Magpul Hunter x22 has arrived - Page 4 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-31-2015, 03:07 PM
bTanZ
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

one of the other replies mentioned you were "from Magpul" ...

Question: could the boss on the forend be ground down to 'fully float' the barrel ?? any other thoughts or considerations you care to share??

thanks!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlmj View Post
The grip panels can be removed, but you may break the tabs. They hide the cross-bolt that holds the stock halves together at that point.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:49 PM
1911clone
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bTanZ View Post
I just spoke with Daniel at Magpul (tech support/option #4) ... the stock is designed not to free float the bbl. He sighted the idea that 10/22 bbls. come with barrel bands.

I mentioned that 0.920bbl 10/22 do not have bands and to my knowledge/experience the bbl was full floating ... he advocated to the contrary and suggested there will be no negative implication to accuracy running there 'non full floated' set up.

I further asked ... so no matter where i rest the stock/bag/rest there will be no change in impact as a result of pressure on the bbl.? he replied no.

so def. time for some empirical testing to verify my worry is unfounded...i hope to get to it later this week or hear from someone who already has???

meanwhile i would still love to hear some experience on 'fully floated' 10/22
vs. not floated... I'll start a new thread "10/22 fully floated or not" here and see what people are willing to share...
I free floated the barrel on my 10/22 and found that it hurt accuracy.

Yet removing the barrel band improved it.
I ended up installing an screw that I could adjust for preload in the barrel band area of the stock.

I know that some rifles like different things in this respect.
You try it one step at a time and test.
Old 08-31-2015, 07:55 PM
Drabba

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
heres a couple more pics I know my dremel skills are a little off.

Old 08-31-2015, 08:19 PM
williamwallace
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Nice job. Tks for posting
Old 08-31-2015, 09:03 PM
les_garten

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabba View Post
heres a couple more pics I know my dremel skills are a little off.

Nice freakin' job there Homes!

Thanx.

Old 09-01-2015, 12:09 AM
sgtlmj
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911clone View Post
It's good to see that someone from Magpul is following this.
Used to be. I worked there during the X22 project and helped test it a bit. Got a better gig now though, as a stay at home dad. Much harder work, but far more rewarding. More time to shoot 22's with my boys.

There are a lot of rimfire aficionados at Magpul, and while we didn't get everything on our wish list with this stock, it turned out great.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:34 PM
elkkiller

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Got to handle one today really like the fit and feel of the stock would make a great all around stock.
Old 09-02-2015, 05:32 AM
williamwallace
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkkiller View Post
Got to handle one today really like the fit and feel of the stock would make a great all around stock.

Exactly what I'm looking for. Tks
Old 09-02-2015, 09:15 AM
MislMan
US Air Force Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
For those of you that already have this stock, can the reversible barrel channel insert be left out entirely. If so, could someone please shoot their gun with the channel in place and with the channel removed and compare accuracy. I assume (we know what that means) removing the channel insert would free float the barrel. If more accurate with channel removed, the insert might be modified to provide a free floated barrel with a finished look.

Thanks ... Larry S.
Old 09-02-2015, 10:41 AM
bTanZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Larry .. great thinking, i'll add that to my test plan & time allowing get us some data

Quote:
Originally Posted by MislMan View Post
For those of you that already have this stock, can the reversible barrel channel insert be left out entirely. If so, could someone please shoot their gun with the channel in place and with the channel removed and compare accuracy. I assume (we know what that means) removing the channel insert would free float the barrel. If more accurate with channel removed, the insert might be modified to provide a free floated barrel with a finished look.

Thanks ... Larry S.
Old 09-02-2015, 12:00 PM
bTanZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Larry ... over lunch i took a closer look and the bbl channel supports the first 1.25" of the bbl (near the receiver) and also support the bbl at the long end of the forend. So removing the bbl channel & testing will of course leave only the receiver supported.

