That looks beautiful. Great choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-15-2017, 10:13 PM
mac1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
How did the ordering process go.
I tried emailing boyds with no luck.
Few phone calls felt like I was running in circles. I'm looking for a nice stock for prone and some bench.

Old 01-16-2017, 09:31 AM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
I like boyds..
But like almost all of them I've seen..
The wood is too proud.
Action always sits too deep. Or too high.
Old 01-16-2017, 12:33 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac1911 View Post
How did the ordering process go.
I tried emailing boyds with no luck.
Few phone calls felt like I was running in circles. I'm looking for a nice stock for prone and some bench.
That's odd, I found them to be very good with communication. I emailed them some questions, got good answers. In fact I felt like I was a bit of a pest, I emailed back and forth with them so much (the website was a little confusing to me, but it was easy once explained). I then just placed the order online. No problems at all, in fact communication was a strong point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckweet View Post
I like boyds..
But like almost all of them I've seen..
The wood is too proud.
Action always sits too deep. Or too high.
I've had that with some other stocks, but this one seems just right to me. Action stands just proud of the wood at the back. Looks right to me.
Old 01-17-2017, 10:51 AM
mac1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomack View Post
That's odd, I found them to be very good with communication. I emailed them some questions, got good answers. In fact I felt like I was a bit of a pest, I emailed back and forth with them so much (the website was a little confusing to me, but it was easy once explained). I then just placed the order online. No problems at all, in fact communication was a strong point.

I've had that with some other stocks, but this one seems just right to me. Action stands just proud of the wood at the back. Looks right to me.
thank you, The varmint stock is very close to the look im going for.

this is my plan for my 10/22 build something like this retro 22lr match rifles of the 40s and 50s
Old 01-17-2017, 11:07 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
thank you, The varmint stock is very close to the look im going for.

this is my plan for my 10/22 build something like this retro 22lr match rifles of the 40s and 50s

Nice looking gun there - looks more like a sporter to me, but I like that look. I have a sporterized 1903 with a similar look. I do think the Varmint stock has the look of a classic match rifle, which is what I had in mind, as well. The 1903:

Old 01-17-2017, 11:49 AM
mac1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Nice looking gun there - looks more like a sporter to me, but I like that look. I have a sporterized 1903 with a similar look. I do think the Varmint stock has the look of a classic match rifle, which is what I had in mind, as well. The 1903:

I poked around on boyds web site and for the life of me could not find any way to order a walnut stock? Maybe I will go the laminated look to give it a somewhat "new age" look.

I need to thin out the side mount a bit more but im on my way to getting it decked out.
A nice heavy barrel would be nice.... where did you get yours and was it drop in ready ?
(This Image is Too Large to Be Displayed Within the Post. Click Link to View) (870 kB)
Old 01-17-2017, 12:18 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Their website is a bit confusing. They'd probably get more orders if it was done better.

If you use the upper left box to select Ruger, 10/22, whatever barrel you want, then Pro Varmint, and leave "Finish' un-selected, click go, you should see an option to customize your own stock. Click that, and you will see a list of finish options. Walnut is on the list.

I got my barrel for this build from a guy here on RFC, in the Trading Post. It's a Numrich 24", heavy beast but very nice. I have a couple of other .920 barrels, from Green Mountain. All have been easy to install (with the exception of one older action where I had to put the **** thing in the freezer overnight, but even that was easy enough). The gun installed in the Boyd's stock easily (my experience with all of the stocks I have, except for a Victor Titan, which was not easy to install but is nice).

Last edited by Nomack; 01-17-2017 at 12:21 PM.
Old 01-17-2017, 02:49 PM
mac1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Their website is a bit confusing. They'd probably get more orders if it was done better.

If you use the upper left box to select Ruger, 10/22, whatever barrel you want, then Pro Varmint, and leave "Finish' un-selected, click go, you should see an option to customize your own stock. Click that, and you will see a list of finish options. Walnut is on the list.

I got my barrel for this build from a guy here on RFC, in the Trading Post. It's a Numrich 24", heavy beast but very nice. I have a couple of other .920 barrels, from Green Mountain. All have been easy to install (with the exception of one older action where I had to put the **** thing in the freezer overnight, but even that was easy enough). The gun installed in the Boyd's stock easily (my experience with all of the stocks I have, except for a Victor Titan, which was not easy to install but is nice).
boyds has been hit or miss with me. I dont mind so much if they come through a bit meaty,tight,proud or what have you. I rather need to shave and file to get it to fit than loose.
Old 01-17-2017, 06:01 PM
mac1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Question on boyds

Is there a difference between the tacticool stock and the pro varmint or is just a name change?
Old 01-18-2017, 10:06 PM
maztech89

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Is there a difference between the tacticool stock and the pro varmint or is just a name change?
Just a name change
Old 01-25-2017, 06:24 AM
mac1911

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Couple of pics, assembled.

How's the grip to trigger length it looks a little long in the pics.
I have short fingers and the area is always a problem with me.
Old 01-25-2017, 07:14 AM
Rider357
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice, I was on their website last night looking at their walnut stocks for a different project. Walnut replacement stocks for most rifles can be rather expensive but Boyd's seem affordable. Yours has decent figure for the standard grade.
Old 01-25-2017, 08:44 AM

TPC Rating: 
100% (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rider357 View Post
Nice, I was on their website last night looking at their walnut stocks for a different project. Walnut replacement stocks for most rifles can be rather expensive but Boyd's seem affordable. Yours has decent figure for the standard grade.
Thanks. I actually prefer a basic wood for a rifle stock. Also less chance of issues arising with the wood over the years.

Quote:
How's the grip to trigger length it looks a little long in the pics.
I have short fingers and the area is always a problem with me.
It's fine for me, and I have small hands, too. I'll try to snap a couple of pics tonight and post.