Beginning FrankenRuger SBR - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-10-2017, 06:45 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Beginning FrankenRuger SBR

Well I have started on a 2 in 1 project. I have always thought a MK series's design rifle would be interesting and at the same time I've had a craving for a small compact SBR. So I am merging the two ideas together to satisfy my wants. First I started with the Volquartsen 1911 Target frame and added a 6" PacLite barrel. Next I got a Volquartsen Rail System built to be used the Ruger MK series 5 1/2" bull barrels. I had to turn the PacLite barrel down to the same couture as the Ruger receiver/barrel. This leaves only the threaded portion protureding from the rail system. I also had to clear out the bolt stop clearance as using the same mounting holes that were in the rail system for the Ruger locate the rail system a little farther forward than it was intended. Next is to design a single rod 5/16" dia. wire stock for a 11 1/2" LOP so I can accurately fill out the Form 1 for overall length. The stock will follow down the right side of the gun mounting to the forward side of the rail system. I would like to keep the lower rail opened for accessories. Just doing a quick accessment it looks like the overall length of the gun from muzzle to stock will be about 18". Right now as it stands this guns weight is 39 oz. I know this project is not for everyone but it should full fill some niches I've had for a while and should be fun for me and others to shoot at the range.

Last edited by rep1954; 06-14-2017 at 06:52 PM.
Old 06-10-2017, 11:04 PM
JStacy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
If they had a picture of "Frankenruger" in Wikipedia it should be your gun. Man that thing looks great but complicated. Could you have just bought a Volquartsen scorpion for about the same price. Not being critical just a question. You have a lot of high end options on your pistol. How does it shoot. I always thought the VQ barrel sleeves looked cool and had good sights !!
It is going to look way cooler when you get a can for it !!
Old 06-10-2017, 11:55 PM
98_1LE

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
I'm looking forward to this. I considered doing this years ago.

In Europe this is available: http://ouluntyostokeskus.com/en/prod...shoulder-stock

Old 06-11-2017, 01:35 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
JStacy thanks for the compliments. I have three 1911 Target frames that I have adjusted the barrel lugs on to swap six different uppers on so when I made the decision to move forward with the SBR I already had the two major components. I have been shooting the upper and lower using a FFIII and have been very pleased with the combination. As the gun sits in the picture it has not been shot yet I just put everything together Saturday. I went with the rail system as it looked like a simple platform to mount to for the stock and still have the lower rail opened for other options.

98_1LE I seen this stock online and watched the video before. I couldn't find anywhere that it was available in the states. I do want something that's one solid unit that screws and dowels on to the side of the rail.
Old 06-11-2017, 11:56 AM
JStacy

TPC Rating: 
100% (26)
I have a couple of Tac sols and they shoot quite good. Also how does the barrel sleve/rail system attach to the gun ? Just curious. thanks Jim.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:32 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStacy View Post
I have a couple of Tac sols and they shoot quite good. Also how does the barrel sleve/rail system attach to the gun ? Just curious. thanks Jim.
The standard 3 mounting holes that come pre D/T on the receiver are used to join the 2 pieces. These have the same spacing in the PacLite barrel as Ruger has on the 5 1/2" Bull barrel, but Ruger has 6-48 threads compared to the PacLite has 6-40 threads. The barrel is a slip fit into the forward part of the rail system and helps support the two together. This way the 3 mounting screws act more like dowels keeping the barrel from moving side to side or front and back with no real stress on the screws to pull them out. I used blue thread locker on my mounting screws.

Last edited by rep1954; 06-11-2017 at 01:39 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 07:47 AM
alverman
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
This is my FrankenBrowning with shoulder stock...hight precision over 80 yards.

Old 06-16-2017, 08:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by alverman View Post
This is my FrankenBrowning with shoulder stock...hight precision over 80 yards.
Nice set up. Is that the SAK stock or did you manufacture it yourself?
Old 06-16-2017, 08:49 AM
98_1LE

TPC Rating: 
100% (15)
That is cool.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:41 AM
alverman
Law Enforcement Officer

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rep1954 View Post
Nice set up. Is that the SAK stock or did you manufacture it yourself?
Similar SAK stock...hand-built using UTG components for quick release.