Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 07-13-2015, 09:09 AM
Langford

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ebay 10/22 stock thread

There are a few of us here on RFC who collect odd, rare and unique 10/22 stocks, and lately... ebay is the best place to find them. A few guys have shown interest in having a place where one of us can call dibs on a stock that they "have to own" so we aren't driving the price up on eachother unknowingly. Obviously this will be on the honor system, but if more than one person really wants it...anything is fair in war , just let it be known beforehand.

This post will be the place to stake your claim, share links for others who may be looking for that one unique stock, or trade some friendly banter about stock scores that they've recently made. Feel free to post links to auctions, pictures of stocks that you've found, claim an auction as one you really would like to own, tips and tricks that you use to find unique stocks, before and after restoration photos of eBay scores, or anything related to this subject.

Last edited by Langford; 07-13-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-13-2015, 09:33 AM
Langford

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Ok, to start it off...I almost hate to share this tip, because I've used it to score a handful of gorgeous stocks with 0 bids.

The keyword search...keep it vague. I always search for "10/22 stock", and instead of keeping the search criteria as best match, go to newly listed. It'll take a while to look through everything the first time, but eventually you'll get to the point where you'll recognize the stocks you've already looked at, and just have to look over the first page or two to see the new ones. Call me obsessive, but I usual look once sometime in the morning, and again in the evening.

Ok, now to the tip. Like mentioned, I always search for "10/22 stock", that by far will give you the best search results. But every once in a while, somebody lists their auction as "1022 stock", if there is no space, dash, or anything in between the 10 and 22, you won't see the auctions in the search results if you searched for "10/22, 10-22, 10 22, etc".

So just by searching "1022 stock", you'll only get a few results...but sometimes a gem is hidden there.

My $30 find using that tip, 0 bids, original walnut stock, metal buttplate.

And after refinishing...

Old 07-13-2015, 10:26 AM
CBurke

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
That is a beautiful stock! How did you refinish it (if this is ot, I apologize)

Old 07-13-2015, 10:59 AM
Langford

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
That one was pretty rough, I had to sand it down completely, steam some dents out, reshape the forend because it was cracked, and then I finish sanded down to 1000 grit. After that, just tru oil finish. I start with applying a few coats, then sand it down with 2000 grit. Repeat that process until all of the pores in the wood are filled, and then a few more light coats if thinned down tru oil with mineral spirits.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:52 AM
Langford

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Anybody looking for a striped 10/22 stock, this one is decent...it's listed as walnut, but it looks like a striped birch stock to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-10-22-...item28038ef78a
Old 07-15-2015, 07:13 AM
crackedcornish
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Langford View Post
Anybody looking for a striped 10/22 stock, this one is decent...it's listed as walnut, but it looks like a striped birch stock to me.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ruger-10-22-...item28038ef78a
not bad...not bad at all

---if any of you guys happen to see a Compact stock with this type of figure, I would really appreciate a heads up on it ---
Old 07-15-2015, 08:40 AM
billysue
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Nice looking stock Langsford. I can't really tell if it is walnut, birch or beech. They don't have the blowup feature on it so I can get a better look.
Anyone interested in it? I don't need it but will bid if none of you guys are going to play. Looks to be in really good shape.

Advise,

billy
Old 07-15-2015, 08:52 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by billysue View Post
Nice looking stock Langsford. I can't really tell if it is walnut, birch or beech. They don't have the blowup feature on it so I can get a better look.
Anyone interested in it? I don't need it but will bid if none of you guys are going to play. Looks to be in really good shape.

Advise,

billy
go for it!
Old 07-15-2015, 09:27 AM
ivan

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by crackedcornish View Post
not bad...not bad at all

---if any of you guys happen to see a Compact stock with this type of figure, I would really appreciate a heads up on it ---
Shouldn't be too hard to convert a standard carbine stock to a CRR style - chop the curve of the butt even with the spot where the butt plate attaches up top, chop the knob off the end for the barrel band, reshape some...
Old 07-15-2015, 10:01 AM
crackedcornish

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivan View Post
Shouldn't be too hard to convert a standard carbine stock to a CRR style - chop the curve of the butt even with the spot where the butt plate attaches up top, chop the knob off the end for the barrel band, reshape some...
thought about doing just that, but that type of mod leaves the length of pull a bit too short..11 3/4" for the modded stock compared to 12 3/4" for a Compact
Old 07-15-2015, 12:17 PM
jt59

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you have some spare time search "rifle stock" or "unknown wood stock". I got a stock for very little cost. The seller did not what it was, but had good pictures.
Old 07-15-2015, 03:44 PM
Langford

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
This thread was created for 10/22's, but if anybody has a savage mkii, it doesn't get much better than this for a striped stock.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/Savage-Stock-M...239?nav=SEARCH
Old 07-15-2015, 04:08 PM

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
If that was a 10/22 stock, LET THE BIDDING BEGIN $$$$$$$
Old 07-15-2015, 04:26 PM
Langford

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danv View Post
If that was a 10/22 stock, LET THE BIDDING BEGIN $$$$$$$
Lol, I think there would be an all out war for that one. Haha.

And I won't deny looking at savage mkii's for the past hour...considered buying one just to have a reason to buy that stock.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:38 PM
billysue
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
If you are going to buy a rifle gun just so you can justify buying a stock, you need to consider making an appointment with Dr. Phil !!!