Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 02-08-2017, 09:46 PM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hogue Nylon Overmold issue

Just got my overmold in the mail.

The screw hole does not align with the receiver screw hole. No gaps, everything is snug. The hole in the stock is simply a mm or two too far aft. Pushing down hard on the barrel gets it a little closer but at best it will start to cross thread so gave up on that.

Best bet would seem to be to use a drill to elongate the hole in the stock a bit so it will engage the receiver hole properly. Before I do that... what am it forgetting or missing?

These things are supposed to be drop in no muss no fuss replacement stocks so I figure I must be screwing something up.

Thanks
Old 02-09-2017, 12:01 AM
smith627
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Are you using a Ruger factory receiver or aftermarket? I have a Hogue .92 OM "rubber" stock that aligned perfectly with my Ruger receiver but not with my aftermarket NoDak Spud receiver. It was off a very very small amount on the screw alignment. To make it right, I drilled out the stock screw hole just a tiny bit and now the screw goes straight into the new receiver. It's also nice that the barrel is free floated in the Hogue stock.
Hope you get it to work out.

Last edited by smith627; 02-09-2017 at 12:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 12:07 AM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thanks for the reply.

Yeah its a factory Ruger receiver. Only changes are addition of BX trigger and a GM bull barrel.

Receiver is from 1980, so maybe this is some weird confluence of old and new parts not agreeing with each other precisely.

Old 02-09-2017, 12:08 AM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith627 View Post
Are you using a Ruger factory receiver or aftermarket? I have a Hogue .92 OM "rubber" stock that aligned perfectly with my Ruger receiver but not with my aftermarket NoDak Spud receiver. It was off a very very small amount on the screw alignment. To make it right, I drilled out the stock screw hole just a tiny bit and now the screw goes straight into the new receiver. It's also nice that the barrel is free floated in the Hogue stock.
Hope you get it to work out.

Hummmm ??.
My overmolded stock worked perfectly.
With both the factory receiver.
And two no daks.....????
Old 02-09-2017, 12:14 AM
smith627

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
Hummmm ??.
My overmolded stock worked perfectly.
With both the factory receiver.
And two no daks.....????
Dang, you're having better luck than me with the NoDak receivers with the 10 round magazine issue and the stock. Harlan and Mike must like you better and Mike even called me about them not putting the little "ramp/groove" on front of receiver where mag is inserted. Other aftermarket receiver makers do put that little magazine load ramp on theirs so I don't know why NoDak doesn't. My tinkering got it working right now.

Last edited by smith627; 02-09-2017 at 12:21 AM.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:28 AM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smith627 View Post
Dang, you're having better luck than me with the NoDak receivers with the 10 round magazine issue and the stock. Harlan and Mike must like you better and Mike even called me about them not putting the little "ramp/groove" on front of receiver where mag is inserted. Other aftermarket receiver makers do put that little magazine load ramp on theirs so I don't know why NoDak doesn't. My tinkering got it working right now.

I will have to check out this ?
Ramp groove in a No Dak ..
Or lack of...?
Old 02-09-2017, 09:12 AM
rawhp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsled View Post
Pushing down hard on the barrel gets it a little closer but at best it will start to cross thread so gave up on that.
This sounds odd. How tight are your v-block screws? Maybe your barrel is canted downward? You could try removing the v-block, and possibly the barrel, and see if things line up.
Old 02-09-2017, 09:47 AM
OleFreak

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
You likely only need to fit the stock to your receiver, making a hair more room for the lower front portion hanging down and wrapping across in front of the magazine to fully seat in the inletting and then have it stay there without the stock squirting it right back at ya as soon as you let loose of the barrel. Been there, done it.
Old 02-09-2017, 10:00 AM
smith627

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
I will have to check out this ?
Ramp groove in a No Dak ..
Or lack of...?
Lack of. Ruger and other receivers have this to make it easy to install 10 round magazine.
Old 02-09-2017, 11:49 AM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OleFreak View Post
You likely only need to fit the stock to your receiver, making a hair more room for the lower front portion hanging down and wrapping across in front of the magazine to fully seat in the inletting and then have it stay there without the stock squirting it right back at ya as soon as you let loose of the barrel. Been there, done it.
I'll look into this but not sure I think it is the problem. If that area were too tight and not fitting well, the likely outcome would seem to be pushing the receiver further BACK into the stock, which would tend to cure the screw alignment issue.

If anything it seems like the area back where the receiver hit the stock would need to be relieved a bit, thus allowing the receiver to slide further back into the stock, lining up the screw holes.

In other words, the issue you outline would seem to push the screw hole in the stock too far forward, which is the opposite of my problem.

But like I said thanks for the suggestion!
Old 02-09-2017, 11:51 AM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhp View Post
This sounds odd. How tight are your v-block screws? Maybe your barrel is canted downward? You could try removing the v-block, and possibly the barrel, and see if things line up.
Ugh hope not... had to heat receiver and freeze barrel to get them to fit together.

Barrel is free floated in the stock (ran a paper under it last night), FYI, so thinking its probably not barrel droop....

Will check it out. Thanks!
Old 02-09-2017, 03:29 PM
rawhp

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nedsled View Post
Ugh hope not... had to heat receiver and freeze barrel to get them to fit together.

Barrel is free floated in the stock (ran a paper under it last night), FYI, so thinking its probably not barrel droop....

Will check it out. Thanks!
I'd install the action with the trigger group removed, so it's easier to see from below if the receiver is fully seating or where it might be hung up. I wouldn't change the takedown screw hole, but look for where you can relieve the stock to gain alignment instead.
Old 02-09-2017, 06:12 PM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rawhp View Post
I'd install the action with the trigger group removed, so it's easier to see from below if the receiver is fully seating or where it might be hung up. I wouldn't change the takedown screw hole, but look for where you can relieve the stock to gain alignment instead.
Thanks! I had thought about this in the AM as in interim step between yanking off the barrel.

Wondering if this might not be the issue actually. Like many I have the "rattly BX trigger" issue, so I shimmed the crap out of it with aluminum tape so it would not move in the receiver anymore. Perhaps I shimmed it too well and there is some interference there and its actually the trigger group messing things up.

Or as you say at least it might help me see if there is interference with the receiver itself.

Thanks again
Old 02-10-2017, 05:44 PM
Nedsled

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quick update for anyone who cares.

Spent a lot of time with it last night. I decided that dremeling up the inletting in an effort to align the screw holes was beyond my comfort level so I elongated the screw hole a bit, and then reworked the molded in escutcheon a bit. The whole thing rocks a bit so I plan on:
1) Using aluminum tape on the receiver to lock it down more
2) JBWeld Bedding the area where the vblock sits since that is not making perfect contact
3) Not sure if this has been tried ever - using expanding foam to create a pad for about the first inch in front of the vblock within the stock (a lot of empty space there not present in a wood stock). I've used expanding foam for a lot of non-std uses so I am pretty familiar with how aggressively it expands and that it is a ***** to clean up so careful taping and so on will be the order of the day.
Old 02-10-2017, 06:50 PM
Gmww
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That's some nasty stuff to try and control. Might consider an epoxy filler.