Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 01-07-2017, 12:09 AM
Lucky44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
PWS Raptor Stock - which barrel?

I decided to try my first build and ordered a PWS Raptor Stock to start with. What length barrel balances best in this stock and what barrel have any of you have used that you like? It seems that every time I look at parts I find a hundred new things to think about. I have been thinking about a KSA 18 or 16" tri-flute .920 BULL BARREL as I like the look and have heard good things about KSA. Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 01-07-2017, 06:21 AM
CardPuncher
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (6)
This isn't going to help you very much. but on my red Raptor I've had a stainless 22" tapered barrel, factory 18" blue tapered and currently a Feddersen 16" tapered to which I sometimes add a can. I don't have a light bull barrel and think a solid one is too heavy. I've been happy with the look and balance of all of them but I shoot silhouette matches and for me shooting offhand, shorter is better. Esthetically, 16" looks a little stubby but it's OK and with the can it's about right.

It's an excellent stock for shooting offhand but not as good with iron sights because of the cheek riser - don't waste your time considering iron sights.
Old 01-07-2017, 07:37 AM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

I'm using older 16" Volquartsen carbon wrapped THM's on these two, and to me they balance really well, both physically and visually

I have both a Voodoo Blue and an Autumn Blaze Raptor waiting in the closet for their turn. They will both end up with KIDD Ultra Lightweights, which are almost as light but not quite as light as the THM's (which I think will be fine)..... I just need to save a few $ over the Volquartsen's this time, and the KIDD is $100 cheaper per barrel.

Old 01-07-2017, 09:51 AM
Lucky44

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the replies. Great looking guns also. Guess I will start looking at scopes and decide how much weight I want to have in a barrel. Lighter is looking better and better.
Old 01-08-2017, 08:14 AM
Nomack
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (9)
I put one together using a 20 GM bull, and for me it just wasn't right. Way too top heavy. I now have that receiver/barrel in a target stock, and will use the Raptor for a different setup, almost certainly using a 16 inch barrel. Lousy pic but fwiw...

Old 01-10-2017, 10:49 PM
nodak
National Guard Veteran

TPC Rating: 
100% (38)
Check out the special closeout on Volquartzen muzzle weighted barrels. For 150 you won't find a better deal right now. Oh and they shoot like crazy. Just check the reviews. Good luck and keep shooting.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:42 AM
ThaDoubleJ
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Send a message via AIM to ThaDoubleJ
There's a pretty sweet fluted GM in the classifieds also.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:11 PM
Stanley82

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was in the same situation and ended up getting a Kidd ULW for the better balance (as recommended by crackedcornish) and to keep the build light for offhand shooting and for my kids to shoot as well.
Old 01-11-2017, 03:53 PM
Tyendor
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaDoubleJ View Post
There's a pretty sweet fluted GM in the classifieds also.