Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:59 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
Another interesting variation.

622 manufactured in Houlton, has a 2206 front sight on it. The custom grips are cool too!

https://www.armslist.com/posts/69189...h---wesson-622

I really like those grips. I could see those going on several of my 422's and 622's.
Old 06-16-2017, 08:43 AM
shoot summ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I think the grips are very interesting, I've never seen a set like them.

Wondering if they are a one off, or if they were actually a production grip. They look to be very well done.

Based on the left grip they appear to maybe be for one hand shooting? Looks like there is a "ledge" at the back of that grip.
Old 06-17-2017, 10:47 PM
slidemuzik

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I'd love to know the story on how that happened. Very interesting indeed.

Old 06-18-2017, 10:10 PM
stubbfarmer
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Those are the grips off of a 2206 Target. That is a 2206 with adjustable sites. The 2206 Target has a special millet rear sight and those grip. They have not been available for a long time.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:17 AM
shoot summ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stubbfarmer View Post
Those are the grips off of a 2206 Target. That is a 2206 with adjustable sites. The 2206 Target has a special millet rear sight and those grip. They have not been available for a long time.
Nope, zoom in on the pics, clearly shows it is a 622, and it is clearly a 2206 front sight on it.

Grips are not a set of 2206tgt grips either, seller clearly states they are "carved mytlewood burle".

This is a set of 2206tgt grips...

Cropped images of the grips on that 622:

Several clues the grips are one off/home made, look at the fit, the bump in front of the ejection port, how the grips (don't) really follow the contour of the butt, and front of the mag well, plus they ride very high near the slide,and the screws are not counter sunk well.. Also on the safety side all grips tend to have a small tip that goes back further behind the safety.

In all they are a nice set of grips, but certainly are not a production set.

Last edited by shoot summ; 06-19-2017 at 05:44 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 05:58 AM
Waldo Pepper
US Navy Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
No "special rear sight" was used. All target models had options of grips as did standard models. In other words a standard could be ordered with same options as target model and only difference would have been the lettering on the box.

Pretty typical of stupid stuff S&W would do over the years.

Lot of these guns ended up with special ordered sights from dealers/wholesalers and some were done by in house gunsmiths at large retailers. My owners manual states only two models of 2206 a standard and target model, the V model with lightened slide was still considered a Target model and not a separate model for what ever the reasoning. My S&W "bible" listed two models with several variations such as "V" model with the machined slide. As I said who really knows with S&W as these guns were made during turbulent days in S&W operations and ownerships. So in reality some could have had Millet brand sight, but all were same style and for a while even different rear sight blades were available.

Last edited by Waldo Pepper; 06-19-2017 at 06:19 AM.
Old 06-19-2017, 07:24 AM
shoot summ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waldo Pepper View Post
No "special rear sight" was used. All target models had options of grips as did standard models. In other words a standard could be ordered with same options as target model and only difference would have been the lettering on the box.

Pretty typical of stupid stuff S&W would do over the years.

Lot of these guns ended up with special ordered sights from dealers/wholesalers and some were done by in house gunsmiths at large retailers. My owners manual states only two models of 2206 a standard and target model, the V model with lightened slide was still considered a Target model and not a separate model for what ever the reasoning. My S&W "bible" listed two models with several variations such as "V" model with the machined slide. As I said who really knows with S&W as these guns were made during turbulent days in S&W operations and ownerships. So in reality some could have had Millet brand sight, but all were same style and for a while even different rear sight blades were available.
The 2206TGT did have a different rear sight from the "target" model that had the adjustable leaf sight. It was in fact an adjustable Millett sight that is dovetailed. The 2206 fixed sights are actually different than the 422/622 fixed rear sight. They are similar to the 2213/2214 fixed 2 dot sights.

The VR model had additional milling on the muzzle, not the slide.

This is a 2206TGT, notice the rear sight, and actually has a different front sight. Also note the different milling on the muzzle, it is D+T for a rail, and it is polished on the flats.

Old 06-19-2017, 08:32 AM
Waldo Pepper
US Navy Disabled American Veteran Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shoot summ View Post
The 2206TGT did have a different rear sight from the "target" model that had the adjustable leaf sight. It was in fact an adjustable Millett sight that is dovetailed. The 2206 fixed sights are actually different than the 422/622 fixed rear sight. They are similar to the 2213/2214 fixed 2 dot sights.

The VR model had additional milling on the muzzle, not the slide.

This is a 2206TGT, notice the rear sight, and actually has a different front sight. Also note the different milling on the muzzle, it is D+T for a rail, and it is polished on the flats.

Muzzle okay, been long time since I've seen one.

You missed one thing and that was S&W considered all target variations of 2206 as one model for some stupid reason, and what S&W told me 10 years or more ago was that TGT was a wholesaler special as was the VR, don't remember who the wholesaler's were however.

Now the gentleman could have give me some bad info, however it does sound very much S&W as for changes and options. Ruger has gotten into distributers specials big time in the last few years, especially with the 10/22 which must be the most modified rimfire from both aftermarket and mfg and only real model difference is barrel and stock size. With S&W their 422 was all variations of it from barrel length to sights and they did same with their revolvers like the 686 for instance and then some were given special names with or w/o model number.

So we are really haggling over nothing really, just nit picking one of the best 22 auto pistols ever built by S&W only exceeded by model 41 & and cheaper 46. So lets just shoot and enjoy the poor man's model 41, I'm headed to front porch with my suppressed 2206 Target. I shoot 30 yards sitting is swing on front porch.

Last edited by Waldo Pepper; 06-21-2017 at 06:07 AM. Reason: TYPO 442 was suppose to be 422 and I corrected it.
Old 06-20-2017, 06:31 PM
PGT

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
hitting "moving targets" by swinging and shooting at fixed steel =
Old 06-21-2017, 06:15 AM
Waldo Pepper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Just bought a 8" steel square target at Cabela's Saturday for $29.95+ tax, it will be mainly used with 22lr but rated for 2,500fps.
Old 06-21-2017, 08:30 AM
jon p
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thumbs up S&W history

this series of pistols is unique. I really love my 6" 622 with base sights, light, accurate and kinda odd looking. LOL it is a dream to shoot, haven't found any HV ammo it doesn't like. I located a rare set of the Pachmayr wrap around rubber grips, fantastic! I have the black plastic grips and the optional wood factory grips. I tried the grip type optics mount, didn't work for me at all, ugly AND ruined the looks/handling of this trim light pistol. it is used now with iron sights only.
Old 06-21-2017, 10:16 AM
Waldo Pepper

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Unique is right and my 2206 is my go to 22 pistol. Screw on the suppressor and have a blast shooting sitting in porch swing blasting away. The hummingbirds have even go used to the slapping of the action while at the feeder 5' from me.