2500 X owners. - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old Yesterday, 01:17 PM
Dennis D
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Excuse my ignorance but....

Why should the firing pin ever contact the barrel at all????
None of my rimfires have a firing pin that protrudes far enough to contact the barrel when in the fired position. They all have aprox. .038 or so protrusion so with a head space of .043 there should be no problems with cone or slotted barrels.

Dennis
Old Yesterday, 05:30 PM
Highdollar

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post
None of my rimfires have a firing pin that protrudes far enough to contact the barrel when in the fired position. They all have aprox. .038 or so protrusion so with a head space of .043 there should be no problems with cone or slotted barrels.

Dennis
That is what I was thinking Dennis. Just was not sure. I will do some measuring
Old Yesterday, 06:37 PM
bob finger

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
DennisD said in part "None of my rimfires have a firing pin that protrudes far enough to contact the barrel when in the fired position. They all have aprox. .038 or so protrusion so with a head space of .043 there should be no problems with cone or slotted barrels."

You do realize that in the fired position many pins are at rest and not extended to the point of hitting a case. If that were the case how would you ever rotate the bolt to extract a case? You need to measure how much the pin extends beyond the bolt face at the point of ignition, not after. Me, I ain't smart enough to tell you how to make that measurement. bob

Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM
92lowrider
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (28)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis D View Post

Dennis
With a cone breach and nothing in the chamber the bolt is not held back against the locking lugs. This allows the cone to enter the recess in the bolt face and even if you only have .038 of pin protrusion it will hit the edge of the cone. Headspace and pin protrusion measurments only apply if the bolt itself can't move forward as in when there is a round chambered or a flat breach that stops the bolt.
I am not in any way bad mouthing cone breaches they have their pluses, this is just their minus attribute.
Old Yesterday, 08:18 PM
Highdollar

TPC Rating: 
100% (7)
My pin looks like it measures 35 thousands. It may hit but I can't find a mark on the cone. And that don't mean it has not hit it but it is tight on the bottom side. Ole well no biggy but I guess it makes for good discussion
Old Today, 12:14 PM
Dennis D
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Well all I can say is none of my bolt guns have rebounding firing pins so at rest they all sit against the firing pin stop which puts the pin at it's fully fired position. That's the case for my Falcon, Blackhawk, ULA's, Coopers, Tbolts and CZ and Anschutz. Additionally none of the pins extend past the bolt face so even if there were enough room for the bolt to move forward the pin still won't hit the barrel.
Course all of them are left handed so maybe this is only a problem for you right handed folks.....

I can see where this could be a problem for a cone breach if there is so much play as to allow the bolt to move to far forward though.

Dennis

PS, the reason they extract is that the first part of the bolt rotation retracts the firing pin before the extractor cam is contacted.

Last edited by Dennis D; Today at 12:25 PM.