SR 22 magazine problem - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-19-2017, 10:41 AM
jman49
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2017
Location: 
Selbyville De
Posts: 
1
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
SR 22 magazine problem



Log in to see fewer ads
I am have a problem with the magazine it won't pick up the last round in the magazine. I have 3 mags 2 of them are new but it's doing it with all 3 any suggestions. All the mags are ruger oem.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 01-28-2017, 06:54 AM
idealhobbies

Join Date: 
Jul 2016
Posts: 
1
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hello from Milford, De!

Don't know if this is your issue...but I was having feeding problems with mine right from the box. I have 4 magazines and had jamming with all 4. My issues were more along the lines of first few rounds, but often enough mine would jam at various points. I replaced my guide spring with this one:

https://www.tandemkross.com/TANDEMKR...Rod_p_171.html

and problem was solved. I have not had a single misfeed since. Using whatever cheap .22 ammo I can find. Gotta be at least 800+ rounds fired. My youngest boy loves the gun, so it's used a lot.

Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-31-2017, 09:24 AM
SGW Gunsmith's Avatar
SGW Gunsmith
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2004
Location: 
Northwestern Wisconsin
Posts: 
12,727
TPC Rating: 
100% (14)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jman49 View Post
I am have a problem with the magazine it won't pick up the last round in the magazine. I have 3 mags 2 of them are new but it's doing it with all 3 any suggestions. All the mags are ruger oem.
to RFC and the Ruger SR 22 forum. Galloway Precision sells that exact same recoil spring guide rod. I don't see how that will help your magazines to feed more efficiently though.

I would look for a stronger magazine follower spring.
__________________
Turning Ruger Mark pistols into the way they SHOULD perform .
http://saronagunworks.com (A secure web-site)
Reply With Quote
 
  #4  
Old 02-13-2017, 07:04 PM
donnieboy
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

Join Date: 
Jan 2015
Location: 
Seneca,SC
Posts: 
95
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I suspect SGW is correct especially since you experience the issue with all three of your mags. Typically, last round feed from the magazine, relies on the magazine spring having remaining spring force to shove a that round up to the mag. lips in time for the slide to pick it up and feed it into the chamber. I would try a stronger spring. I notice that my two mags. for my SR22 are not typically Ruger strong like MK pistol magazine springs, although mine have fed 100% but with Mini-Mags.
Most likely unrelated to your issue is the fact that these mags. are double stack like many of the new high cap centerfire pistols but one must pay attention to how the rounds seat when loading the mag. or miss feeds will also occur. I have seen it happen often but I do not think this is your issue.

Last edited by donnieboy; 02-13-2017 at 07:18 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 06-09-2017, 01:49 PM
profsrgary

Join Date: 
May 2017
Location: 
Pennsylvania
Posts: 
67
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow! Just ordered one of the rods listed after reading the above posts. I can't see how it will fix my jamming issues but after going to the website and reading 45 reviews I will give it a try and let you know. I thought there might be too much upward spring pressure in the magazine because mine only jammed with the mag full and on the first or second shot. This gun is actually my wifes ccw so I am only loading 6 rounds in the clip at present. Yea I know, not enough gun, but it is this or nothing and she has arthritis in her hands and even has great difficulty with a .380 acp.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 06-09-2017, 04:24 PM
hgratt

Join Date: 
May 2013
Location: 
Plano, Texas
Posts: 
29
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by profsrgary View Post
Wow! Just ordered one of the rods listed after reading the above posts. I can't see how it will fix my jamming issues but after going to the website and reading 45 reviews I will give it a try and let you know. I thought there might be too much upward spring pressure in the magazine because mine only jammed with the mag full and on the first or second shot. This gun is actually my wifes ccw so I am only loading 6 rounds in the clip at present. Yea I know, not enough gun, but it is this or nothing and she has arthritis in her hands and even has great difficulty with a .380 acp.
What kind of "jam"? Was it a failure to return to battery so that pushing the slide forward finished chambering the round or something else?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 06-09-2017, 05:13 PM
profsrgary

Join Date: 
May 2017
Location: 
Pennsylvania
Posts: 
67
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Actually, most times the round would be pointing up and sticking out of the ejection port. It appeared as though at times that the upper round would catch the round below it and pull it slightly forward. I check and double check as I load the magazine to make sure the lower round is behind the round above it. I happens in all 3 magazines that I have. When I read the reviews about the spring/rod assm several people had similar issues. Even if the rod doesn't correct the problem the fact that the spring is captured is going to make cleaning easier.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-09-2017, 05:30 PM
hgratt

Join Date: 
May 2013
Location: 
Plano, Texas
Posts: 
29
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by profsrgary View Post
Actually, most times the round would be pointing up and sticking out of the ejection port. It appeared as though at times that the upper round would catch the round below it and pull it slightly forward. I check and double check as I load the magazine to make sure the lower round is behind the round above it. I happens in all 3 magazines that I have. When I read the reviews about the spring/rod assm several people had similar issues. Even if the rod doesn't correct the problem the fact that the spring is captured is going to make cleaning easier.
In my case I was starting to have issues after several thousand rounds. Essentially, FTRTB and failure to pick up a new round - this was with quality ammo, CCI Mini-Mags. Two "culprits" I found were extremely dirty, gritty (no cleaning in around 1000 rounds each) magazines. After disassembling and doing a good cleaning (mag body and feed lips), the problems went away for about 300 rounds for each mag.

Last time at the range I had two more instances, 1 FTRTB and 1 failure to pick up the next round. Near the end of the range session I noticed a real issue with my grip. The SR22 is a small pistol, my weak hand thumb was being placed high and was pressing on the slide with a reasonable force from my grip. I had gotten sloppy with my grip techniques. This can cause a real reduction in slide velocity and all the accompanying problems. I will test this out sometime in the next week or so.

Anyway, you might want to consider some of the above. If the problem still continues, send it back to Ruger.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-09-2017, 05:53 PM
profsrgary

Join Date: 
May 2017
Location: 
Pennsylvania
Posts: 
67
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the tip. As I said, this my wife's gun and I really don't know if she is gripping in a way that could be interfering with the slide movement. I'll watch her closely because now that I think of it I don't recall the problem happening while I was shooting it.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-16-2017, 01:25 PM
profsrgary

Join Date: 
May 2017
Location: 
Pennsylvania
Posts: 
67
TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Well first of all thanks for the tips you guys shared. I removed the barrel and polished the feed ramp with a diamond dust eraser and installed a Tandemkross spring and rod assm. Took it to the range and it shot flawlessly. I shot 70 rounds without a hiccup. Also, and this could be my imagination, but it seemed that my groups were actually better. It did seem to feel better in my hand when I shot it. I am new to this forum but I have already received several helpful tips from the members. One thing that may be worth noting is that when I first got the gun I left the slide locked open to make it a little easier to rack for my wife since she is the primary shooter of this gun. I heard this tip somewhere. I can't help to think this may have added to the problem. Thanks again,Gary
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off




All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.

Privacy Policy

DMCA Notice

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimisation provided by DragonByte SEO (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2017 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 2000-2015 RimfireCentral.com
x