Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:05 PM
bTanZ
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

any report on accuracy vs. what you were running prior??

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1050 View Post
Old 09-03-2015, 01:12 PM
Rezolution

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Before/After accuracy for my 10/22

Hi Guys,

I've been reading posts here for a few years but this will be my first post.
I put this stock on about a week ago and wanted to share my results with it.

The photo below is a cropped picture of my 50 yard target
from June of this year with the factory 10/22 black synthetic
stock with the laser-max barrel band removed:

from September of this year with the new Magpul Hunter
X-22 stock:

It looks to me like it's made my grouping slightly worse than it was before.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:41 PM
bTanZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
assume same ammo, wind, bench, etc....?? only variable was the stock?

Thanks for posting!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezolution View Post
Hi Guys,

X-22 stock:

Old 09-03-2015, 01:49 PM
Rezolution

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Yeah, that's all the same, Armscor .22 ammo. Wind was about the same (not windy out). Same sandbags etc.

Only difference was the stock.
Old 09-03-2015, 01:54 PM
mike1050

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bTanZ View Post
any report on accuracy vs. what you were running prior??

Just put the stock on yesterday , no time to shoot... Too much freakin work
Old 09-03-2015, 01:57 PM
Rezolution

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I also have another set of pics from 25 yards to add in for more data but I'm not sure if they show any real difference.

The photo below is a cropped picture of my 25 yard target
from May of this year with the factory 10/22 black synthetic
stock with the laser-max barrel band removed, either 10 or 20 total rounds fired, (can't remember):

The photo below is a cropped picture of my 25 yard target
X-22 stock, 10 total rounds fired:

Armscor .22 bullets, no wind, same rests, etc. Only difference was the stock.
Old 09-04-2015, 10:45 AM
1911clone
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezolution View Post
Hi Guys,

X-22 stock:

Resolution
What, if anything had been done to your before stock before you changed it?
I have the same stock that I free floated. It made my groups worses so I installed a threaded bushing in the forearm of the stock, just in front of where the band would go. I then threaded a nylon screw into the bushing. At the range I fired 5 rounds and checked the group, tightened the screw 1/2 turn and fired another group. It improved. Kept doing this until I had 5 rounds in a 3/8s grouping.

This is what I am going to do again to my x22 stock. I need get to the range to test if it's needed.
I found that my rifle likes a little preload. This gives me the ability to tune preload.

I just went to the shop and did it.
I drilled thecsling swivel mounting drill point with a 5/32 drill bit and taped with a 10 x 32 tap. I drilled the hole completely through the barrel tray. Removed the tray and enlarged the tray hole to 3/8. I used a round 3/8 nylon rod, about 1/2 long, pushed into the new tray hole. This will push on the barrel. You adjust the preload with an 1" 10x32 Allen screw installed in the sling hole. Adjusted from the bottom of the stock with an Allen wrench.

Last edited by 1911clone; 09-04-2015 at 03:23 PM. Reason: way to mount
Old 09-04-2015, 06:43 PM
dpollard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I picked one up today. Overall I am happy with the stock. The gap in the back does not bother me and I didn't even notice it until I saw this thread. I added a sling stud to the front so I could add the bipod. Hopefully I'll be able to get out an shoot it soon. The action fit very snugly into the stock for me.

Old 09-04-2015, 08:03 PM
Rezolution

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911clone View Post
Resolution
I have the same stock that I free floated. It made my groups worses so I installed a threaded bushing in the forearm of the stock, just in front of where the band would go.

The gun grouped very poorly out of the box with the factory stock and lasermax barel band. All I did was remove the laser max barrel band. The laser only worked to about 20 feet in sunlight anyway. It's a piece of junk.

After I remover the laser max barrel band, my group sizes got about twice as good. No other modifications were made to the stock.
Old 09-05-2015, 09:33 AM
bTanZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
let us know how it goes when you get to testing???

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911clone View Post
Resolution
I have the same stock that I free floated. It made my groups worses so I installed a threaded bushing in the forearm of the stock, just in front of where the band would go. I then threaded a nylon screw into the bushing. At the range I fired 5 rounds and checked the group, tightened the screw 1/2 turn and fired another group. It improved. Kept doing this until I had 5 rounds in a 3/8s grouping.

