Show us your stripes!!! - Page 2 - RimfireCentral.com Forums

Go Back   RimfireCentral.com Forums > >

Notices

Join Team RFC to remove these ads.

Old 09-28-2014, 09:43 PM
Milkeeg74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)

Langford, thank you for taking the time to take all those pics! I love the wavy lines on the forearm of the first birch. But man does the second birch look awesome! I was wondering how polished parts would look. I thought that the shine would take away from the glimmer of the stock. It certainly does NOT on yours! After seeing that I had to check the fit of one of my metal buttplates on mine. The length is perfect but is is a lil slim in the middle. Did yours fit or did you shape the stock at all to match the plate a lil better?
Turmite and Chaser, the blonde stripes are really starting to grow on me. Turmite, love that raffle rifle stock! Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship!!
Thanks for taking the time to post guys. Ya gotta love Mother Nature!
Greg
Old 09-28-2014, 09:47 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (51)
First of all, Congrats Greg! That's a nice looking stock. If it's the one I'm thinking of, you almost had a little competition but something told me to let it go. I'm glad it's you that got it.

I don't think we could ever have too many threads like this one. To be able to see and appreciate all these beautiful stocks is awesome. Hopefully I'll get to join in soon.

Tony
Old 09-28-2014, 10:02 PM
turmite
National Guard

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkeeg74 View Post
Langford, thank you for taking the time to take all those pics! I love the wavy lines on the forearm of the first birch. But man does the second birch look awesome! I was wondering how polished parts would look. I thought that the shine would take away from the glimmer of the stock. It certainly does NOT on yours! After seeing that I had to check the fit of one of my metal buttplates on mine. The length is perfect but is is a lil slim in the middle. Did yours fit or did you shape the stock at all to match the plate a lil better?
Turmite and Chaser, the blonde stripes are really starting to grow on me. Turmite, love that raffle rifle stock! Absolutely beautiful craftsmanship!!
Greg
Thank you Greg, It is one of my favorites that I have ever done. Good Lord willing, I will be adding that stock to my product line shortly. While I have the program and can carve them just like I carved the base stock that the raffle rifle came from, but I have almost 40 hrs of hand shaping, sanding etc and 8 of those hours were dedicated just to the little shadow line! My next goal for this design is to put my RAR into it with a new custom barrel, and I may go with an octagon on it as well.

Mike

ps how would intensly figured curly walnut look for this?

Old 09-29-2014, 01:09 AM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Some real beauties in here!
Old 09-29-2014, 01:18 AM
ronpaul50
US Army Veteran NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Nice!
Old 09-29-2014, 12:28 PM
Langford

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milkeeg74 View Post
Greg
Thanks, I've been lucky to find these three...but my eyes are always on the lookout for more . I stumbled on a "twin" to the first birch stock last week, but for a Remington 700 ADL...the wavy lines are amazingly similar, they could honestly be two blanks cut from the same tree in the same spot. I've got it sanded down to 220 grit right now, I hope to have it finished for my .243 before hunting season opens here.

As for the buttplate, that one came off of the walnut stock I posted. Width wise, it was almost perfect for the birch...slightly wider at the bottom, and about 1/8" too long. 30 minutes on a belt sander took care of that, along with about a half hour to polish it up.
Old 09-29-2014, 06:29 PM
SteveCornell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
My stripes

Here's one I'm working on....
It's a Don Stith curly maple stock, I added Ebony end caps, this is sanded to 600 grit, sprayed down with strong tea, let set over night and ammonia fumed for 1 hour.
I plan to shellac to seal and finish with lacquer.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.n...2ad0be0e5d2084

Last edited by SteveCornell; 09-29-2014 at 06:48 PM.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:04 PM
Markbo
NRA Member - Click Here To Join! UotM

TPC Rating: 
100% (5)
You're going to have to edumacate us some here Steve... what does ammonia fuming do???

Last edited by Markbo; 09-30-2014 at 06:45 AM.
Old 09-29-2014, 10:43 PM
SteveCornell

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
It brings out the grain and ages the look of the wood, here's a link with some good information...
http://www.rimfirecentral.com/forums...ammonia+fuming

There is no stain at all on this stock, the tea adds the tannins to the Maple (not needed with many other species) and the ammonia fuming does the rest.

Last edited by SteveCornell; 09-29-2014 at 10:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2014, 02:12 PM
Milkeeg74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
Mike, the fella who won that rifle now has a family heirloom for sure. I think that stock would be a no brainer to add to your line up! I'm looking forward to seeing your RAR project when you get to it. You do amazing work!

Langford, when you are ready you must share your sister stock with us here. Somehow I have a small pile of 10/22 stocks laying around now. I think I am going to take the plate off my 68 and check the fit on each one. Just to see how the stocks differ throughout the years for s and giggles.

Tony, thanks, I may or may not have overpaid for the stock. That's the joy of eBay I guess. I really need to stop looking on there.

Steve, that stock is sweet!!! I have not checked the stock refinishing forum in a while. Are you going to do a thread on it there? I read the thread you linked to, the process is pretty interesting.
Greg
Old 09-30-2014, 02:59 PM
futurerider103

TPC Rating: 
100% (1)
Not a 10/22 but its my first stripes
Old 09-30-2014, 03:02 PM
Milkeeg74

TPC Rating: 
0% (0)
VERY nice Futurerider, looks to be accurate also What kind of rifle is that?
Old 09-30-2014, 04:26 PM
NRA Member - Click Here To Join!

TPC Rating: 
100% (4)
A work in progress... lotsa stripes here!

Old 09-30-2014, 06:07 PM
iron85

TPC Rating: 
100% (34)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ek-marlin-424 View Post
A work in progress... lotsa stripes here!

The rest please!
Old 09-30-2014, 06:10 PM
Langford

TPC Rating: 
100% (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by futurerider103 View Post
Not a 10/22 but its my first stripes
That stock is spectacular...seeing those pictures a while back motivated me to start hunting for one for my Rem 700. The one I found is NOWHERE near as figured, but much better than the black synthetic stock it came with.