that their expectations are so high that few rifles can measure-up. Experience teaches you that you take accuracy where you find it; sometimes that presents itself in a cheap rifle. Usually not, but sometimes. I had been thinking about buying a Cooper in 22 Hornet, but couldn't justify the expense. So I bought a Savage Model 25, had to return the first one, but they took it back and built another. Actually they built two moree because the first replacement didn't work so well either, they said. The 3rd one they took it to the ranged and their gunsmith made sure this one worked well. It is now one of my most accurate rifles and cost $600, which is much less than some of my other rifles.

Fellow Kansas

Old 06-16-2017, 06:48 PM
Kansan68

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the input. I know I asked for opinions, but usually only dissatisfied people complain on the internet. Most satisfied people won't say anything at all unless asked, but dissatisfied people will complain and ask questions.

I think I'm going to pull the trigger....I know this LGS will hep me out IF i have to send it back, they will work with me. They put it in the back for me until I decide for sure.....which I pretty much have....

Thanks again,

Kansan

Last edited by Kansan68; 06-18-2017 at 04:47 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:44 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (27)
I've owned two extremely accurate .22 WMRs, a Walter KKJ and a HK 300, but they were not that accurate until I used the various recent plastic-tipped lighter bullet loads. I wouldn't worry about a Cooper if you go new with a warranty. Cooper will stand by its products for the original purchaser. On the other hand, buying one used from a person you trust who indicates good accuracy might be best.
TBR
Old 06-17-2017, 11:13 AM
MacR

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Like others have said, ammo is the limiting factor with a .22 mag. Most people get better groups with the poly tipped stuff.

I don't have a Cooper in .22 mag, but do have a 452 in that caliber. Depending on the day, my CZ is MOA or slightly better. Really likes the 33 grain Rem Premiers.
Old 06-17-2017, 07:40 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Everyone is waiting on the photos of your new Cooper.

Bill
Old 06-18-2017, 08:19 AM
Kansan68

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Aren't you lucky as I've already sent you one, Doc Robin?

I'll see what I can do this afternoon.....

Kansan
Old 06-18-2017, 08:35 AM
Kansan68

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
So, Yes I pulled the trigger on the Cooper JSR 57M. Here is a quick cell phone picture...not the greatest, but all I have

Kansan
Old 06-18-2017, 09:07 AM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (81)
Thanks for sharing, rifle looks very nice you should really enjoy it.
Old 06-18-2017, 11:12 AM
dlong

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unless its the lighting, that gun has a custom fore end. I don't see the usual fore end grip of the jackson squirrel. looks like a custom with jackson squirrel butt and cheek piece.
......Tom Petty
Old 06-18-2017, 01:29 PM
HUSHKABOOM

TPC Rating: 
100% (19)
Lighting playing tricks dlong Some better than average wood thanks for the photo.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:30 PM
mongochicago
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kansan68 View Post
So, Yes I pulled the trigger on the Cooper JSR 57M. Here is a quick cell phone picture...not the greatest, but all I have

Kansan
I am jealous
Old 06-18-2017, 04:44 PM
Kansan68

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlong View Post
Unless its the lighting, that gun has a custom fore end. I don't see the usual fore end grip of the jackson squirrel. looks like a custom with jackson squirrel butt and cheek piece.
It must be the lighting...the fore end looks like every other JRS I can find on the internet.....

Friend of mine at my LGS who sold it to me has it's twin....not an ounce difference between them...

Thanks for the kind words....

Kansan
Old 06-18-2017, 05:20 PM
Wagner

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
+1 on being jealous. Thats a fine looking rifle.