This is what I am going to do again to my x22 stock. I need get to the range to test if it's needed.
I found that my rifle likes a little preload. This gives me the ability to tune preload.

I just went to the shop and did it.
I drilled thecsling swivel mounting drill point with a 5/32 drill bit and taped with a 10 x 32 tap. I drilled the hole completely through the barrel tray. Removed the tray and enlarged the tray hole to 3/8. I used a round 3/8 nylon rod, about 1/2 long, pushed into the new tray hole. This will push on the barrel. You adjust the preload with an 1" 10x32 Allen screw installed in the sling hole. Adjusted from the bottom of the stock with an Allen wrench.
Old 09-05-2015, 10:49 AM
bTanZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Magpul X22 Hunter Range Test Results / Report

results of range test ... on average Hogue Over-molded Stock shot 0.208inch tighter group then the Magpul X22 Hunter Stock. disappointing results as i really favor the Magpul "A2" grip angle and easy mlok bipod mount... now i need to choose my path forward. Hoping some guys here will figure out the 'magic' bedding formula for Magpul X22 Hunter so i can follow .... ??

also take note of the results with the bbl channel removed entirely ... they are better then with the bbl channel in ... i hope this is a good basis for the real smart guys to find a bedding solution and share ...

i ran out of daylight but wonder if another set of tests altering "take down screw" torque ... 15in lbs -vs.- (spec.) 20in lbs -vs- 25in lbs would be valuable data ... thoughts??

worthy of note with the same dumb-dumb behind the glass my CZ455 shot a best/couple 3-shot groups @ 0.375"

note: this is the first time i did any kind of formal performance study on the 10/22 ... now knowing it performs outside 1MOA i also want to take a closer look at tightening the 10/22 groups in total to perform more like my CZ455 ... PM suggestions if you have some 10/22 specific experience??

Last edited by bTanZ; 09-05-2015 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-05-2015, 06:11 PM
1911clone
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I went to the range this morning. Opened at 10:00. I was 30 minutes late getting there. At that point all lanes were full as was the lobby. People waiting in the lot. ( too many people in this state. miss the deserts of home.)

I was told it would be like this the whole weekend and worse Tuesday.
I refuse to fight the crowd.
When I can get in and test, I'll post results.
Old 09-05-2015, 07:29 PM
williamwallace
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bTanZ View Post
results of range test ... on average Hogue Over-molded Stock shot 0.208inch tighter group then the Magpul X22 Hunter Stock. disappointing results as i really favor the Magpul "A2" grip angle and easy mlok bipod mount... now i need to choose my path forward. Hoping some guys here will figure out the 'magic' bedding formula for Magpul X22 Hunter so i can follow .... ??

also take note of the results with the bbl channel removed entirely ... they are better then with the bbl channel in ... i hope this is a good basis for the real smart guys to find a bedding solution and share ...

i ran out of daylight but wonder if another set of tests altering "take down screw" torque ... 15in lbs -vs.- (spec.) 20in lbs -vs- 25in lbs would be valuable data ... thoughts??

worthy of note with the same dumb-dumb behind the glass my CZ455 shot a best/couple 3-shot groups @ 0.375" I

note: this is the first time i did any kind of formal performance study on the 10/22 ... now knowing it performs outside 1MOA i also want to take a closer look at tightening the 10/22 groups in total to perform more like my CZ455 ... PM suggestions if you have some 10/22 specific experience??
Tks for posting. Kinda of disappointing. I was hoping to replace my Hogue Overmold with the X22
Old 09-06-2015, 12:19 AM
roamingaz
Emergency Medical Technician NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I finally have my rifle together, the receiver is from a SR22, trigger is Volquartsen everything else is Kidd. This is my first time using any Kidd products and amazed at the quality even compared to other higher end parts. The Kidd bolt and recoil spring is a huge improvement over stock and will be replacing the springs in my other 10/22.
I am still annoyed with the gap in the receiver/stock fit but I can live with it and after everything is put together it isn't as noticable, I guess I expected more from a company like Magpul.
I am working on uploading more pictures and video but for now if anyone is interested I have a brief overview video I just posted.
Magpul Hunter X-22 preview
Old 09-06-2015, 11:19 AM
blfuller

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
What type of swivel stud is the forearm set up for, one for a machine screw and nut or wood screw?