Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 12-14-2016, 12:29 PM
Nomack
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Boyd's Pro Varmint in Walnut

Had to custom order this from Boyd's. Arrived today. I have to say, I really like it. I have a nice 24" .920 barrel and a BX trigger group with some Kidd parts to put in it, and a Nikon scope for it. I think I'll put the stock under the tree, Santa never brings me anything....

Old 12-14-2016, 12:55 PM
STOMP442
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Send a message via MSN to STOMP442
Wow that looks really nice. I have been thinking of getting one made just like that myself.
Old 12-14-2016, 01:31 PM
PJD642
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
Well **** that is sharp! I just agreed to buy a used Tacticool, now I'm regretting it LOL.

Please post a few more pictures of it, with & without innards.

Old 12-15-2016, 09:42 PM
Mrseafoo

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wow, I like it.
Old 12-15-2016, 10:13 PM
buckweet
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Walnut...
Wow.
I like that alot.
Old 12-16-2016, 07:17 AM
Nomack

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thanks, guys. Took about 3-4 weeks, custom order. Well worth the wait. At one point I got an email from them saying that they had made it, but it didn't meet their quality standards, so they were going to make another one. I like that.

As noted, Santa will put the stock under the tree for Christmas Day. My son and I will be building out a couple of 10/22's over the holiday break, I'll post some pics of this when all done.

n
Old 12-16-2016, 07:44 AM
Tsb3
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (2)
Thumbs up Very nice...

I agree with everyone else. Very nice looking stock! Can't wait to see more pictures.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:27 PM
Grandfather

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I was also looking at the walnut stock. Is that the lowest grade or one of the better grades Boyds offers. Thanks for your info....
Old 12-16-2016, 05:36 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grandfather View Post
I was also looking at the walnut stock. Is that the lowest grade or one of the better grades Boyds offers. Thanks for your info....
The OP's pictures show nothing more than it is brown. I am also curious. I didn't know Boyd's offered a grade choice.
Old 12-16-2016, 05:48 PM
azguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
The OP's pictures show nothing more than it is brown. I am also curious. I didn't know Boyd's offered a grade choice.
They don't for the Ruger 10/22 ProVarmint. The walnut is considered standard grade. Meaning you will have variation between the amount of figure in each stock, but there won't be much figure in any of the standard grade stocks. You might get them to go up in grade with a phone call, but that would be surprising. I do like the walnut though. I have carved several of these, in much better woods, as I like the stock shape.

However, they do offer the better grades, for the more "High End" actions, such as a Sako.

Last edited by azguy; 12-16-2016 at 05:50 PM.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:00 PM
Nomack

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Right, the solid walnut option is only a $35 upgrade (in satin) for this stock. The wood is not highly figured or anything, and I imagine a fair amount of staining was done to get the color uniform. Personally, I'm not a fan of "fancy" wood stocks. I tend to prefer a basic, traditional type wood and finish. There are a lot of options out there, I specifically ordered this to make a "basic" looking rifle. I actually like the wood stocks that come with the 10/22, I just wanted a different shape.
Old 12-16-2016, 06:43 PM
GH41

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by azguy View Post
They don't for the Ruger 10/22 ProVarmint. The walnut is considered standard grade. Meaning you will have variation between the amount of figure in each stock, but there won't be much figure in any of the standard grade stocks. You might get them to go up in grade with a phone call, but that would be surprising. I do like the walnut though. I have carved several of these, in much better woods, as I like the stock shape.

However, they do offer the better grades, for the more "High End" actions, such as a Sako.
Did you ever get the chance to skin down the slab I sent you to see if there was anything to it?
Old 12-16-2016, 07:02 PM
azguy
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (18)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GH41 View Post
Did you ever get the chance to skin down the slab I sent you to see if there was anything to it?
Not yet. Little backed up trying to get a couple stocks shipped before XMAS. However, I may get a chance this weekend. Thanks again
Old 12-21-2016, 12:26 PM
BuckPasser

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomack View Post
Had to custom order this from Boyd's. Arrived today. I have to say, I really like it. I have a nice 24" .920 barrel and a BX trigger group with some Kidd parts to put in it, and a Nikon scope for it. I think I'll put the stock under the tree, Santa never brings me anything....

How much did it cost, if I might ask?

I'm in the market for a stock and that seems like a great option.
Old 12-21-2016, 05:08 PM
Nomack

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuckPasser View Post
How much did it cost, if I might ask?

I'm in the market for a stock and that seems like a great option.

Base price $129 plus $35 upgrade for finished walnut, plus something for shipping, I can't recall.