Colt Junior 22 short question - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-15-2017, 08:55 AM
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Colt Junior 22 short question

I recently bought a "Junior." Took it to the range this week and couldn't get it to fire. Found light hits on all the unfired cartridges. I'm guessing the problem is a crud buildup inside the slide. I got exploded drawings of both the Junior and the Astra Cub. Both showed a vertical "extractor pin" that looks like it needs to be removed in order to get to the firing pin retaining pin. I don't have the vertical pin on my slide, just a horizontal one that protrudes slightly from the upper left hand side. Is this the pin that needs to be driven out to disassemble the slide ? Don't want to cause a major problem with the pistol. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 06-17-2017, 11:21 AM
Pete44ru
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
85% (9)

My suggestion is to use the EASY button, and remove the grip panels, magazine & separate the slide from the frame.

Then, give the separated frame, magazine & the assembled slide a long soak (outdoors or in a garage) in the same clean pail of kerosene (available from a Hess gas station and/or Home Cheapo) , occasionally reaching in and swirling them around in the kero.

After the soak-n-swim, just wipe down the exteriors - when the kero dries up inside the nooks & crannies in there, it will leave a thin oily residue the will resist rusting.

The most I've ever had to give a problematic gun was two treatments of the above. (the proof of the pudding is the dissolved gunk/whatever left in the bottom of the kero pail)

In truth, since I'm basically lazy, I give all my handguns that same treatment at the end of each day's firing.

Last edited by Pete44ru; 06-17-2017 at 10:09 PM.
Old 06-17-2017, 03:31 PM
US Navy Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I'll give that a try. I think I found the firing pin retaining pin. There's a small roll pin installed through the bottom of the slide. If the soak doesn't work, looks like a job for the gunsmith as there's no way to drift the pin out. Thanks for the suggestion. I have some Freds Red that may work. That may be Eds Red, I threw away the original container so long ago I can't remember.

Last edited by [email protected]; 06-17-2017 at 04:57 PM.