Rimfire Central Firearm Forum banner

Squirrel Hunters! The Tree Kind!

4M views 54K replies 805 participants last post by  mattysams 
#1 ·
This thread is for "Rabid Squirrel Hunters"......no matter what kind of rimfire you shoot!!!!

firstshot
---------------------------------------
Make your first shot count!

#61 ·
Great idea on the fish fry Squacks. Gunjunkie will make the corn bread, Ty will fry the potatoes, CJ will cook some corn on the cob after Danurve shucks it, Capt Ken will step in at each station to have his picture taken as if he is doing the cooking, Rustynuts, Sweetman, Bowdog, Firstshot and Mike will clean up and wash the dishes. RN Shutz will have to stand by to put a bandaid on anyone who cuts their finger or gets burned by hot grease. I will sit in a chair, drink beer and bark out various assorted orders. Don't bother trying to get Tarheel to do anything, he's old and will probably be in bed by the time the fish fry starts.

#63 ·
Squacks,
If you feel like you want to cook breakfast just start it at about 4am. We can eat then leave to go squirrel hunting. The late risers can have cold flap jacks. Say, didn't Tarheel say something about what a good breadfast he could cook?

#65 ·
:) Squirrel season is still in at LBL, but squirrel hunting weather has been out for quite a while. Looks like tomorrow's rain won't start until late afternoon, so I'm making plans to be in the woods when daylight starts to seep in. I have eaten so many this year that I haven't put any in the freezer. Now I'm fresh out and hungry!

#66 ·
GJ,
Don't forget that I will need someone to sit by me and hold my chair so I don't fall over. Well, never mind, you'd probably fall over and take me with you. Glad I wasn't close to you in the tent when you took that nose dive. I guess you'll just have to be the official food taster.

Cliff,
You haven't noticed that you're having a hankerin for hickory nuts or acorns have you?

#69 ·
SARGE said:
Great idea on the fish fry Squacks. Gunjunkie will make the corn bread, Ty will fry the potatoes, CJ will cook some corn on the cob after Danurve shucks it, Capt Ken will step in at each station to have his picture taken as if he is doing the cooking, Rustynuts, Sweetman, Bowdog, Firstshot and Mike will clean up and wash the dishes. RN Shutz will have to stand by to put a bandaid on anyone who cuts their finger or gets burned by hot grease. I will sit in a chair, drink beer and bark out various assorted orders. Don't bother trying to get Tarheel to do anything, he's old and will probably be in bed by the time the fish fry starts.
LOL--Sounds like a winner Sarge:t

#71 ·
This is shaping up real nice.....I get to see Sarge fall down!! Maybe I can practice bone splinting bein a bit rusty and all!!! Heck maybe I can bribe Squacks out of some of those special flapjacks....a fish fry, AND a squirrel barbeque??? I'm dyin just thinkin about it all.

I'll bring my special possum and cabbage recipe and fixin's.

Be warned though....I'm givin serious consideration to winning the iron sight contest......My eyesight is so good I can see a barn at 50 feet! Better start practicing right now if you want to beat an Eagle Eye like that!;)

#72 ·
A Challenge???

Your on RNSHUTZ:D --- I'm practicin' as much as I can -- whenever I can--I even got me a coach for those 'ole buckhorn sights on that BL-22 of mine-- I'm gonna hold off scopin' it now--till after Shawnee--LOL--Just for you and Sarge;)

Squacks --I'm so ready for that fish fry and squirrel meal I can't hardly stand it. Now your talkin' flap-jacks????---I'm Shawnee home-sick--are ya sure we hafta wait'll September?:D

I think I'm Hungry too--LOL:rolleyes:

#73 ·
lost in the RFC woods

OK, I am SO lost.

I posted a hello to all last night in thread that I thought was the Shawnee thread. but this one is about Shawnee. I think. but it's called "the tree kind" but it's in "hunting"...

I got to say, I like the way Sarge has the work devided. I think I will be able to carry out my function as well as anyone could.

