Magpul Hunter x22 has arrived - Page 3 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 08-28-2015, 06:46 PM
Winmagbill

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)

Been following this thread and got mine today. Got the gap. Got the tight fit. Got a nice trigger grip and it shoulders well. Pretty happy with it for the price point. I'm hesitant to post pictures because mine is just a 40 year old gun with no do dads except a goofy Faux flash hider do-hickey I got 35 years ago. Now I'm thinking I need a new .920 barrel, a dedicated scope, and Power Custom hammer & sear combo.

Old 08-29-2015, 07:00 PM
Razor10/22
National Guard

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice.
Old 08-30-2015, 06:08 PM
bTanZ
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
ok ... got mine too.

my really old(aluminum trigger guard) 10/22 receiver fits wonderfully with no gap. fit and finish is standard Magpul goodness... a few thoughts on initial fit and handling:

-could use some texture on the forend similar to the grip texture
-0.920 Green Mountain bbl sits on the boss, presumably by intention ... i expected free float like the Hogue i was running prior...??
- 0.5" cheek riser gives me perfect alignment down CL of glass when laying on the gun in prone (scope CL 1" above receiver in Weigand Integramount)

i have yet to test it for performance & I'm initially only disappointed it's not a free floated bbl set up ... I intend to call Magpul tomorrow and learn why they chose to build in the stock/bbl support feature...any thoughts on full float vs. supported (ie. Magpul config.) from all of you would be very welcome?

Also anxious to hear accuracy results ... i'll post as soon as i can test

Old 08-30-2015, 07:03 PM
williamwallace
Law Enforcement Officer NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ordered mine last week. The OD green Is back ordered. I went with the magpul for Similar reasons. Along with weight and my applications. Replacing my hogue overmold. Looking forward to your range report.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bTanZ View Post
ok ... got mine too.

my really old(aluminum trigger guard) 10/22 receiver fits wonderfully with no gap. fit and finish is standard Magpul goodness... a few thoughts on initial fit and handling:

-0.920 Green Mountain bbl sits on the boss, presumably by intention ... i expected free float like the Hogue i was running prior...??
- 0.5" cheek riser gives me perfect alignment down CL of glass when laying on the gun in prone (scope CL 1" above receiver in Weigand Integramount)

i have yet to test it for performance & I'm initially only disappointed it's not a free floated bbl set up ... I intend to call Magpul tomorrow and learn why they chose to build in the stock/bbl support feature...any thoughts on full float vs. supported (ie. Magpul config.) from all of you would be very welcome?

Old 08-30-2015, 07:16 PM
wintweedie
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Hunter x 22 stock fit

This to show how little gap there is between the rear of my Kidd receiver and stock. Only other comment is that I can move the fore end of the stock side to side so it touches barrel by pressing on it. I took rifle to range and it shot very nice groups using my red dot at around 35 yards. I was shooting Federal target grade bulk pack 22 lr.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (442.4 KB, 142 views)
Old 08-30-2015, 08:13 PM
les_garten

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Do you guys think there is any way to grind it out, fill maybe with epoxy if need be and use the Kidd rear anchor?
Old 08-30-2015, 08:28 PM
wintweedie
US Navy Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Really think if you want use the Kidd receiver with the rear tange you would be happier with the Titan stock. Sounds like you are into super accuracy. The reason I chose the magpul stock is because it is a good hunting and tactical stock. Saying that the stock drops away quickly behind the receiver so don't know. Plus don't know how well stock will accept epoxy.
Old 08-30-2015, 08:33 PM
les_garten

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wintweedie View Post
Really think if you want use the Kidd receiver with the rear tange you would be happier with the Titan stock. Sounds like you are into super accuracy. The reason I chose the magpul stock is because it is a good hunting and tactical stock. Saying that the stock drops away quickly behind the receiver so don't know. Plus don't know how well stock will accept epoxy.
Hi, the Titan is heavier than I want. I am settled on a MacMillan Sporter, but would Love to find something that was light that doesn't cost as much as the McMillan. The McMillan weighs 1# 11oz and is probably where I'm going, but wanted to ask anyway for completeness.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:20 AM
Drabba

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
installed Kidd tang on mine. I used a dremel to grind out all the polymer. Its a little messy but it turned out all right.

Last edited by Drabba; 08-31-2015 at 03:22 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 03:40 AM
les_garten

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabba View Post
installed Kidd tang on mine. I used a dremel to grind out all the polymer. Its a little messy but it turned out all right.
Groovy! Did you get a long bolt and countersink a nut into the bottom?

Feel free to post more PIX!
Old 08-31-2015, 03:47 AM
Drabba

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
no I drilled out for the nut the handle on the stock is somewhat hollow. So I packed it with some Devcon. Its in there very well. I think if you REALLY wanted to you could remove them grippy parts on the handle. you can see little tiny slots. I will try and tear it down tomorrow and get some pics for you if I can get the time.

Last edited by Drabba; 08-31-2015 at 04:02 AM.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:04 AM
sgtlmj
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drabba View Post
no I drilled out for the nut the handle on the stock is somewhat hollow. So I packed it with some Devcon. Its in there very well. I think if you REALLY wanted to you could remove them grippy parts on the handle. you can see little tiny slots. I will try and tear it down tomorrow and get some pics for you if I can get the time.
The grip panels can be removed, but you may break the tabs. They hide the cross-bolt that holds the stock halves together at that point.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:07 AM
1911clone
US Marines Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlmj View Post
The grip panels can be removed, but you may break the tabs. They hide the cross-bolt that holds the stock halves together at that point.
It's good to see that someone from Magpul is following this.
Old 08-31-2015, 10:22 AM
bTanZ
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
I just spoke with Daniel at Magpul (tech support/option #4) ... the stock is designed not to free float the bbl. He sighted the idea that 10/22 bbls. come with barrel bands.

I mentioned that 0.920bbl 10/22 do not have bands and to my knowledge/experience the bbl was full floating ... he advocated to the contrary and suggested there will be no negative implication to accuracy running there 'non full floated' set up.

I further asked ... so no matter where i rest the stock/bag/rest there will be no change in impact as a result of pressure on the bbl.? he replied no.

so def. time for some empirical testing to verify my worry is unfounded...i hope to get to it later this week or hear from someone who already has???

meanwhile i would still love to hear some experience on 'fully floated' 10/22
vs. not floated... I'll start a new thread "10/22 fully floated or not" here and see what people are willing to share...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bTanZ View Post
ok ... got mine too.

Old 08-31-2015, 11:25 AM
les_garten

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtlmj View Post
So you wouldn't be able to drill down from the Rear tang to run a bolt down?

Or Fix in a bushing?

I was unable to understand what the other guy did with his hold down.