Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-08-2017, 04:57 PM
tbates66
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Results in on my new FinnFire II

I have been working to fund this project for awhile, but finally have my Sako FinnFire II in 17HMR. I put a Leupold VX-3i 3.5-10X on it, took 4 boxes of ammo ( Hornady v-Max 17gr, Winchester 17gr poly-tip, Federal 17gr poly-tip, and CCI TNT 17gr jacketed hollow point. This is my second trip to the range. Both times the CCI was the most accurate. I ended up in a show-down between the CCI and Hornady. My buddy (a better shot than I am) also gave it a try. The winner became clear; my new rifle likes the CCI. I and my buddy shot about the same. Took my Anschutz 1517MPR and it is more accurate than the Sako...generally speaking. But, they both shot the CCI well; consistently <.5" at 50. The Annie shoots better at 100 yds, but only slightly. The Sako will be my squirrel rifle this fall. It is much lighter than the Anschutz; hence a better field rifle, which is why I bought it.. I can still tweak the trigger, but will do no other work on it to improve accuracy. It is minute of squirrel eye accurate as it is. Just letting all you Sako fans know.

Tom
Old 06-08-2017, 05:05 PM
timberbeast

TPC Rating: 
100% (23)
The Finns do make a good rifle -- they like to eat things from the forest, and many of those things move about quickly until you shoot them.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:57 AM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (81)
sako

thanks for sharing your experience with your new rifle. I have a sako quad varmint 17hmr ordered in the sako select program and should receive it later this year.

Old 06-11-2017, 10:10 AM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
webfoot56,

Hope you have time to share with us when you get it. I probably won't use my new Sako much until fall when I get serious about squirrel hunting. Although I might take it after prairie dogs some time this summer..

Tom
Old 06-11-2017, 07:10 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (81)
tom---let us know how it does on the prairie dogs and how the 17hmr copes with the wind.
Old 06-20-2017, 12:50 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Copes with the wind ? Pretty poorly. No wind = a Laser
Gusty winds = not so.

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk
Old 06-20-2017, 03:42 PM
tbates66

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I took my Anschutz 1517 MPR instead of the Sako because I didn't have it set up to my satisfaction. The Sako will make the next trip. I found, as you might predict, that the HMR round is susceptible to wind, but not that bad really. I killed about 100-125 dogs with the HMR. I could usually wait for a lull in the breeze and complete the shot. When shooting parallel the bullet tended to rise around the 100 yd mark. On one occasion a pair of dogs stood in line, one slightly higher than the other. I aimed at the front dog and hit the one behind him. I learned to hold low and most of the time that was perfect. But, on occasion I hit dirt in front of the target. Had one day with about zero wind and anther with 15-20 mph gusts. The HMR was ideal on the calm day and the centerfire rifles handled the gusty day. All together we killed 365 dogs.. Near the end of the first day we had killed 65. Then the landowner told us where he had been seeing lots of young incautious dogs. We went there, shot the HMR exclusively, and killed 70 dogs in less than an hour. That is exciting shooting.
Old 06-20-2017, 09:16 PM
webfoot56

TPC Rating: 
100% (81)
That is great when you can get on a dog town that has not been shot at much. The prairie dogs learn quickly what can happen if they stay top side too long. You had the ideal situation for a 17hmr.