Welllll, a big hello to all -gbb

#75 ·
:confused: I'm a lil' cornfused too--but that's normal for me--;) :D

Hey Folks--Jay bought his first Turkey License ever--he will have his chance at a turkey in May---he is really excited about it--I hope he gets one. We saw 7 fly across the road on our way to Port Huron yesterday--that's kinda scarey really--I sure wouldn't want one of those big gobblers hitting my windsheild--Dad knows a guy that had his arm resting out of the window while driving down the road and a turkey flew up and hit him--breaking his arm, he was lucky, I guess there's been a few worse than that. :(

I believe Dad has a license for the May hunt too--anyway--I hope they both get one.:)

PSSSSSSSSSSsssssssssssssssssst---Friday February 13th is Dads B-day--65 yrs young:t

Had to edit--LOL--I forgot to turn my calender--thought tomorrow was 13th :D

Then Happy Heart Day to you ALL the day after:D

#76 ·
GBB, Taff and all other shawnee hunters. Remember there has to be some one to be the gophers. Some one has to bring me beer and I have to have some gophers to bark out orders to, and Squacks will need a couple of gophers to fetch various assorted things for him. I guess one of you will have to make the corn bread since GJ doesn't know how and has elected instead to hold my chair so I don't fall down. BTW Taff there will be canned carp there and I imagine that Squacks will keep a close eye on the port. When it's all done we can all sit down and eat, then start the music.

#78 ·
Sarge.I'll keep your chair propped.Got some bungee cords that should do the trick.When I cook outside,I tend to create a lot of dark,dense smoke. When I think it.s bedtime allI go to do is take off my boots and watch everybody scatter.Sure would like to see GJ fall down again.Trucky{Tarheel}

#80 ·
:) OK, I did it. Woke up at 4:30 yesterday morning, got up and cracked the blinds to check the weather. No rain, no snow, no sleet for the first time in so long I can't remember. Went out on the back porch and checked the thermometer at 36 degrees, and the wind was dead calm. Looking good! Warmest it has been in a couple of weeks so I won't need the extra set of long johns under my polypro long johns today.
Jumped in the car and headed for LBL and all the GBTs. Had to go through C'ksville and before I got to the north end of Riverside Dr all the US flags along the street recognized me. They were real friendly and I guess they were glad to see me because they all stood up and started waving. Thirty miles later leaves started darting across the road in front of me and the headlights were picking up snow flakes. But, by that time I was committed (or maybe should have been) so I just gritted my teeth and kept going. Twenty miles later I parked the car and got out while it was still so dark I had to fumble with my jacket zipper.
Made my way into the woods and finally found a likely place to sit under a tree. Thank goodness I had my foam cushion looped to my belt. Kept my butt from freezing to the ice under the trees.
Light started seeping out of a heavy overcast and when the trees saw me they all started waving, too. I was sure getting a friendly welcome everywhere this morning.
I was on a ridge that really looked "squirrelly" and I could hear the leaves start to rattle out to my front. My heart picked up its pace as the sound got closer. Then I saw what it was! It was sleet, and it was coming down good.
Now here I was sitting in the woods at the break of day, 50 miles from home in a 15-20 mph wind with the sleet starting to cover the ground real fast. A falling thermometer was making me wish I had worn that extra set of acryllac long johns, and maybe some other stuff, too, if I could get it all on.
I gotta tell you, just for a minute there my squirrel hunting dedication might have been on the brink of faltering just a little. I was thinking about how far I would like to drive in an ice storm. The answer wasn't 50 miles.
But, I "endeavored to persevere" and finally eased my way 1/2 mile farther up the ridge to the north and over to the side that was a little more sheltered from the west wind. By then the sleet had stopped.
That was when nature decided it could get a better shot at me if it shifted the wind to the north, so that's exactly what it did. It turned out that that was an accurate estimate of the situation and the tactic worked. Now the north wind was blowing snow snakes right up my back side.
Nevertheless, I could see squirrell nests and den trees all around and I was sure that I would start seeing forraging squirrels any minute now. Afterall, they have to eat sometime, don't they? That thought and a cold ham sandwich and Snickers bar warmed me enough to stick with it.
Three hours later the wind had died down, but my resolution and that ham sandwich were starting to wear a little thin, and still no sign of any type of squirrel activity. Stupid squirrels!
I continued to walk a little, sit a little, and look a lot while I scouted new territory. An hour later I made it back to the truck without seeing any fur bearing critter of any kind, and it looks like I'll be relegated to eating (ggaaahhh) chicken this week.
Moral of the story: squirrels sure are stupid.
P.S. I'm almost thawed out now.
Stupid squirrels.