If i can squeeze it in the testing i will (unless someone beats me to it?) assuming the receiver/gun is properly supported with bbl channel out as it appears it will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bTanZ View Post
Larry .. great thinking, i'll add that to my test plan & time allowing get us some data
Old 09-02-2015, 02:44 PM
KCTate08
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! GOA Member

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I have the black stock with a black receiver. The gap is less than I see with yours, but it's there. I wouldn't have noticed until I read this. It's a very tight fit, esp. with a vitron bolt buffer. The barrel tray is also very tight, and takes a bit of patience to pry it out without breaking it. The bull barrel rests on a lip at the end of the barrel tray, so it's not free-floated. But it groups pretty well, in spite of this.
Old 09-02-2015, 08:38 PM
Frankly

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Wondering if I want to use my official Magpul™® sling with two QD buttons, which of the numerous plastic do-dads should I be getting for each end of the rifle?

Have to look properly tactical you know ;-p
Old 09-03-2015, 12:26 PM
bTanZ

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
so this post will be a bit long and a copy/paste from an e-mail exchange between me "Bill" & a friend "Drew" (Trained Gunsmith & competitive shooter, later moved on to be a machinist). Good bad or otherwise my background is engineering ...

thought it may be appropriate for the continued investigation/learning into the X22. If the T-storms hold off i hope to execute a "test plan" (hogue vs X22) this evening since i have otherwise been unable to find any 'good' data..

++++++++++++++++
Drew,

you're the closest thing we got so you're the expert ...

I (like everyone) have a Ruger 10/22 with a 0.920" bull bbl. presently it's in a Hogue overmolded stock and that stock 'free floats' the barrel. it works great...

Magpul just released their "Hunter X22" stock for the 10/22 and i decided to grab one of the first ones since i am generally a Magpul fan boy, and more importantly because it offers a near "A2" grip angle i have come to like.

here's the catch & the question .... i was surprised to see the Magpul stock is not a fully floated barrel channel. Essentially the receiver is supported, then its free floated until the very distal/muzzle end of the forend where there's a rib that purposely supports the bbl...it wasn't designed to free float...i called magpul and they confirmed.

so free float a 10/22 bull barrel or not??? what kind of thoughts and/or experiences can you share??

I CCed Miles and Phil thinking they may be interested in your thoughts too

Thanks!
Bill
+++++++++++++++++++++++++
Hey Bill et all,

Thanks for the helmet polishing.... My experience with the free floaters is with Winchester 52 bull barrel tgt pieces and a couple of hunting Win 70 bolt hunters. What I was taught was the full action and 2.5" of barrel fully captured in the stock and the forward section full float. Now with that in mind, the earlier 52's had two adjustable screws that actually were designed to contact the barrel about 2" from the end and you made tension against the barrel, adjustment was based upon accuracy, some of the earlier 52B's actually had a band that went over the top. We never did anything other than have those make contact after cleaning or shooting in the rain because the old wooden stocks would swell and shrink with moisture. Other than moving toward the trend of free floating we never really saw much of a difference in accuracy, ammo was our greatest bang for the effort. Between pieces like ammo will sometimes group differently and it used to drive us nuts with 3 of us all with 52's. My Dad didn't like grey areas, it was either hot / cold, black / white etc. to have like barrels same stock setup close in serial ##'s etc. and one would group less than 1" at 100yds and the sister barrel would shoot 3" would send him right to the home brew.... When shooting competitively we bought 10k rds at a time so you can see where the jam would be.

I have no idea why they would have the forward end sitting on a rib unless they thought the action attach and bedding of it wasn't supporting the barrel properly. What is holding the barrel to the stock at the end or is it just sitting on it? If there is tension against the barrel as the stock is tightened they must have it figured pretty good because I would imagine that force could change accuracy just on how tight the action was screwed in. It's been a long time since I've seen a 10/22 out of a stock where you can see what's actually touching to hold it all tight. After testing the new stock against old using same ammo, same rest setup, same day etc. you may find why they did it.

ttyl
Regards,
+++++++++++++++++++++++
Old 09-03-2015, 12:30 PM
mike1050

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1441297788.493814.jpg